Thai police detain man over death of Swiss tourist

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

I suppose they have they ways right or wrong.Just like the english backpackers and the 2 burma boys now inside.It  does seem they found their man fast

Just because there was one corrupt case and one miscarriage of justice , that doesnt mean every single one is .

Just because the B2 got framed, that doesnt mean this suspect is getting framed 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't commit this crime.

What we do know is there is a lot of pressure from government to solve this quickly with their failed sandbox scheme and bad publicity is seen as destroying the image of a main source of tourist income and bringing into question safety on Thai islands. My Thai family have never been keen on visiting Thai islands. I know they are gossip mongers without facts, but many times they have said they islands are just mafia controlled, and have no wish to go.

That is concerning.

Furthermore, the speed at which they are announcing this with just some footage showing he was on his motorbike in the area and no DNA back yet from Bangkok. They would carry more respect and less skepticism, if they say they are awaiting DNA and tests results, not blurting out ' Case closed '

I don't like Thai police confessions and I know for a fact that many of the horror stories are true. Plastic bags over heads to suffocate, attacking parts of the body other than the face, etc

Also I am dubious about the Police General who announces ' There is not a scapegoat in this case ' as if he knew he was going to be accused of it.

Do we all recall this being said about the Burmese two those years ago and it was anything but a clearcut case??, but once a Police General had announced it after a cursory walk around the beach days later at the crime scene, without any concrete evidence whatsoever, Prayut and all the others, closed their ears to any other options.

They then set about MAKING the evidence fit the crime.

Was it a Police General or was it Big Joke? He wasn't and isn't a General. He is just Prawit's mole man on the police force.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

Just now, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

"they allways get the same man"...i think they have the same man for this cases,

he pose for the camera as the captured criminal and than they

release him until the next case. 2-3 yrs later.

Any evidence of this or just an over active imagination on your part ?

• Like 1

"It's over It's finish" I'm intrigued in how they caught this guy so quickly, (if he is responsible I'll give credit) was it through forensics?  An informant? Or did he feel remorse and could live with himself and decided to confess?

It seems to me that more often than not most convictions rely on confessions. I hope they have the right person and that for his sake some evidence of his guilt is made available. 

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This is the best summary of the case in English I've seen so far...

Royal Thai Police Commissioner, Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk told reporters at a news media conference that the suspect in the murder of a Swiss female tourist in Phuket is a Thai man who has been charged with robbery and murder.

Following the murder of the 57-year-old Swiss tourist at Tone Ao Yon waterfall in Vichit sub-district of Muang district and her body was found on August 5, the victim was later confirmed to have arrived in Phuket during Phuket Sandbox scheme on July 13. The police arrested the suspect on August 7 and secured his confession.

Police Major General Nanthadet Yoinuan , Deputy Chief of Provincial Police Region 8 revealed that the murder suspect is a 27-year-old Thai man who does not have a proper job. According to his confession, he attempted to rob her but she resisted. During a struggle, he killed her and fled the scene. The murderer also confessed that part of the 300 baht he stole from her was spent on cigarettes and marijuana.

Initially, the suspect in the case has been charged with murder and robbery. The police are now collecting evidence,  and an autopsy report is being compiled before any further legal proceedings to have the murderer appear in court as soon as possible.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand

So what happened to the "belief", there was a rape involved - what was the evidence for this belief when discovering the body?

• Thanks 1

It is finished !! What?? The sandbox sceme ?? Think that peace of shait wanted his part of the 810mij baht those 14000 tourists where spending . Good thing to hear they caught someone , now let's hope he's the one who did it and let him rot in .... 

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

So what happened to the "belief", there was a rape involved - what was the evidence for this belief when discovering the body?

It seems to be just an assumption , now he has stated that she died before he managed to rape her and so he then didnt rape her 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He meant that the man hunt  is finished  because they have caught the suspect . 

Catching a "suspect" is not the same as having definitive proof they have the right man? In that sense, it is NOT "finished"

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Innocent until proven guilty?

Exactly.  The online lynch mob already have their rope and noose in hand,  yelling "hang the <deleted>", "show his face", without the suspect/accused being afforded the right for legal due process, with the scrutiny of evidence, whether that is inculpatory or exculpatory. 

And of course the cynical crowd already suspecting someone has been 'stitched up' to take the fall for an unsolved murder.  

Without a 'crystal ball' and not being privy to case details, other than the often redacted version provided to reporters, none of us can really be qualified to claim the truth.  

Edited by aussienam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So why exactly did you post her picture here?

Because it is the real face of a poor victim, and this time a defenseless western woman who has been brutally raped, abused and murdered and also ... because I am free to answer what I see fit.

6 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Catching a "suspect" is not the same as having definitive proof they have the right man? In that sense, it is NOT "finished"

Catching a suspect is indeed the end of the man hunt . 

They believe they have the murderer , due to evidence and a confession , so the "whodunnit" question has been answered and finished 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He meant that the man hunt  is finished  because they have caught the suspect . 

I actually read it differently.  I imagine the police are under a hell of a lot of pressure to clear this case because the bean counters are fearful of its effects on the Phuket sandbox.  If I was in that position my thoughts would be that prospective tourists need not have any fears coming to Phuket because the culprit has been caught.

"its finished" I think, was said in very bad taste because I believe it will be a damn long time for it to be finished for the family and friends of the poor victim.

A post with content copy and pasted from the National News Bureau of Thailand has been removed as per the following:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Some off topic posts, troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I actually read it differently.  I imagine the police are under a hell of a lot of pressure to clear this case because the bean counters are fearful of its effects on the Phuket sandbox.  If I was in that position my thoughts would be that prospective tourists need not have any fears coming to Phuket because the culprit has been caught.

"its finished" I think, was said in very bad taste because I believe it will be a damn long time for it to be finished for the family and friends of the poor victim.

I do think that he meant it from his perspective . 

And he was talking to the journalists .

"Its finished" we can all go home now , sort of thing