Three dead, one injured after pickup truck crashes into Si Racha Highway vehicle painting the road

webfact

screenshot_14259.jpg

PHOTO: Si Racha Press

By Goong Nang(GN)

Si Racha – Three people have been pronounced dead at the scene after a pickup truck crashed into a municipal highway truck that was conducting construction work, painting traffic lanes on the motorway.

The Si Racha Police was notified of the accident on Sunday night near midnight (July 11th) on Motorway 7 Section 2 in Bang Phra.

Emergency responders and associated local Thai media arrived at the scene to find a severely damaged white pickup truck impacted into the back of a highway construction truck on the motorway.

Rescue workers found the body of a highway worker, Mr. Anuchit Jitrak, 24, from Ubon Ratchathani, lying in the middle of the motorway.

Two people were found dead inside the pickup truck who were named by law enforcement as Mr. Winai Leedee, 30, and Ms. Ampa Jantanee, 33.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/13/three-dead-one-injured-after-pickup-truck-crashes-into-si-racha-highway-vehicle-painting-the-road/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

My wife and I have always commented, when we encounter line painters at work,

"Oh, the suicide squad is out again!"

Not far removed from the truth, it seems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I wonder when they will start to see how it should be done................

roadworks cone flashing on UK motorway at evening with traffic passing -  Buy this stock photo and explore similar images at Adobe Stock | Adobe Stock

It would be great to see something like this happen in Thailand.

Of course though, it would probably cause more deaths, as the dopey drivers, would all try to get out off the closed lane, and into the other lanes at the last milli-second!

Each time I go to Thailand. I think to myself, surely, Thai driving will improve, even a smidgen. Of course, I'm always disappointed.

I just honestly don't know what they can do to "educate" the average Thai driver, they don't want to learn anything about road safety. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roo860 said:

And of course driving at high speed in the rain, as the surviving white liner said the pick-up was.

All countries that have low depth rates have road safety policies that take into account people who drive too fast or not according to the road conditions. Unfortunately Thailand does not appreciate this..

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... but beyond this there needs to be a complete ‘cultural shift’ towards recognition of consequence...

In every single facet of society and life here consequence is very rarely considered particularly when it comes to safety.

There is a lot of talk and reactionary condemnation when something terrible happens, but when consequences are considered advance the general reaction is someone is being difficult rather than considerate.

Every country has idiot drivers. 

1 hour ago, welshguy said:

Quite true.

Unfortunately though, Thailand has more, (much more) than its fair share of idiot drivers.

THat's not actually true. Most farangs don't realise how their home country protects them from idiot drivers and of course themselves.  When they come to Thailand they have to fend for themselves and fail miserably - but they till believe they are good drivers, so it must be everybody else's fault.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, welshguy said:

It would be great to see something like this happen in Thailand.

Of course though, it would probably cause more deaths, as the dopey drivers, would all try to get out off the closed lane, and into the other lanes at the last milli-second!

That's exactly what would happen.

14 hours ago, welshguy said:

I just honestly don't know what they can do to "educate" the average Thai driver, they don't want to learn anything about road safety. 

I don't think its difficult at all.  Whilst accepting that driver training is woefully inadequate and that a 10 year old could pass a Thai driving test after a couple of hour's training, its about proper ENFORCEMENT of the rules and respect for the LAW.

We all criticise Thai drivers (me too) but, given the free rein that they are, would it be so different in our countries?  There are good and bad in all races and I've seen some hideous driving in the UK but it just doesn't happen anywhere near as much as it does in Thailand........why?  Because in the UK people get punished properly for their wrong doing.  I for example, whilst not being one of those lunatics would probably break the speed limit far more than I do if I thought that all I'd get was a small fine and no points on my licence.  Points on my licence would also lead to an increased insurance premium - no such punishment in Thailand.

There is very little incentive to obey the law - e.g. my ex never took a test so never had a licence.  She got stopped at checkpoints a couple of times and each time simply told the police she'd left her licence at home. The police love such offenders because the 200 baht 'fine' covers lunch or a few bottles of Chang.

I discussed this with my wife a while back and whilst she agrees there is very little enforcement she also commented that its also about respect - how do you respect a police officer that fines you and puts the fine in his back pocket?

I don't think it would be very long before the UK or any other country had anarchy on its roads if there was very little enforcement of the law and what little enforcement there was, was largely bent.

One has to wonder why the points system that was supposed to be coming in a couple of years ago hasn't happened yet? Could it be that a certain part of Thailand's law enforcement community don't actually want such a system?

Discussing this whilst out with a mix of Thai's and foreigners a while back one Thai friend commented that very few Thai drivers would still have their licence if a points system is brought in - to which my reply was.......and?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, welshguy said:

Quite true.

Unfortunately though, Thailand has more, (much more) than its fair share of idiot drivers.

THat's not actually true. Most farangs don't realise how their home country protects them from idiot drivers and of course themselves.  When they come to Thailand they have to fend for themselves and fail miserably - but they till believe they are good drivers, so it must be everybody else's fault.

• Confused 1

On 7/13/2021 at 4:51 AM, smedly said:

These workers on highways rarely provide adequate traffic control measures or warnings to prevent this sort of carnage 

very sad they are not trained properly and end up putting themselves and others in danger

RIP

That's very true but irrespective how well well trained they may be and provided with adequate safety measure you will still have total morons in tarted up pick-ups unable to understand any sort of road craft and safe driving skills.

I wouldnt class myself as a great driver. Just "average".

However, I dont 

drive straight through a red light (and I dont mean one that has "just" changed to red....but one which has been red for a good few seconds)..some of these clowns. seem to think the faster they go through a red light, the safer they will be.

pull straight out of a junction without looking .

drive about a metre from the car in front,

"cut up" traffic in an inside lane when Im turning ,

drive with a mobile practically stuck to my ear,

drive on pavements.

drive the wrong way on roads.

Add on the raving loonies on motorbikes?!!!

Jeez where to start? 

4 or more on a bike, kids driving bikes, people literally carrying babes in arms on bikes

(worst Ive seen, was a I assume husband and wife. driving sown soi khaotalo, the husband driving, wife on the back in EACH arm she was somehow holding a baby!! A babe in arms in BOTH arms.) etc etc etc.

Add to this, the ease of obtaining a driving license, the total lack of any proper road policing, not great maintenance  (roads/signals/lighting/vehicles etc etc..

PS. I almost forgot u-turns!!

Edited by welshguy
spelling
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, welshguy said:

I wouldnt class myself as a great driver. Just "average".

However, I dont 

drive straight through a red light (and I dont mean one that has "just" changed to red....but one which has been red for a good few seconds)..some of these clowns. seem to think the faster they go through a red light, the safer they will be.

pull straight out of a junction without looking .

drive about a metre from the car in front,

"cut up" traffic in an inside lane when Im turning ,

drive with a mobile practically stuck to my ear,

drive on pavements.

drive the wrong way on roads.

Add on the raving loonies on motorbikes?!!!

Jeez where to start? 

4 or more on a bike, kids driving bikes, people literally carrying babes in arms on bikes

(worst Ive seen, was a I assume husband and wife. driving sown soi khaotalo, the husband driving, wife on the back in EACH arm she was somehow holding a baby!! A babe in arms in BOTH arms.) etc etc etc.

Add to this, the ease of obtaining a driving license, the total lack of any proper road policing, not great maintenance  (roads/signals/lighting/vehicles etc etc..

PS. I almost forgot u-turns!!

These aren't uniquely Thai things - most foreign drivers when they get here basically are victims of confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Not always in the equal proportions though

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Not always in the equal proportions though

Unfortunately they are about equal....the problem if you could call it that, is that idiot drivers in places like UK, Europe etc don't realise they are idiots because of the way the traffic system works.

42 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

These aren't uniquely Thai things - most foreign drivers when they get here basically are victims of confirmation bias.

No worries mate.

We can agree to disagree.

Ive not once said, its unique to Thailand.

I said, Thailand has more than its fair share of idiot drivers.

My opinion only.

I have read that apparently Thailand has the second worst number of road deaths in the world though?

hardly any tourists in Thailand now , the road death numbers havent gone down though?

As I say, we will never agree, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Have a good day.

Edited by welshguy
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, welshguy said:

No worries mate.

We can agree to disagree.

Ive not once said, its unique to Thailand.

I said, Thailand has more than its fair share of idiot drivers.

My opinion only.

I have read that apparently Thailand has the second worst number of road deaths in the world though?

hardly any tourists in Thailand now , the road death numbers havent gone down though?

As I say, we will never agree, an opinion is just that, an opinion.

Have a good day.

"Thailand has more than its fair share of idiot drivers." - there are no numbers to back this up.[ it is your subjective opinion - as I said this is normally the result of confirmation bis.

Thailand has one of the highest death rates per 100k in the world......this does not mean that it is full of "bad drivers" - this is just an unfortunate false syllogism

To get  good idea of how road safety work - and in the case of Thailand, doesn't work, may I suggest you read this ROSPA document.

https://www.rospa.com/media/documents/road-safety/rural-road-safety-factsheet.pdf

Basically, countries with low death rates don't wast time trying to blame "bad driving" they try to contain it and minimise human error andthe damage it does. The aim being "zero" deaths.

people all over the world are the same  and their perceptions and behaviours are remarkable the same - the science of road safety successfully addresses this. However successive Thailand governments have failed to understand this despite 10 years of advice from external motoring safety orgs and events Swedish government. (the Swedes are world leaders in this.)

To improve road safety in Thailand one has to understand the basic premises before any progress ca be made..... claiming that for some reason Thai people are inherently bad drivers is a wrong premise and counterproductive,

• Confused 1