Attempts to Restore Tourists’ Confidence in Phuket

webfact

screenshot_14634.jpg

PHUKET, Aug 9 (TNA) – The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand ordered efforts to restore tourists’ confidence in safe and attractive Phuket after the murder of a Swiss tourist in this southern island province last week.

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn said that yesterday he joined a press conference on the conclusion of the murder case and ordered TAT’s overseas offices to inform the international community that Phuket was safe for visitors and concerned authorities intensified security measures to ensure tourists’ safety there.

Meanwhile, Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk ordered a survey of all attractions in Phuket and the temporary closure of its tourist destinations with few visitors and without security workers.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-754812

tnalogo.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

"The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand ordered efforts to restore tourists’ confidence in safe and attractive Phuket"

I get how he orders just goes blah blah blah

But how do the recipients of this blah blah actually do this?

Maybe keep blah blah down the line until the cat in the litter box goes meow?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk ordered a survey of all attractions in Phuket and the temporary closure of its tourist destinations with few visitors and without security workers.

Now even more tourist destinations closed.

Nothing to do now in Phuket but staying at hotel or going to beach and restaurants.

Still much better than ASQ hotel in Bangkok, for residents returning to Thailand, but not a touristic destination now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk ordered a survey of all attractions in Phuket and the temporary closure of its tourist destinations with few visitors and without security workers.

That's like putting a horse down because it threw a shoe.
So there goes all the park destinations.  What else?

What good reason is there to vacation in Phuket?  All the bars, entertainment venues and 'tourist destinations' are now closed.  Can you even have a beer or wine with your meal at a restaurant?  Can you eat in a restaurant?  Go to the mall?  What's there to do on your vacation?
Yeah the "tourist" numbers sorta look Ok but that includes a lot of expats returning to their Thai homes.  Real tourists?  Not so much. 
Future tourism?  Nothing to do except to possibly get raped and murdered?  Assaulted?  Ripped off?
That really doesn't inspire confidence.  My guess is that people who will choose to vacation here really are rather ignorant of all things "Thailand" and how the world actually operates here.  Honestly?  Even where I live there are places I don't walk alone.  I'd call Thailand relatively safe within limits.  Solo travel off-the-beaten-track here can have consequences.  And I'm not confident that the RTP can do anything about it other than to gloss it over with glitzy Public Relations jargon and hyperbolic press releases.

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Like 1

I agree with all you have said except the bit about tourist numbers looking ok.

compared to prepandemic they are 99% down according to TAT. But they are also, what, 10% of the TAT targeted numbers? Revenue even at TAT figures is USD35 million and look at the costs associated with the sandbox. Just the advertising campaign must have cost a bomb with national tv ads in the UK plus whatever they did in other countries.

the best I can say is that it’s a start, but they didn’t hide their time till the time was right, and now they pay the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Just another Knee Jerk reaction from somebody in a Uniform with little knowledge in Tourism.

Yet another " adjustment ", exactly what the potential Tourists like to hear.

With everything that is already closed and even more to be closed, rampant Covid in the Country Etc, who in their right mind would want t Holiday in Phuket ?

After the Initial 3 Months of this Farce when all the Expats with Families and other Interests here have arrived, and the Thais from around the Globe that want to, come Home, the sandbox will die.

• Like 2

Just face it, their will not be any real tourism and the economy will not open  until the virus has been defeated. Stop wasting your time on this sandbox. Try putting the same effort into vaccinating as many people as you can with 2 jabs not one of quality vaccines  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Confidence could be restored very easily: allow the pubs to reopen and allow the girls to work in them. Done. 

Most male tourists come to Thailand for the sex industry , the go-go girls and/or boys will sure attract the tourists back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Most male tourists come to Thailand for the sex industry , the go-go girls and/or boys will sure attract the tourists back.

Allowing them to drink beer or wine with their meals would also help.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Confidence could be restored very easily: allow the pubs to reopen and allow the girls to work in them. Done. 

Phuket could end in a Covid desaster if they open the sex and entertainment industry. There are enough examples where one bar alone caused many Covid cases. And in addition not all tourists like this kind of business. I have many friends that avoid to come to Thailand exactly because of this. But Thailand seems to be somehow proud of it. How else could be explained that you have so many red light districts here. But TAT doesn't want to talk about it. Why not an advertisement with a shemale saying "Hello sexy man. Where you go?" to attract more quality tourists? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nabby said:

very upsetting    you want booze and sex to make you happy  ..  go home

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

"The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand ordered efforts to restore tourists’ confidence in safe and attractive Phuket"

I get how he orders just goes blah blah blah

But how do the recipients of this blah blah actually do this?

Maybe keep blah blah down the line until the cat in the litter box goes meow?

Funny.

I see these orders given all the time when there is a problem.  "All relative Agencies blah, blah,".

Definitely not a hands on approach.  

As regrettable as this insident was its not unlike other countries. 

People unfortunately get robbed, raped, murdered in every country.  One insident wouldn't change my plans. 

A raging pandemic with very little of the population vaccinated would.

They've got the culprit now move on. 

TAT is going to use this as an excuse for next this months very low numbers guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Why not an advertisement with a shemale saying "Hello sexy man. Where you go?" to attract more quality tourists? 

You would be surprised how many would take the offer.

• Haha 2

Hmmm....even if the bars were open and the young ladies/boys returned, this latest guideline could dampen the enthusiasm. Of course it doesn't specify exactly "where" the face mask must be worn. ????https://aseannow.com/topic/1226877-thailand%E2%80%99s-department-of-health-advises-people-wear-face-masks-during-sex/

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, ifmu said:

very upsetting    you want booze and sex to make you happy  ..  go home

Yes, booze and sex for a bit of fun and happiness. How utterly outrageous and blasphemous. I shall come to know Satan's warm embrace. Go back to church. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 6:37 AM, Mickeymaus said:

Phuket could end in a Covid desaster if they open the sex and entertainment industry. There are enough examples where one bar alone caused many Covid cases. And in addition not all tourists like this kind of business. I have many friends that avoid to come to Thailand exactly because of this. But Thailand seems to be somehow proud of it. How else could be explained that you have so many red light districts here. But TAT doesn't want to talk about it. Why not an advertisement with a shemale saying "Hello sexy man. Where you go?" to attract more quality tourists? 

OK, and in the meantime, why don't you start paying the bar staff their lost salaries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nabby said:

OK, and in the meantime, why don't you start paying the bar staff their lost salaries. 

It is bad that the bar staff doesn't get salaries. But you also have to understand that entertainment venues belong to one of the most risky businesses at Covid times. There have been enough big Covid clusters at bars already.

Endless other businesses have / had to suffer because nobody there cared much. And we are talking about big hotels, big shopping malls, big companies and not about some not sold beer or not sold lady drinks at bars.

This is exactly the problem - some entertainment venues do what they want. Some don't even care about a licence. And for this reason I personally hope that they will be the last businesses that will be allowed to open. 

many silly questions from ignorant negative folk, which answer is YES.

Beaches, Forests, Malls, Temples, Restaurants, Resorts are OPEN, with few people so increasing the attraction for many, esp.Family.

Nightclubs, Bars, Live Music, Golf, Diving Tours, Sailing Tours CLOSED.

Sandbox was a necessary cautious exploratory START, with Lessons Learned, nothing more. Unfortunate that Govt. did not just state that but instead foolishly & publicly aimed for unattainable Success & Targets …….. both impossible when NOBODY CAN KNOW the Experiment outcome…..