Consequences of "breaking" a rental contract (and forfeit the deposit)

Hi guys, 

As the recent lock-downs have spun out of control I'm contemplating of taking the next flight home. If I leave tomorrow I have 2 more months left on my rent (equal the deposit already paid). 

We all could agree it's not great, but what would the consequence be if I leave the keys and message "keep the deposit"? 

It is the last 2 months of 12 month rental contract. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Based on years of reading posts on this subject - Nothing will happen.

Same answer if there was a year or more left on your agreement.

Edited by JimmyJ

Presuming absolutely no damage other than expected wear and tear then that seems completely reasonable if you leave additional money to cover next electric/water/internet/other bills and be gone.. then the whole deposit is use for the forfeit part of the term.  I would pay the expected bills direct to landlord though incase the cleaner or agent collect them and they never existed..

Edited by asiam110
  • Like 2

Nothing will happen. If your landlord threatens court action he is bluffing, just as when you could threaten to refer the case to the Office office of consumer Protection, tax authorities and possibly immigration if he has not registered your presence. He won't be paying tax on your rent so that will put the sh*TS up him. I know it works coz I got 2 months deposit back after leaving 6 months early. The hi-so landlord was not going to negotiate after my being his tenant for 5.5 years, so I decided to give him an offer he could not refuse. And he didn't.

Edited by Card

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Based on my experience when I gave one landlord 24 hours notice, on a 12 month lease with 3 months to go, he returned my full deposit and wished me on my way.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Must have had someone ready to move in at higher rent!

Maybe the landlord was just a caring compassionate soul whose long-term tenant had to relinquish his lease due to family reasons.

Such landlords are a rare bred nowadays!

Edited by LosLobo

You could very well come out better not telling him. 

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Based on my experience when I gave one landlord 24 hours notice, on a 12 month lease with 3 months to go, he returned my full deposit and wished me on my way.

Most landlords here will charge you almost an arm and leg for made up scratched on walls and whatever else. They just make stuff up, directed by the complex owners I’m sure. 

• Like 1

A lease is contract that gives both parties rights and responsibilities. Then there  are the rental laws

Does your lease say something about early termination of agreement? If you just walk away most likely nothing happens.  Worst case scenario the owner makes up a lawsuit and the next time you come to Thailand you have legal problems.  Decide if you are bailing,  then talk to your landlord and work it out in advance. No "consequences" that way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think land lord will be more angry at having to find a new tenant during a pandemic with no moving about and job insecurity than you leaving early and still paying them. 

Definitely a renters market.

Why not contact him and if not leave the place nicer than you left it.  Descent thing to do.

It's going to be hard to find flights out and the ones you do will be expensive.

Also expect an expensive quarantine wherever you arrive.  

I wish my tenants were this cool.   A couple post here on TV and constantly touting their strong moral foundation and bad mouthing Thais for there lack of honesty.  Usually what happens is they call and tell you they will be moving out next month and therefore they won't be paying next months rent because the deposit will cover it.  Two choices at that point.  Explain to them how deposits work which they already completely understand or let them know that will be just fine and ask them if they need help with the move.  I choose the latter and good riddance.

• Like 1

As someone who has rented from many Thai owners over the years my take is that they regard your deposit as extra income. They will go to any lengths to avoid returning it and have no concept of fair wear and tear. One place wanted me to pay to replace sliding door tracks that were rusty. I was there one year!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely a renters market.

Why not contact him and if not leave the place nicer than you left it.  Descent thing to do.

It's going to be hard to find flights out and the ones you do will be expensive.

Also expect an expensive quarantine wherever you arrive.  

Flights may not be expensive as you think. I booked a flight, round trip, via ANA/United for $2800 Biz Class to USA.  Economy was about $1000. But that was two months ago. Economy was basically empty of passengers from Japan to USA. All depends where you are flying to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

Flights may not be expensive as you think. I booked a flight, round trip, via ANA/United for $2800 Biz Class to USA.  Economy was about $1000. But that was two months ago. Economy was basically empty of passengers from Japan to USA. All depends where you are flying to.

Nice price for business class.

Im assuming flights are getting scarcer as this lockdown intensifies.  It seems COVID-19 is flaring up again everywhere and many flights are getting cancelled.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, chrisandsu said:

Out of curiosity do you think wherever you are going back to has less covid restrictions ? 

When I returned to USA, one week ago, there were no restrictions in New York area. Most people were maskless although there were signs saying that those not fully vaccinated should wear a mask in shops and stores. Many young people were maskless and not vaccinated since they didn't believe the reality of the situation. Fools! 

1 hour ago, kokopelli said:

When I returned to USA, one week ago, there were no restrictions in New York area. Most people were maskless although there were signs saying that those not fully vaccinated should wear a mask in shops and stores. Many young people were maskless and not vaccinated since they didn't believe the reality of the situation. Fools! 

I don’t think any of us understand the reality of the situation . The world has been stopped for something that has 99.9% survival rates .