Slow vaccine roll-out forcing Swedes in Thailand to go home

snoop1130

vaccine_vaccination_by_Vincent_Vega_on_Flickr-735x409.jpg

Photo: Christian Emmer | Credit: emmer.com.ar

Many Swedish residents in Thailand are in the vulnerable group and still they face great difficulties getting the Corona vaccine. Sven Arne Hedell, 71, is trying to get the Swedish authorities to send vaccines to Swedish people abroad.

“We are paying full tax in Sweden, but we still don’t have any rights,” Sven says.

Full Story: https://scandasia.com/slow-vaccine-roll-out-forcing-swedes-in-thailand-to-go-home/

sca.jpg

-- © Copyright ScandAsia 2021-08-06

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Wonderful for you - so tell me how to get a vax in Sisakate oh masterful all knowledgeable one. I have signed up for everything including buying Moderna....

Dumb and dumber....

Are you above or below 60? More importantly: do you really want to know or just emphasize your lack of knowledge on the topic?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Ok, so please explain to him how to get his jabs in Sisakate

It´s a little bit hard to do. There is no city called Sisakate in Thailand. We do have a Sisaket, though, and if a person lives there one should know the name of ones home city.

Besides that, it is not as easy as @AgentSmithis posting. A person that lives in Bangkok will have no problem to get jabs. However, some cities out in the country not even got their vaccine stations set up yet.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

"We are paying full tax in Sweden, but we still don’t have any rights,"

Of course you do. You have the same rights as any other Swedish person paying full tax in Sweden: to get your vaccination in Sweden. What you're asking for is special treatment due to your personal choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Interesting.. to be tax resident in Sweden, he is either:

A. Staying less that 180 days per year in Thailand

or

B. Lying to the Swedish tax authorities, telling them that he is staying more than 180 days a year in Sweden

In case of B let him go back and get his jabs in Sweden.

I don´t know where you got your information,but I can tell you,that you are totally wrong!  I gave the swedish authorities my adress in Thailand,where I stay all the time,decades ago,and I have to declare my little pension every year,AND pay full tax on it. My opinion on that,if I have one,I keep to myself. Another thing; Is it possible to travell to (and back from) Sweden,just like that ??? Just curious....

On 8/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, SpaceKadet said:

or

B. Lying to the Swedish tax authorities, telling them that he is staying more than 180 days a year in Sweden

Yes, but, even if he spends the full year in Thailand, he still has to pay full Swedish tax on his income arising in Sweden.  So, if he has a Swedish pension, rent from property, dividends or interest from brokerage or bank accounts in Sweden, he pays full Swedish tax on them. Same in the UK and other European countries.  The only income exempt from Swedish tax would be any income he may have from investments outside Sweden and he may not have any at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bosse137 said:

I don´t know where you got your information,but I can tell you,that you are totally wrong!  I gave the swedish authorities my adress in Thailand,where I stay all the time,decades ago,and I have to declare my little pension every year,AND pay full tax on it. My opinion on that,if I have one,I keep to myself. Another thing; Is it possible to travell to (and back from) Sweden,just like that ??? Just curious....

All I can say is that you should read on the tax authorities website what it actually says about tax residency. 

Also, Sweden and Thailand has a tax agreement, so if you're tax resident in Thailand (i.e. spend more that 180 days a year) you can tell Swedish tax authorities that you want to be taxed in Thailand, and Thailand doesn't seem to bother to tax foreign pensions. If you prefer to pay full tax in Sweden for nothing in return, instead of maybe max 10% in Thailand, it's your prerogative. There is plenty of information on taxes on Pension authorities and tax authorities website. I assume you can still read Swedish.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Yes, but, even if he spends the full year in Thailand, he still has to pay full Swedish tax on his income arising in Sweden.  So, if he has a Swedish pension, rent from property, dividends or interest from brokerage or bank accounts in Sweden, he pays full Swedish tax on them. Same in the UK and other European countries.  The only income exempt from Swedish tax would be any income he may have from investments outside Sweden and he may not have any at all.

I think you should educate yourself.

References here: https://www.pensionsmyndigheten.se/

And here: https://www.skatteverket.se/

Also see my reply to Bosse137 above.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, SpaceKadet said:

or

Dont know about Sweden.

But i am from Denmark and Denmark know i live in Thailand, +10 years now. Everything by the book for me.
And i pay 37% Tax of my Danish pension, That dont change simple by moving from Denmark.
If i wanted to return to Denmark (holiday), I need to pay for any medical treatment as i not living in Denmark / EU any more.
Even so i still pay Tax in Denmark.

Kindly.

Edited by JJ Madcow

3 hours ago, JJ Madcow said:

Dont know about Sweden.

But i am from Denmark and Denmark know i live in Thailand, +10 years now. Everything by the book for me.
And i pay 37% Tax of my Danish pension, That dont change simple by moving from Denmark.
If i wanted to return to Denmark (holiday), I need to pay for any medical treatment as i not living in Denmark / EU any more.
Even so i still pay Tax in Denmark.

Kindly.

I think Denmark has a tax agreement with Thailand too. That means you could pay as little as 10% or probably 0 if you apply that. This is not something that happens automatically, and you'd have to fight with your tax authorities.

In Sweden you would pay 25% in tax on pension if living abroad, or try and fight to get the Thai taxation applied. This would mean sending all the pension to Thailand, and , of course tax authorities don't like it so one would have to fight them....

You would think that Swedish pensioners would know that, but if they prefer to pay full tax in Sweden for nothing, I would say, let them!

I have been an expat since 1983 and haven't paid any taxes since then.... now they make me pay <50SEK on my meager pension. But, 600SEK a year is not worth the battle with tax authorities.

The worst part is, like you say, that you lose the medical benefits, despite paying the full tax. That's what the tax money is supposed to go to. Great governments we have in Scandinavia. Stealing from those who have the least....

At this time I'm seriously considering getting an address in Sweden, lie to the Tax authorities, just to get the medical benefits, and being able to renew my Swedish driving license. Don't really care if they tax my pension to 30%.

• Like 2

I don't understand the problem. My first application made June 30th and I just received this email confirmation. Key is not waiting to long to apply. I also suspect that being a USA citizen may have helped, we donated Pfizer into the country. Not sure of that though, gut feeling it may have been a condition of the donation. I had several return emails from two US Senators implying as much.

'' 

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXX,

Greetings from MedPark Hospital!

Regarding your inquiry, you can come to have the vaccine injection on 13th August 2021 during 13.30 – 14.00 hrs.

You are unable to make any changes of your appointment. If you do not show-up on your appointment, it will be automatically cancelled.

Please present the email along with your original passport upon arrival.

However, if you don’t have the original passport available, please bring the copy one and the documents you’ve mentioned along.

Due to the latest policy announcement by the ministry of foreign affairs to only provide Pfizer for those 60 years old and above, those with underlying disease(s), and those who are over 12 weeks pregnant.

As per your age, you will be one of the above criteria to get Pfizer, please inform the staff when you come and get the vaccine.

If you drive your own car, you can park your car at The ParQ (next to the hospital) for 3 hours with free of charge. You can then walk to the hospital by using the connection and you will see the Gate No. 4. Please contact Gate No. 4 for vaccination.

Here is the map of our hospital for your reference: https://goo.gl/maps/ut1EeDraKdSNVD4W6

Note: If you need the proof of vaccine, please inform the staff upon arrival and please ask for the appointment date/time of the 2nd dose before leaving the hospital.

Best regards,

Patient Access Officer