COVID-19 Infection Rate in Bangkok Is Decreasing

snoop1130

I have a feeling that deaths in Thailand might be WAY higher than is being reported. In the west we were very willing (maybe too much) to put Covid19 on the death certificate, and I have a feeling that they are the complete oppostie here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Almer said:

So do the village health care workers know all persons who come back in to the villages from a deep red zone, if this is the case why doesn't  the  czar do a tv update and reduce the panic which is in many Issan  villages.

KeeTua, a  coincidence indeed,  whilst sending a reply to you about village health care my wife was talking to a friend in the village and it appears that the friends son has retuned from a deep red and put into 14 day home

confinement that his  mum will ensure he sticks to, but, on the villagers hearing this mum has been banned from the mom and pop shop.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The only statistic necessary now is the number of tests. If the number goes up, more infections are reported. If the number goes down, less infections reported, yay, the wave has peaked.

Reminds me of some American guy, cannot remember his name but with orange hair, who advocated last year for less testing to lower the number of infected people in the US. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

I do suggest you fact check again why RT PCR tests are used for covid testing.  

His post rightfully deleted for misinformation. The RT PCR test can detect numerous respiratory pathogens and distinct strains of influenza and will distinguish between influenza and SARS-COV-2 which is the virus that caused COVID-19. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Almer said:

My comment was more, how, how would they know, is it that everybody knows everything about everybody and that linked to the tom tom drums is what alerts the health care providers, or is it more scientific?

All villagers are aware that returnees must contact the Puuyaibahn via phone to make arrangements prior to their arrival who in turn contacts the 'doctor' who helps to assess the situation and level of quarantine required. It would be a rare case that a returnee did not have contact with a relative prior to returning to know about the requirements.

I wouldn't say that everybody knows everything about everybody but in normal times in a close knit community like an Issan village I would guess that at least 25 people, neighbors and relatives, would know when someone returns and with the current level of paranoia word would reach the Puuyaibahn very fast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The UK is so far ahead of Thailand in numbers of vaccinations that it is out of sight. 

Same happened in India and that country is probably the opposite of the UK. In fact it's very simple. These kind of virii propagate until there's an equilibrium of infected and non infected. That's when it starts to drop fast. Lockdowns or stupid measures they only prolong the economic hardship until the equilibrium has been reached.

For more information study some statistics and graphs. It's all pretty clear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The UK is so far ahead of Thailand in numbers of vaccinations that it is out of sight. 

Vaccines don't stop you from getting or spreading the disease. After the jab, if you get infected your symptoms should not be severe. Why don't people make sure their vitamin D levels are high a d take zinc, vitamin C and magnesium act. Do everything to boost the immune system?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, laislica said:

Why don't people make sure their vitamin D levels are high a d take zinc, vitamin C and magnesium act. Do everything to boost the immune system?

I know I do and I'm sure many other people do the same.

5 hours ago, chang1 said:

The only numbers I look at are of deaths. Number of deaths X 1000 gives a good estimate of infections of unvaccinated people 2 weeks ago. 

Infections of vaccinated people can be ignored as they are at low risk. If no-one is dying who cares if the whole population is infected? That is the UK's strategy now.

I almost agree with that, except that the numbers I look at are deaths and people who are actually sick whether in hospital or not. Reason being that these people are actually suffering to a greater or lesser degree, and may go on to get "long Covid".

But certainly just testing positive doesn't really matter if one is asymptomatic, providing that you and those around you are getting vaccinated.

That is the essential difference between Thailand and UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Reminds me of some American guy, cannot remember his name but with orange hair, who advocated last year for less testing to lower the number of infected people in the US. 

Perhaps Anutin is trying to "trump" him with stupidity?

:sorry: .I'll get me coat.....

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DaveSamutP said:

In light of such a high positivity rate, how could these dunces possibly be confident without a MASSIVE aggressive testing campaign?

Then what? This information is nice to know, but they barely ramped up restrictions as cases doubled.

If they launched a massive campaign to find the extent of infections, then failed to act on that data, it's not very useful. Slows it slightly, for positive cases that quarantine. If you don't keep it up, you're back to where you started. I'm not sure it's the most impactful use of the limited resources available. Even free PPE would likely have more impact, especially if they got more creative than surgical masks (full head cover).

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bangkok numbers today increased to there highest. 1,112 higher then yesterday's.  Looks like the sky's upward still.

I thought the overall trend for infections in Bangkok had started to decline over the last few weeks?  Is that not the case, and today's rise is just a 'blip'?

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sure it is...

Haha

I have the same scepticism as you my friend they will do anything to get the Tourism to kick off again. No matter what, it’s going to take many years - the funs over -  bar the shouting as they Say !!!

9 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Then what? This information is nice to know, but they barely ramped up restrictions as cases doubled.

If they launched a massive campaign to find the extent of infections, then failed to act on that data, it's not very useful. Slows it slightly, for positive cases that quarantine. If you don't keep it up, you're back to where you started. I'm not sure it's the most impactful use of the limited resources available. Even free PPE would likely have more impact, especially if they got more creative than surgical masks (full head cover).

Ah the reactive approach no mass testing and not knowing what future hospital facilities are needed for those that need ICU and ventilators, sort of like the situation they are in now.

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sure it is...

Well an epidemic of covid in an area will normally follow a viral curve of maybe 90 days. If you think this wave started in early,June, then it should naturally be going down around sometime before now. The thing which might make a wave last longer in an area is the attempt to mitigate/flatten the curve. The infections don't just go up forever regardless of what we do.

Another thing to think is how many were infected and didn't get tested due to being mildly infected or asymptomatic. I am also sure that some/many may have had milder cases and didn't get tested due to not wanting to be isolated in a hospital or sent to one of those field hospitals until negative. I had some symptoms of what might have been a very mild case starting maybe a month ago that have since gone away. I am still stuck by the Asia border closures and have no insurance and am not in the Thai system and would not want to pay the cost of weeks in a Thai private hospital or be sent to one of those field hospitals so I didn't run to get tested. I feel fine now.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought the overall trend for infections in Bangkok had started to decline over the last few weeks?  Is that not the case, and today's rise is just a 'blip'?

I don't believe it's a blip, but hey anything is possible.  I look at the trending downward as a sign of fewer tests being given and wider use of the ATK rapid tests being used to isolate people at home without counting them as a case. The uptick today would indicate the infections are rising and more folks need to be hospitalised, ergo a PCR test instead of an ATK needed to put them into a facility.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Here is a chart, the blue line is Bangkok and 5 adjoining provinces, the trend is still upward as it has been for weeks.

https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/100864.pdf

data 10 aug 12.png

4 hours ago, VBF said:

I almost agree with that, except that the numbers I look at are deaths and people who are actually sick whether in hospital or not. Reason being that these people are actually suffering to a greater or lesser degree, and may go on to get "long Covid".

But certainly just testing positive doesn't really matter if one is asymptomatic, providing that you and those around you are getting vaccinated.

That is the essential difference between Thailand and UK.

I am just looking at if the situation is getting better or worse. 

How it affects people is important but also those numbers I would expect to be proportional to the death rate.

• Like 1

whoh!!!!  should we jump of happiness...happy days are here again

this data is useless. so many people are in and out of Bangkok.. 

number can go up or down.. it all depends on the number of people being tested, availability of the testing kits, and how efficiency the test kits.

As long as hospitals are full, many death, and low vaccination numbers, Bangkok is not safe yet.

4 hours ago, jacob29 said:

I hear you. If it was learned that infections were 2x, there would be few benefits without additional action. One immediate benefit though might be that people would be far more scared and adhere to social measures more carefully...

On 8/9/2021 at 6:27 PM, KeeTua said:

My wife was just saying that the local village health care workers have a good handle on any returnees to the villages now and they have a well established process on dealing with them.

Processing begins before returnees arrive to the village then depending on the individual situation the returnees are either allowed to return to their home for 14 day quarantine or if they've been directly exposed (husband positive, wife not sure yet for example) they are kept in a designated area for 14 days with testing every few days. If a returnee is positive when they arrive they are kept in another designated area to be looked after by one of the local 'doctors.' These designated holding areas watched around the clock.

Very impressive system. The numbers of those kept in the designated areas are going down now and I haven't heard of any local infections caused by a returnee to our group of villages. It does feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel for this wave now if we could only get some of the vaccines here.

Same in my village, we have no infections. About 7 km away is a large warehouse which has been turned into a holding station for returnees used by multiple villages. As of yet I have not seen or heard of returnees where I live, perhaps 14 days of isolation is a big turnoff.

The doctors where I am seem to be getting a hold on things. My missus has spoken with our hospital doctor wanting to know the ins and outs of what will happen as we are getting our first shots of AstraZenica today. The doc told her that I as a foreigner will be charged 4,000 Baht but that includes 3 shots, the third shot being a booster, I'm not sure of the time period but the second jab will take place 12 weeks after the first one.

I haven't heard from expatvac so I assume this is due to the Surin government, whatever....a vaccination is a vaccination

Edited by soalbundy