Thailand reports 19,983 new COVID-19 cases, 138 deaths

2021-08-07T012242Z_1_LYNXMPEH76007_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-MEDIA.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: Health care workers move a dead body to a container after a hospital morgue overwhelmed by COVID-19 deaths begun to store bodies in refrigerated containers, as the country struggles to deal with its biggest outbreak to date, in Pathum Thani, Thailand July 31, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

Thailand on Sunday reported 19,983 new COVID-19 cases, 138 more fatalities and 18,503 new recoveries, according to the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

Sunday's caseload was a slight fall from the record high for cases and fatalities reported on Saturday.

However, in general, COVID-19 infections have continued to climb in the country's worst outbreak since the pandemic started, largely attributed to the spread of the Delta variant.

Sunday's new cases brings the total number of cases in Thailand since the pandemic started to 756,505 and the total fatalities to 6,066.

The Thai government has been trying to secure more vaccines and accelerate vaccine roll-out to create herd immunity. It aims to vaccinate around 70 percent of the nearly 70 million population by the end of the year.

As of Friday, the country has administered more than 20 million doses of vaccines, with more than 6 percent of its whole population having been fully vaccinated, according to the CCSA.

Also on Friday, Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul claimed Thailand was well on its way to reaching its 70% vaccination target.

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

We are at this point after each weekend, usually Sunday and Monday, to see the reality come in later in the week. So we should hold back on such thoughts. 

Just pointing out the facts and reality, as I try to do daily in my posts while still providing my view as well on why those numbers as we know can not be the real numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just pointing out the facts and reality, as I try to do daily in my posts while still providing my view as well on why those numbers as we know can not be the real numbers.

Yes I understand... I am more of a head in the sand or 'don't prod it with a stick to wake it' type maybe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 1,476 new cases and 8 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (385), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (219), and Si Racha (388). 17,815 patients are now in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1424162325381095428

Looking at Chonburi's cases it appears they are rising again, as well as the deaths.  My condolences to those that have lost a family member or friend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

As of Friday, the country has administered more than 20 million doses of vaccines, with more than 6 percent of its whole population having been fully vaccinated, according to the CCSA.

Also on Friday, Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul claimed Thailand was well on its way to reaching its 70% vaccination target.

By 70% does this mean partly of fully vaccinated? 

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

By 70% does this mean partly of fully vaccinated? 

Pretty sure that early target was based on single vacs..... we can expect to see the duration between 1st and 2nd on the longer side, and the effort on 1st vacs.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand needs a better Covid-19 strategy if it wants tourists to return

With vaccine hesitancy high amid supply delays, the government must get its act together if Thailand is to reach herd immunity this year and not imperil the ‘Phuket Sandbox’ and other similar tourism reopening schemes

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3143826/thailand-needs-better-covid-19-strategy-if-it-wants-tourists-return

From the linked SCMP article above:

"Yet vaccine hesitancy is profound. More than 600 medical workers who had received two Sinovac doses have since been infected by Covid-19 and at least one died. A better strategy is needed if Thailand wants to realise herd immunity this year."

He does not mention that about 700,000 Thai medical workers received the 2x Sinovac dose from April to July 2021 and that the Delta variant arrived Thailand mid May 2021.

"The 618 cases were among the 677,348 medical staff who had received two doses of the Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine between April to July, government data show. Among those infected are a nurse who died and a health-care worker in critical condition."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/12/coronavirus-latest-updates/

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the linked SCMP article above:

"Yet vaccine hesitancy is profound. More than 600 medical workers who had received two Sinovac doses have since been infected by Covid-19 and at least one died. A better strategy is needed if Thailand wants to realise herd immunity this year."

He does not mention that about 700,000 Thai medical workers received the 2x Sinovac dose from April to July 2021 and that the Delta variant arrived Thailand mid May 2021.

"The 618 cases were among the 677,348 medical staff who had received two doses of the Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine between April to July, government data show. Among those infected are a nurse who died and a health-care worker in critical condition."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/12/coronavirus-latest-updates/

It also does not mention the 300 medical workers infected from just one hospital in Bangkok last week and as a consequence they had to stop all new admissions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It also does not mention the 300 medical workers infected from just one hospital in Bangkok last week and as a consequence they had to stop all new admissions. 

So assuming those 300 Samut Sakhon medical workers were part of the 2x Sinovac group (which the BP doesn't say), that is now roughly 1000 out of 700,000.

Edited by jerrymahoney

44 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Let me say this before certain others on this forum do.

Hopefully this drop represents the peak. 

If you want to track whether the trend is up or down, you really will have to use something like the 7 day average tracking numbers.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So assuming those 300 were part of the 2x Sinovac group, that is now roughly 1000 out of 700,000.

I’m not assuming anything, just stating what that article missed out, exactly the same as you did......

nice edit on your post after I had replied ????

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

I’m not assuming anything, just stating what that article missed out, exactly the same as you did......

The 300 infected as in the BP article today was not available to the SCMP editorial writer when published but the 700,000 figure certainly was.

13 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The 300 infected as in the BP article today was not available to the SCMP editorial writer when published but the 700,000 figure certainly was.

No they new as it was reported on the 18th July. https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bangkok-hospital-suspends-multiple-services-after-300-medics-test-positive-for-covid

The 300 medics reported from Samut Sakhon are an additional separate group infected last week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No they new as it was reported on the 18th July. https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bangkok-hospital-suspends-multiple-services-after-300-medics-test-positive-for-covid

The 300 medics reported from Samut Sakhon are an additional separate group infected last week.

Whether the SCMP left it out or not, the reference was to Medics who received 2x sinovac and neither Thaiger nor BP mention that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Whether the SCMP left it out or not, the reference was to Medics who received 2x sinovac and neither Thaiger nor BP mention that.

Oh of course yet 96% of all medics have been vaxxed so one can make logical assumptions that in a red zone at least 96% would have been.

• Like 1