Gasoline or gasahol? So confused

8 minutes ago, driver52 said:

you do realise that E85 means 85% ethanol? E20 is 20%, so it's highly unlikely that you can use E85

Even CNG cars failed to take off in Europe.......the world is moving towards electric cars, looks like 'deep state' wants to get rid of ICE completely

Some of you may have cottoned on that I think this ethanol stuff is a load o sh!te, it's just not gonna cotton on ????

I think you are on a wind up.

You probably don't know that the petrol you buy gets its power from additives, the basic oil has very low octane, that's why the huge engines of yesteryear had very low power. To me using ethanol or anything else is just another advancement in engine use and cleaning up the air. 

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

The regular 91 should be just fine, move up to 95 if you think it's knocking a bit under acceleration.

The price difference is so marginal (0.27 Baht) that I wonder why anyone still tries 91 octane.

There were plans/schedule to abolish it but postponed again.

91 octane gone in most if not all European countries for over a decade.

They seriously wrote that forcing/subsidizing more Ethanol fuel was slowed down due to shortage by the amount of alcohol based sanitizers ????

Smear on your hands instead of filling the tank.

Just to avoid misunderstanding: I refer 91 and 95 both to Gasohol (E10). 91 petrol/gasoline is gone since years.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, driver52 said:

sure but I do know ethanol is corrosive and I also know GM make the biggest set of sh!te vehicles ever......which is why in over 10 years they failed to make a profit in Europe ????

I really do think you are confused about a lot of things on the subject...????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, driver52 said:

eh? I couldn't give a cr@p about my post count.......I gave the reasons why ethanol is p00 yesterday

Strange how Europe the makers of the best car engines in the world isn't using 20% ethanol eh?

Good day to you grandad!!

Ad hominem. Not at its best, but recognisable. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Use E85 only if car is explicitly specified for (check manual or ask dealer).

It's not about damage but the motor control (ECU) has to be prepared for (longer injection time).

Thanks 

It entirely depends on whether or not your car has been designed to run on gasohol. If it is an older car it is most likely only designed to run on gasoline. It will run ok on gasohol but all the rubber fittings, pipes etc will be subject to erosion.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, transam said:

To me using ethanol or anything else is just another advancement in engine use and cleaning up the air. 

Firstly I'm not on a wind up, I'm a European so I'm lucky enough to appreciate that they make the best cars in the world! I've driven Yankee cars and so understand they make the biggest load of <deleted> ever....which is one reason the USA is a massive export market for European cars

If ethanol is not taking off in Europe it has no future

Sadly the way things are going it'll be the end of the ICE (internal combustion engine) soon too, cos yes Europe ain't perfect and the assoles in Brussels like to dictate too much and they think cleaning up the air means going totally electric!! ????

PS yes I realise Asia ain't Europe but manufacturers appear to be 'consolidating' at the moment, they can't afford to have too many different 'product lines'......as always TWT

Good day to all 'car fans' ????

Edited by driver52
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Who would dispute?

Must be a reason that Chevy has closed down here.

Chevrolet closed down in Thailand as the Parent company decided it was no longer cost effective to build and sell vehicle for the RHD markets.

25 minutes ago, driver52 said:

Firstly I'm not on a wind up, I'm a European so I'm lucky enough to appreciate that they make the best cars in the world! I've driven Yankee cars and so understand they make the biggest load of <deleted> ever....which is one reason the USA is a massive export market for European cars

If ethanol is not taking off in Europe it has no future

Sadly the way things are going it'll be the end of the ICE (internal combustion engine) soon too, cos yes Europe ain't perfect and the assoles in Brussels like to dictate too much and they think cleaning up the air means going totally electric!! ????

PS yes I realise Asia ain't Europe but manufacturers appear to be 'consolidating' at the moment, they can't afford to have too many different 'product lines'......as always TWT

Good day to all 'car fans' ????

I am from the UK, I owned an American car for 23 years, I also had British, German and Scandinavian cars during my well over half a century driving life. 

I really think you are a little confused in your thoughts as to why manufacturers want to power their vehicles, after all, one of the leading German manufacturers, VW, told porkies about their diesel cars, which has cost them dear.

Now you tell me any ride that has had major problems using Ethanol blend from factory, because I would like to know, just for my ol' grey cells...  

17 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I have an 7 year old mitsu. The book said to use 91, which I did at first. Then I read that it was one of the cars that got better mileage on the E20 so I tried it. I felt that it run  and accelerate better. I have used it ever since (6 years). I had been told I should run some 95 (91 no longer available in my area )every so often, but have never done so. Still running great.

All depends who told you, l would tell you no problem. ????

11 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I read the entire thread and somehow came out unclear.

If I may ask, so let’s say I buy a new 2020 Toyota Yaris. Will it be e20 I take it? Or you have options? 

The handbook will tell you or some have info as already said at the fuel flap.

Well I had a 2008 Yaris 1•5 and ran it on E20 for 8 years because the engine was capable of doing so. 

The new Yaris has a 1•2 engine, so it may well be able to run on E85. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Now you tell me any ride that has had major problems using Ethanol blend from factory, because I would like to know, just for my ol' grey cells...  

who knows, who cares! lol you keep using ethanol I'll keep using SP98 ????

I'm from the UK too ????

Why do you think Suzuki have stopped making that 3 cylinder Boosterjet engine if it's so amazing?

There is an amazing amount of FUD and just wrong information in this this thread. 

All modern, non extreme performance (probably those as well), cars have all the rubber/neoprene seals that are designed for alcohol contact. The fuels have no bad effects. 

Using PTT 95 and PTT E-20 virtually exclusively in my one year old Mazda 2, there is zero difference in performance, E-20 is cheaper per litre 95 is cheaper per kilometre.

The ECM accounts for the lower performance of the E-20 and just uses more fuel 

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

who knows, who cares! lol you keep using ethanol I'll keep using SP98 ????

I'm from the UK too ????

Why do you think Suzuki have stopped making that 3 cylinder Boosterjet engine if it's so amazing?

My car does not have a Boosterjet engine..

All this alcohol is bad for fuel systems stems from the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth.

One of my cars - 2001 - gasahol and LPG since new.

HD - 2001 - gasahol since new.

No issues with either.

Who gives a monkeys what people do in europe - this is a Thailand forum.

Maybe go to europe Visa forum and post there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

95 is cheaper per kilometre

so what's the point in using ethanol!? Oh yeah, it's gonna save the planet! but highly unlikely with all the billions of humans wrecking it! I rest my case......

ll be off back to 'Euro land' and won't comment on what all the geniuses are doing in Thailand anymore lol

I'd love to see the internals of 2 similar engines after say 50k km, one run on E85 and t'other on decent grade unleaded????

PS

Screenshot_2021-08-04_12-36-02.png

Edited by driver52
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

so what's the point in using ethanol!? Oh yeah, it's gonna save the planet! but highly unlikely with all the billions of humans wrecking it! I rest my case......

ll be off back to 'Euro land' and won't comment on what all the geniuses are doing in Thailand anymore lol

The volume of fossil fuels available is limited. The burning of hydrocarbons is wasteful, they have many other uses that don’t just burn them up, alcohol is a resource that is far less limited. Thailand subsides oil, petrol, diesel, LPG, & NGV, while alcohol may have had support it’s now much less than imported and domestic fossil fuel. Is it better for the planet? Maybe. It’s better for the government budget.

You will find that the situation in euro land is remarkably similar. 

19 hours ago, driver52 said:

Screenshot_2021-08-04_12-36-02.png

this is fake, every single engineer with 50+ years experience know that alcohol is good for car parts.

the higher the alcohol percentage - the better for car :biggrin:

Edited by fdsa

22 hours ago, thairastawoman said:

E20 on all new mercedes benz. Theu cannot be as idiots as some forums members who know nothing ?!

Are you trolling? This thread is not about benz. Did you not read the OP? Don't speak if you have no useful contribution. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Are you trolling? This thread is not about benz. Did you not read the OP? Don't speak if you have no useful contribution. 

Eeeeer, I would have thought mentioning E20 being used in Mercs was on topic as a member stated earlier EU rides don't use it. In my opinion was a piece of useful information.   ????

• Like 1

Gasoline or Gasohol?

The answer is more related to what type of car/engine/owner.

Approved for ethanol?

Low hp or high hp car/vehicle?

I can feel a clear difference with PTT 95 (Benzene) compared to regular PTT 95 (Gasohol) on my motorbike and in my car. Car mileage is also 10-15% better with Benzene 95. The cost of Benzene 95 per km is app. the same as Gasohol 95, but offer more power in my case - or so I tell my wife.

Both vehicles can run on PTT 95 Gasohol, but never again for me - or at least until Benzene 95 is not available anymore.

Not saying Ethanol is bad. If the target is optimal performance; E85 or E85/Gasoline mixed will win.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a car (MG3) which is compatible with E85, E20, 91 and 95. I did some research and this is what I came up with. 

95 is 100% petroleum based. 91 is 10% ethanol, E20 20%, and E85 85% ethanol. 

I was told by several neighbors that E85 gives worse KM's per liter than 91 or 95, which negates any savings due to the dramatically lower price. I didn't believe it so carefully recorded Km readings and liter usage with several tanks of 91, E20 and E85, driving in a similar manner as much as possible. With my experience the range of a tank of E20 vs 91 was indescernible. A tank of E85 netted a few less Km's, but the extra range from 91 was absolutely not enough to negate the savings vs use of E85. E85 was by far the most economical choice. I my car runs fine on all of the fuels. I definitely can not notice any difference in performance with a tank full of E85 vs 95.

One problem with E85 is limited availability. In my area it's only available at the larger PTT outlets. I've never seen it available at a Shell, Esso or Caltex station. But if you're not able to find it the obvious answer is to use another fuel type.

Another problem and the main reason some cars are not rated for E20 or E85 is that ethanol is more corrosive than petroleum. So if ethanol corrosion rated materials are not present in the fuel system E20 & E85 definitely should not be used. Myself, if I leave the car sitting for long periods of time (when I leave Thailand for multiple months) I make sure it's full of 95, and ask the neighbor who takes it on occasional runs to keep it full of 95.

As far as environmental friendliness, from what I understand ethanol burns more cleanly than petroleum. But burning ethanol also produces more greenhouse gasses, so it's probably a wash.

The ethanol used in Thai motor fuels is predominantly distilled domestically from cassava or sugarcane, so to me I feel better about supporting the Thai farming community vs the petroleum industry. 

The reason that the ethanol fuels are cheaper in Thailand is because the ethanol industry is Thai government subsidized via import taxes on petroleum. So E85 and E20 fuel's cost advance could disappear overnight with the stroke of a pen. But for now, it's the best option IMO for cars that are driven daily.

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

I have a car (MG3) which is compatible with E85, E20, 91 and 95. I did some research and this is what I came up with. 

95 is 100% petroleum based. 91 is 10% ethanol, E20 20%, and E85 85% ethanol. 

I was told by several neighbors that E85 gives worse KM's per liter than 91 or 95, which negates any savings due to the dramatically lower price. I didn't believe it so carefully recorded Km readings and liter usage with several tanks of 91, E20 and E85, driving in a similar manner as much as possible. With my experience the range of a tank of E20 vs 91 was indescernible. A tank of E85 netted a few less Km's, but the extra range from 91 was absolutely not enough to negate the savings vs use of E85. E85 was by far the most economical choice. I my car runs fine on all of the fuels. I definitely can not notice any difference in performance with a tank full of E85 vs 95.

One problem with E85 is limited availability. In my area it's only available at the larger PTT outlets. I've never seen it available at a Shell, Esso or Caltex station. But if you're not able to find it the obvious answer is to use another fuel type.

Another problem and the main reason some cars are not rated for E20 or E85 is that ethanol is more corrosive than petroleum. So if ethanol corrosion rated materials are not present in the fuel system E20 & E85 definitely should not be used. Myself, if I leave the car sitting for long periods of time (when I leave Thailand for multiple months) I make sure it's full of 95, and ask the neighbor who takes it on occasional runs to keep it full of 95.

As far as environmental friendliness, from what I understand ethanol burns more cleanly than petroleum. But burning ethanol also produces more greenhouse gasses, so it's probably a wash.

The ethanol used in Thai motor fuels is predominantly distilled domestically from cassava or sugarcane, so to me I feel better about supporting the Thai farming community vs the petroleum industry. 

The reason that the ethanol fuels are cheaper in Thailand is because the ethanol industry is Thai government subsidized via import taxes on petroleum. So E85 and E20 fuel's cost advance could disappear overnight with the stroke of a pen. But for now, it's the best option IMO for cars that are driven daily.

thnx for the post.

Im using 95. The worst i will use E20

Another consideration for those who mainly use 95 or fuel without ethanol, 

I grew up in New England in the US where we have variable weather, hot as Thailand in summer and well below freezing in winter. 

When I was younger, ethanol fuel additives were very popular and a must in freezing weather. This is because as temperatures change, condensation can form inside near empty fuel tanks, and when the tank is filled this contaminates the fuel with a small amount of water. In the winter the water can freeze, stopping fuel flow and leaving vehicles stranded. So it was a early winter ritual to add some "gas line anti freeze", which was a bottle of ethanol, to your fuel. The ethanol absorbs the water in the fuel and it is burned off with the ethanol in the combustion chamber. 

A decade or two ago the US government mandated that all gasoline sold in the US must contain 10% ethanol (or methanol). This mandate ended the need for gasoline anti freeze, as ethanol is present in all fuel. 

While freezing gas lines are not a worry in Thailand, there are evenings when it's cool enough to cause substantial condensation. This could lead to water in fuel tanks, and 100% petroleum fuels like 95 won't absorb it. If enough water accumulates in your tank it can cause engine misfiring or stalling. 

So I would recommend that persons who predominantly use 95, use an occasional tank of one of the grades containing ethanol to flush water out of the fuel tank. Either that or add an occasional bottle of overpriced "fuel conditioner", which is mainly ethanol, to your tank to achieve the same result at a higher price.