How Thailand rode out COVID waves only to be hit by ‘virus tsunami’ 

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The latest wave of COVID-19 in Thailand has dwarfed its predecessors, with daily figures surging to nearly 10,000 new cases and almost 100 deaths. So, how did Thailand get to this point after doing so well to contain the first wave last year?

An inept government, lead by Prayut & Anutin.

lets not complicate it more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Limited testing from the beginning and not importing a good vaccines (not Sinovac) is IMO the reason Thailand is up the creek along with  the backward thinking of wait and see from the PM and DPM .

Well, that happens if you relying and depending on China ignoring advices from Western countries. 

"We are Thais, we don't need advices"????

• Thanks 1

Thailand locked down. That's the bif misstake. Look at Sweden who has around 10 million people living there and lever locked down  and had a maximum of around 14k new cases/day and everything worked out great. Today, Sweden is opening up and goinf on vacation, concerts and so on.

Thailand or the Thai government just was to incompetent to make the right choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At this point it's safe to say another high season is done with for Thailand. Most households planning their winter vacation, the most economically valuable tourism segment, are doing it right about now, and, with the current state of play, no way LOS is on the short list.
Really feel for the millions of people in there whose well-being is critically dependent on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

They got their priorities mixed up:  they let the Delta variant in, and kept the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines out.

Not really. 

True is they couldn't get those vaccines because not enough on the market. 

Also they bought from China. 

And now I would say it's hard to spend money again for "real vaccines".

But hey, how about to sell some submarines? ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Look at Australia. They've had harder lockdowns that Thailand, and they're still getting cases. Harder lockdowns does not address the problem. It just delays the inevitable.

Partly. 

Because lockdowns will ease the situation in hospitals 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Got lucky in 2020; did absolutely everything wrong in 2021, starting with not ordering quality vaccines in massive quantities as soon as they were available.

There might be a problem with money? Think of all this wasted before when bought Sinovac 

• Like 2

Well it's their own stupid fault , Not controlling the Incoming and Returning Traffic  and not Closing the Country . If they had done the same as when this trouble stared it would've been not too bad.

On top of that they should've got the Vaccination going from the word go.

But then the Big Kahuna said that everything Was under Control. 

• Like 1

Article is a wash over instead sugar coating the situation. They got lucky the first time the success went to all their heads then they fell asleep and today they are still asleep with no clue as to what to do except check their bank accounts daily to see how greed can make them rich for doing zero while their people suffer from their ineptitude.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

Thailand locked down. That's the bif misstake. Look at Sweden who has around 10 million people living there and lever locked down  and had a maximum of around 14k new cases/day and everything worked out great. Today, Sweden is opening up and goinf on vacation, concerts and so on.

Thailand or the Thai government just was to incompetent to make the right choices.

I looked at Sweden and I found...  https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/world-news/europe/952521/how-sweden-went-from-coronavirus-outlier-to-europes-most-infected

On 7/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, Dialemco said:

If the Chinese vaccines are ineffective does anyone know what is happening in China?

23 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Partly. 

Because lockdowns will ease the situation in hospitals 

Many other countries allowed self quarantine, which worked. My American friends who came down with COVID stayed at home. I think I saw an article today about Thailand allowing this now. It makes no sense to put mild cases in hospitals.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

It really depends if people would have had the stomach for the same amount of deaths in Thailand.

Sweden had 14,600 dead from covid for a population of 10 million. To make a comparison with Thailand that has 70 million then that would be 102,000 dead in Thailand.

Do you really think that would have been the right way to go?

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Complacency.

Hubris.

Incompetent leaders. 

No vaccine ordering and stockpiling as a pre-emptive measure.

Too slow to implement local vaccine production.

Over-estimation and almost total reliance on local vaccine production. 

Failure to order any vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna or J&J.

Allowing Songkran to go ahead.

Porous borders.

Government ministers frequenting sex-clubs in Bangkok then running away and lying about it.

A lack of willpower to lockdown after Songkran when it was clear numbers were on the rise.

Stupidly allocating millions of vaccines to tourist islands instead of virus epicentres in order to implement a face-saving sandbox scheme which was doomed to abject failure.

Any more?

good feedback.

Write whatever history you wish.  Why not. 

I mentioned this before.  From the inexcusable Thong Lor incident and the subsequent government inaction to allow those from HOT-ZONEs to travel nation-wide until now - nothing is different. 
The rise is "cases" which is the "Third Wave" started then.  And it's increase to 6000+ cases.  But then the government scientists injected a new narrative.
"No no no" This isn't Wave 3.  It's Wave 4.
I'm sorry.  I've taken physics in Uni and I've surfed.
A wave in a form that rises to a peak and falls to a trough.  Wave 3 has risen to 6000 and has continued to almost 10,000. 
But the government scientists and politicians who now think they are scientist too are promoting Wave 4 - FEAR. 
This is WAVE 4.  The Delta Variant!  FEAR.

BS.  It's a continuation of the Wave 3 that started via government malfeasance by not closing the borders of the Hot-Zone and stopping infected people from traveling to the rest of the country.  

Here's the narrative - "It Not Our Fault. It's the Fault Of the Delta Virus"

Bunk!  Don't buy it.  There are people responsible for this.  This isn't not a "variant' that has caused a wave. 
The 'wave' has been building since Songkran and the 'responsible' are those who did NOTHING to stop it.

Edited by connda

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Write whatever history you wish.  Why not. 

I mentioned this before.  From the inexcusable Thong Lor incident and the subsequent government inaction to allow those from HOT-ZONEs to travel nation-wide until now - nothing is different. 
The rise is "cases" which is the "Third Wave" started then.  And it's increase to 6000+ cases.  But then the government scientists injected a new narrative.
"No no no" This isn't Wave 3.  It's Wave 4.
I'm sorry.  I've taken physics in Uni and I've surfed.
A wave in a form that rises to a peak and falls to a trough.  Wave 3 has risen to 6000 and has continued to almost 10,000. 
But the government scientists and politicians who now think they are scientist too are promoting Wave 4 - FEAR. 
This is WAVE 4.  The Delta Variant!  FEAR.

BS.  It's a continuation of the Wave 3 that started via government malfeasance by not closing the borders of the Hot-Zone and stopping infected people from traveling to the rest of the country.  

Here's the narrative - "It Not Our Fault. It's the Fault Of the Delta Virus"

Bunk!  Don't buy it.  There are people responsible for this.  This isn't not a "variant' that has caused a wave. 
The 'wave' has been building since Songkran and the 'responsible' are those who did NOTHING to stop it.

Oh.  And they just did it again.  They opened the gates of the Hot-Zone/Red Zones and allowed the infected to travel across Thailand to infect the nation. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Not exactly lucky.  They just didn’t test enough.  And they weren’t alone.

Prior to 2020 they didn't test for covid at all..ever...in the country's entire history.