Build for around 2 million

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Easier to lay Qcon cheapest  blocks  on their side instead of  upright, cavity  not required gives u a very thick  insulated wall  then.

Have you done it?

If you have can i see some pics.....just interested as never thought of that. ????

16 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

No but its  easy, I used  double  concrete  block as q  con was  way  more  expensive years  ago and double  block with cavity has  good r  value and was  very cheap

IMAG1314.jpg

Love the way the 2 skins of block are tied together with the metal straps, just lost the bond on the third course because they've bridged the cavity and sent the block right through to the front skin, other than that good job..

12 hours ago, driver52 said:

@Rampant Rabbitare those Qcon blocks just like aircrete blocks? Are they cheap now?

Cheaper than when they first came  out, you  can actually  order  much  thicker  blocks  but  on last  calculation buying the thinnest  ones and  laying them horizontally was  still cheaper + availability now of the standard  thin ones is   much  better and even held  in stock at many  places such as  global house so if you do run short theyre  easy to  nip  out and get.

Aircrete, q  con same same as  far as I  know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 2:59 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

No but its  easy, I used  double  concrete  block as q  con was  way  more  expensive years  ago and double  block with cavity has  good r  value and was  very cheap

IMAG1314.jpg

Are you making every wall double thick ? Would that still be needed for inside walls

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Depends where you live.

Plan on doubling that when its all said and done.

Make sure you get a real roofer!  Check SCG.  

What’s SCG ? I have built a house here and know full well what happens when you take the eye off the ball ????

Edited by chrisandsu

1 minute ago, chrisandsu said:

What’s SCG ? I have built a house here and know full well what happens when you take the eye off the ball ????

Our roof job was a mess.

I wish I had SCG.  Siam Cement Company, they have outlets throughout Thailand with better quality than Global House, Thaiwatsadu, or Home Pro.

Anyways replacement was expensive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Our roof job was a mess.

I wish I had SCG.  Siam Cement Company, they have outlets throughout Thailand with better quality than Global House, Thaiwatsadu, or Home Pro.

Agree a properly installed tile roof should last a lifetime . Was there a problem with the materials or bad installation ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Our roof job was a mess.

I just wanted to add theres something very discouraging hearing drips hitting your fake ceiling.

I wish I had higher ceilings, cement.  

Next house I'm going to be more hands on.

5 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Agree a properly installed tile roof should last a lifetime . Was there a problem with the materials or bad installation ?

I think both.

Towards the end we fired him.  I found out other people were after him for ripping them off.

We've rectified most everything.  Its beautiful house and guest house with an infinity pool.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Just now, MrJ2U said:

I think both.

Towards the end we fired him.  I found out other people were after him for ripping them off.

We've rectified most everything.  Its beautiful house and guest house with an infinity pool.

Good luck!

I always wonder if I should have bought a nice house in a gated community in Hua Hin.

Later.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:46 AM, Orinoco said:

Fill it with Pla Nin and get the wife a fishing rod. !!!!!!!!!! LOL

Was thinking a fish pond would work well! Thinking of doing similar on the wife's 2 rai when we retire. She said she won't eat fish we raise though...atm, so guy is renting the land and has cows on it. 

I think 2-3m will get a nice house built by a reputable company. There are some listed in facebook. Local laborers will be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 7:11 AM, Orinoco said:

Skip the pool, as all the local mum's will bring there kids to your house/pool, don't do it !!!!!!! LOL

A pool sure is nice though in this heat and during the lockdown.

facebook_1627545085287_6826418861402896313.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Are you making every wall double thick ? Would that still be needed for inside walls

Cavity walls give better thermal insulation than solid walls. It is because of the space provided between two leaves of cavity walls is full of air and reduces heat transmission into the building from outside. Economically they are cheaper than solid walls.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, this does seem to be the "modern" Thai way, a simple box with A/C to reduce the heat.

As you say, keeping things cool, ventilation, shade, insulation is the way to go.

We only use A/C in the evening (set to 28C) the rest of the time is spent in the shaded area under the house with fans and lots of planting.

Absolutely, we also put up some shade cloths with up to 90% UV protection and they work brilliantly.

Like you said with the A/C's, we will turn them in the evening before watching TV or going to bed, only for 20-30 minutes set on 26-27 then off they go while the fan takes over on 1 for a good nights sleep.

The more trees the merrier for the shade as you say, but the shade cloths also do very well where we don't have the trees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Steel frame clad in Shera board with gypsum inner lining

that's a really interesting looking build, can I be nosey and ask how much to put up the metal frame?

I see some of the boards at ground level have absorbed some water but do they dry out quickly? never heard of shera board before

cheers

Edited by driver52

35 minutes ago, driver52 said:

that's a really interesting looking build, can I be nosey and ask how much to put up the metal frame?

I see some of the boards at ground level have absorbed some water but do they dry out quickly? never heard of shera board before

cheers

Sadly I don't have a price breakdown ????  

Madam says about 250k for the steelwork but I'm not sure exactly what that includes (probably the steel roof too).

The "damp" at the bottom of the walls is just where it's not been painted yet, Shera and similar materials are pretty impervious to water (we have some unpainted Shera planters which show no sign of damp on the outside).

Have a look here https://www.shera.com/ Conwood is a similar alternative https://conwood.co.th/th/home

The design is almost identical to the old wood house just using different materials although it's a bit bigger and has 3 proper bathrooms rather than the original dunny at the end of the garden.

EDIT The house is actually effectively "free". With the loss of her mum a couple of years back Madam is now family matriarch. With the cooperation of the family she sold the original plot (next to the main road) and bought a similarly sized, rather "less desirable" plot further from the road for half the money. The balance paid for the house.

My lady is one smart cookie (she married me) :whistling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1