US announces Pfizer vaccine donation for Thailand - but no mention of its own nationals

webfact

Original announcement  said 20pc for foreigners  NOT American  nationals.  This must have  annoyed Thais so it has been  kept quiet.  Guess the Thai 'government '   are offsetting the foreigners  against Myanmar Laos Cambodia Phillipine French and even Wufluland already vaccinated in Thailand 

7 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Wait a second -  on Biden's first international trip he promised to gift 500 million does worldwide with 80 million delivered by the end of JUNE 2021  (7Million of the June allotment designated for South East Asia).  Those were never delivered right?  How many PR stunts in a row can the US pull without delivering any vaccines?

And of course - where the heck is MY vaccine. I'm American, paid taxes, over 60, and getting nothing but total BS from my Embassy.  

Your analysis is astounding ... due to its lack of critical thinking.

There is only one way to achieve non discriminatory vaccination in Thailand: freeze all vaccine deliveries, get all foreigners vaccinated, restart deliveries. Thais are born cheaters, especially those in power, so don't give them the slightest opportunity.

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

How many Americans are in Thailand?  Also is the Thai government going to charge their people for getting the vaccine?

Haha,, , you bet the farang will be charged for all the donated  vaccine they have received from different Countries,, nothing is free in Thailand 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

do I expect that the U.S. government will fly over a medical team to take care of me? 

How many times have you seen or been in this type of situation ?? This is not everyday needs. ???? This is not about you and not about me only, it's about all Americans. This is an Emergency. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

How many Americans are in Thailand?  Also is the Thai government going to charge their people for getting the vaccine?

I read there was something like 5000 expats?  I suspect since U.S. doesn't do a lot of oversight when they give something away their typical diplomatic way " oldest friend "  who now have their heads up the butts of the CCP the greedy Thai government most likely will sell the doses after they all get their boosters to the private hospitals.

I'm not crossing my fingers but maybe the last minute they might made an announcement to register and off to Bang Sue for the last minute Sunday shot?????

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

No I would call you more of a ingrate who expects others to make it convenient due to the inconvenience caused by your personal decision.  If you are that concerned, hop on a plane and travel back to the USA and get your free vaccine.  That is no different than if you had a medical condition and wanted the U.S. government to cover you under Medicare.  Consequence of a personal decision.  

Treating a pandemic like a run-of-the-mill medical issue is unreasonable and unfair. Biden's token donation of 500mn doses just shows that it's all for domestic show. If we want the service that we deserve, embarrasing Biden by newspapers, nightly news, social media, is our only recourse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

I believe the reason the US Embassy Bangkok and the Department of State did not step up for American expats--because they didn't want to create feelings of jealousy from the Thai people.  Now if the Thai Government, benevolently offers a portion of their gifted Pfizer shots to foreigners--we'll most likely accept the offer.

I also believe the reason US Embassy has alerted us to free vaccinations today for over 60 year-old Americans (AstraZeneca, the un-approved vaccine in America)--is to wash their hands of this Pfizer donation debacle.

Yes, to be able to claim that they are doing something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

You are correct.  However that is caused by our decision to live overseas.  That is not the fault of the U.S. government.  To somehow suggest that they should "make things convenient" for U.S. citizens to get the vaccine is this  I am entitled mentality that has gripped society.  

I don't like the fact that I can't get the Pfizer vaccine.  However I fully recognize that the difficulty is caused by my decision to live in Thailand.  If I had a heart condition and needed an operation, do I expect that the U.S. government will fly over a medical team to take care of me?  No, if I want to be covered by my USA Medicare I have to fly back to the USA.  Inconvenient, of course.  But there are numerous inconveniences caused by living overseas.   Life is filled with decisions and the consequences for those decisions.  If a person so dislikes the inconvenience of living in Thailand then they should reconsider and move back to the USA.  If they like living here and are willing to tolerate the things not provided back in the USA, then they should just make their own personal accommodations, and not expect the USA government to shield them from the negative aspects of living abroad. 

There is no empathy in the US Embassy response to its expats dilemma. Just callous. That goes for the White House spokesperson as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, placnx said:

There is no empathy in the US Embassy response to its expats dilemma. Just callous. That goes for the White House spokesperson as well.

Empathy perhaps.  However there are approximately 200 countries in the world.  I would expect that all of them have expatriates scattered all over the globe.  I can not imagine the logistic nightmare if each of them said to Thailand, oh we want to send vaccines only for our citizens living in your country. 

Many of the vaccines require deep cold refrigeration. So now you have lets say only 5 countries sending them and arriving in BKK on the same day.  Where do you send them.  If you could figure out exactly where the expatriates are really residing do you then send them to a hospital located in that region?  Now you are the hospital with a single freezer to house the vaccines.  Do you have to mark which ones are for the Belgium's, French, Russians, Canadians and Australians and select only the ones dedicated to that countries citizens when a person comes in for a jab? 

The fact is that living abroad means a level of service that is diminished from living in ones home country.  Eventually there will be a supply of vaccines,   In the interim expatriates for the most part either have to live with that delay or put on their big boy pants and get on a plane and go back to their home country.   It is up to each individual to do what they feel appropriate for themselves and their family.  This idea that the government should somehow go to extraordinary lengths to accommodated those who choose to live overseas is just nonsense. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, placnx said:

Treating a pandemic like a run-of-the-mill medical issue is unreasonable and unfair. Biden's token donation of 500mn doses just shows that it's all for domestic show

LOL  well how many doses did Finland provide, how about Iceland, or Mexico.  If I had a person who was starving and I took him to a restaurant and gave the person a meal I would not expect that they would complain that it wasn't steak and lobster.  Whether it was 10 doses, or 10 million doses, the USA has to borrow money to "give those vaccines away"   That is just plain rude and ungrateful. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, placnx said:

Empathy perhaps.  However there are approximately 200 countries in the world.  I would expect that all of them have expatriates scattered all over the globe.  I can not imagine the logistic nightmare if each of them said to Thailand, oh we want to send vaccines only for our citizens living in your country. 

Many of the vaccines require deep cold refrigeration. So now you have lets say only 5 countries sending them and arriving in BKK on the same day.  Where do you send them.  If you could figure out exactly where the expatriates are really residing do you then send them to a hospital located in that region?  Now you are the hospital with a single freezer to house the vaccines.  Do you have to mark which ones are for the Belgium's, French, Russians, Canadians and Australians and select only the ones dedicated to that countries citizens when a person comes in for a jab? 

The fact is that living abroad means a level of service that is diminished from living in ones home country.  Eventually there will be a supply of vaccines,   In the interim expatriates for the most part either have to live with that delay or put on their big boy pants and get on a plane and go back to their home country.   It is up to each individual to do what they feel appropriate for themselves and their family.  This idea that the government should somehow go to extraordinary lengths to accommodated those who choose to live overseas is just nonsense. 

For those of you who say oh the French did it or so did China.  One or two countries is a huge mess.  195 countries trying to do it simultaneously is an impossibility.   Even assuming that the logistic nightmare and the huge potential for the vaccines to be diverted was avoided, somehow this mentality that the home countries should jump through hoops and go to extraordinary lengths to accommodate those who choose to live abroad is mindboggling.  Its like the person who chooses to climb the Matterhorn, gets stuck and then expects that the government will send someone in to rescue them because of the decision that they made.   You made your bed, now you should learn to sleep in it.  If you don't like the fact that the USA or any country is not sending the vaccines to your doorstep, get on a plane and fly back.  You should take responsibility for your own health and if the lack of vaccine is so troubling, do something about it other than complain. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

How many times have you seen or been in this type of situation ?? This is not everyday needs. ???? This is not about you and not about me only, it's about all Americans. This is an Emergency. 

Have you tried Travelocity or Skyscanner.   The vaccines are available and free.  The fact that it is inconvenient is caused by those people including me, who chose to live outside the boundaries of the USA. 

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

10 percent of the total donation is supposed to be set aside for unspecified foreign nationals. Not clear where that 10 percent setaside policy originated from.

According to DP "Watchman" it is 20%. Another lie?

1pm.jpg

The chief of Thailand's National Security Council and head of the CCSA told  the Thai media yesterday that foreigners living in Thailand must receive 20% of a 1.5 million batch of Pfizer vaccine that has been donated by the United States.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

I wonder how the French arranged the distribution of the J&J vaccine. It seems well done, to eight cities. Maybe they helped the Thai government figure out the solution.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dont confuse me said:

The 50 Yr old probably died as a result of the virus, there's nothing reported to suggest the 60 Yr old had the virus, reported elsewhere on TV the 40 Yr old was actually homeless no cause of death reported only that it wasn't covid related.

I would suggest that in the state the country's in it's not surprising that homeless people will dying in larger than normal numbers.

But one 50 Yr a 60 Yr that could have died from a heart attack and a 40 Yr homeless man who probably died of starvation and a number of other ailments doesn't make for good news however 3 men dying in the streets of bkk in one day makes for sensationalism and helps selling newspapers and helps TV ratings .

12 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Did you write your embassy...? I am a dual national and wrote both the Canadian and American embassy... at least the Canadian embassy replied to tell me I was on my own... still waiting for a message from the US embassy... 2 weeks later

I think there on Skeleton crew.

They did post something generic though.  Mostly saying fly back home if you need a vaccine.

Hopefully within a few days there will be more clarity as things get more dire by the day here.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

For those of you who say oh the French did it or so did China.  One or two countries is a huge mess.  195 countries trying to do it simultaneously is an impossibility.   Even assuming that the logistic nightmare and the huge potential for the vaccines to be diverted was avoided, somehow this mentality that the home countries should jump through hoops and go to extraordinary lengths to accommodate those who choose to live abroad is mindboggling.  Its like the person who chooses to climb the Matterhorn, gets stuck and then expects that the government will send someone in to rescue them because of the decision that they made.   You made your bed, now you should learn to sleep in it.  If you don't like the fact that the USA or any country is not sending the vaccines to your doorstep, get on a plane and fly back.  You should take responsibility for your own health and if the lack of vaccine is so troubling, do something about it other than complain. 

This reminds me of the US administration argument that since there are 9 mn expats it is impossible to deal with. That's a straw man argument. Many of the US expats are either fairly close to the US or in a country where it's not a problem to be vaccinated in a reasonable time frame. I guess you don't know about mountain rescue, either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

they'll be given to the hisos not satisfied with their double AZ jab

Exactly right! And not just "hisos"; my wife confirmed one of her friends that has a husband who's high up in the Thai navy--who already got the AZ vaccine previously, has signed up himself and his family for the Pfizer. The general public will be left out on the streets--literally, to fend for themselves.

So Pfizer make a 1.5 mill donation and put a 30 mill value on it, working out at US$20/ea or approx Thb 657/ea. I wonder if this is a sly way to let people know what it's worth v what they're paying, especially after reports of tea money being sought by YKW (you know who)

Re Tallguy above: So I'm one of only 2,559 Americans vaccinated? It must have been a very lucky day the time I logged on intervac and it was fully working. Shot of AZ was on June 22.

Five days later I decided to leave and booked a flight. I'm sitting in California and expecting a shot of Pfizer before the end of the week; I could do it sooner but want to run it through my primary care doctor, and he's dealing with another issue I have. I hope things get better in LOS; what can I say?