Pattaya Darkest Hour

Banana7

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Agreed......This place will be looking like Detroit or Beirut in another year,,,,

Concerns me that with so many people rapidly losing their jobs and incomes without much of any support from their supposed Govt, this place might turn into a dangerous place to live.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Dunno why members pretend it isn't for themselves as well, if only in spirit. Now a lot rooms did empty out from the suicides when The Tunnel didn't flood.

I seem to recall from another of our recurring Soi Buakhao threads that @craig3365 said he'd known of a guy who'd lived in the area for many years so contentedly that he seldom ventured outside it.

"A man who's tired of Soi Buakhao is tired of life."

Speaking of suicides.......

Has anyone noticed that no one in the news has fallen, sliped, been pushed or joined the Pattaya flying club in many many months now......

Rona seems to have put the kibosh on the flying club...

Where as before it was about one every week or two or three, and it was that way as long as I remember....

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could you state where the jobs are available and how much the salary is and what is the job doing , I know some locals who are looking for work 

Job was  taking care of my land and garden, salary was 18-20k  for TWO  people, includes  house, some  food, motorbike. Work was watering and keeping the land tidy.

Just got rid  of the last two after 1  month as they were not  only stupid but lazy which I found  even more  staggering at a time when many are crying out for work "allegedly"

Currently  have one man who has worked for us before and we know who is reliable and honest but he  will get bored with it in a few  months and want to go back to work in Bangkok in a restaurant, however he  was  only  getting 3  days work a week in BKK and thats  not  enough for him so he's  back temporarirly ..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chris.B said:

It would be a good setting for a Zombie movie though. In fact I was expecting some to come out when I was watching the video. ????????

A group of zombies walking forward among destroyed buildings

These appear to be starving Brits coming for @worgeordie's stockpile of baked beans. Best not to relate the contents of those bunker shelves. 

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive two spare bedrooms in my house, have offered to many girls... none want.

Obviously, 1) you are not a hansum man or 2) your wallet is too slim, try packing it out with 1000 baht notes. ????????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Obviously, 1) you are not a hansum man or 2) your wallet is too slim, try packing it out with 1000 baht notes. ????????

offered both 5k a month to live in and take care me and house, they were twin sisters.

looks like i was tooo low on the hansum scale, my wife is happy they declined.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thats because many of them have SOLD their inherited  land and spent/squandered  it.

You mean gambled using it as collateral and lost it all to the loan sharks. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

No. For me Thailand isn't the best country. I know Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Philippines and others. Alone on the Philippines I lived for several years. Thailand has one big advantage - it has a very good infrastructure for western tourist and western expats. But there are also tax laws that make it interesting... 

The only infrastructure that is better, in the tourist areas, would be medical, and other countries in South East Asia are only a short flight to Bangkok, and the hospitals there.  

Not to worry another promenade project in the endless series is coming. You won't notice the degraded surroundings so much with the heavy construction going on again. And don't forget all the workers on 3 hour lunch lying around .

IMG_20210806_100713.jpg

Edited by Farrows3399
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Farrows3399 said:

Not to worry another promenade project in the endless series is coming.

More bloody palm trees...why oh why do they hate the huge shade trees that grow on the shoreline naturally ?

I have an idea   the palm trees provide next to no shade  so the deck chair and umbrella vendors have a "captive" market ( when/if the tourists ever return)

the vendors of course have to pay for the concession to  use the beach.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Speaking of suicides.......

Has anyone noticed that no one in the news has fallen, sliped, been pushed or joined the Pattaya flying club in many many months now......

Rona seems to have put the kibosh on the flying club...

Where as before it was about one every week or two or three, and it was that way as long as I remember....

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/20-year-old-british-man-dies-after-falling-off-pattaya-balcony

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/partner-questioned-after-austrian-man-falls-from-pattaya-condo-339998

37 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The only infrastructure that is better, in the tourist areas, would be medical, and other countries in South East Asia are only a short flight to Bangkok, and the hospitals there.  

This is not like this. For instance the Philippines have endless beautiful islands and beaches. And in my opinion great doctors. In my experience much better than here in Thailand. But you also have Jollibee. I could tell you a lot about this. Or about Langkawi. Or the great experience in Hanoi. Or... Thailand doesn't love me but it allows me to stay here if I follow certain restrictions. And it provides a Farang ghetto for me. And this because it is organised to handle foreigners much better than other countries. It is used to tourists. 

12 minutes ago, D M G said:

Ok maybe there have been a few but in past years the frequency of fallers/jumpers was unbelievable, especially for a city the size of Pattaya... 

25 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This is not like this. For instance the Philippines have endless beautiful islands and beaches. And in my opinion great doctors. In my experience much better than here in Thailand. But you also have Jollibee. I could tell you a lot about this. Or about Langkawi. Or the great experience in Hanoi. Or... Thailand doesn't love me but it allows me to stay here if I follow certain restrictions. And it provides a Farang ghetto for me. And this because it is organised to handle foreigners much better than other countries. It is used to tourists. 

Can you tell me what infrastructure you were referring to then?  Visas?

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Can you tell me what infrastructure you were referring to then?  Visas?

Let's take the Philippines as an example. The hotels seem to be mostly what was left by the US army. A lot of fast food there. Visa - no problem to extend. Most people speak English but Tagalog was easy to understand - if you live there long enough. The main difference to Thailand is that you are not a Farang but one of them - at least somehow. They can talk to you because of their English - what will not allways make it easy for you. You are more integrated there if you want it or not. In Thailand I live as a Farang - not so much integrated but more in my Farang ghetto. I can decide what I want. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Let's take the Philippines as an example. The hotels seem to be mostly what was left by the US army. A lot of fast food there. Visa - no problem to extend. Most people speak English but Tagalog was easy to understand - if you live there long enough. The main difference to Thailand is that you are not a Farang but one of them - at least somehow. They can talk to you because of their English - what will not allways make it easy for you. You are more integrated there if you want it or not. In Thailand I live as a Farang - not so much integrated but more in my Farang ghetto. I can decide what I want. 

I agree, but your previous post did say the "infrastructure" structure is better in Thailand that other SEA countries.  I accept medical is better, but asked you what other infrastructure is better in Thailand. Eg.  roads, education, utilities, public transport etc.  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I agree, but your previous post did say the "infrastructure" structure is better in Thailand that other SEA countries.  I accept medical is better, but asked you what other infrastructure is better in Thailand. Eg.  roads, education, utilities, public transport etc.  

Thailand has a great infrastructure for tourists. It is not the same for instance on the Philippines. You will be one of them. But it is for instance an experience to sit in a bus with many chickens and the noise of them. Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Indonesia - they are all very different. Just think about alcohol in Malaysia - but you can buy it. The advantage of Thailand is that it is easy to live here - in your own Ghetto. If you are a person that doesn't like this - yes you can buy endless lady drinks to have a better more integrated feeling. But I am not one of these people. 

18 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Thailand has a great infrastructure for tourists. It is not the same for instance on the Philippines. You will be one of them. But it is for instance an experience to sit in a bus with many chickens and the noise of them. Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia, Indonesia - they are all very different. Just think about alcohol in Malaysia - but you can buy it. The advantage of Thailand is that it is easy to live here - in your own Ghetto. If you are a person that doesn't like this - yes you can buy endless lady drinks to have a better more integrated feeling. But I am not one of these people. 

Ok.  As expats, we enjoy the Infrastructure for tourists, should we chose to live in a tourist area.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Ok.  As expats, we enjoy the Infrastructure for tourists, should we chose to live in a tourist area.  

Yes. I live in a tourist area. Could not imagine to live without this surrounded by rice fields. But for sure there are foreigners who love exactly this. Too extreme for me. 

On 8/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

I find the title of this thread in poor taste.

While times are tougher than normal, Pattaya residents have never faced hardships such as those faced by the citizens of some of the belligerent nations during WWII.

The Thai government has again, totally failed in its duty to its own citizens, especially residents of Pattaya, but this is what happens when you have a low-brow mafia in control.

This verse from the Bible came to mind:-

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

- Galatians 6:7

The title could have been something like "Pattaya hit hard by covid-19" or something to that effect.

The whole country and world is in a "darkest hour" 

Your Bible verse has no relevance here. It's not about what people have sown and then reaped. Did China spread the virus around the world to punish us for our sins? What did we sow to reap the damages caused by the worldwide pandemic? If you feel the need to preach from the Bible, how about some slightly more relevant verses from the Book of Revelation, prophesying about plagues and pestilence ravaging the world in the end days.

• Like 1