Best movie intros

Two GREAT Westerns with great music:

'HIGH NOON' (directed by Fred Zinnemann 1962) the title sequence - what great casting! - the killers gather (Lee van Cleef, Sheb Woolley and Robert J. Wilke) - look out Coop!  Tex Ritter singing the immortal 'Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling'. 

But where was that other super villain Jack Elam? (actually playing a tiny part as the town drunk)

He waited for the wonderful opening sequence of Sergio Leone's 'ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)- another great trio of gunmen (including Jack and Woody Strode) -  plus Charles Bronson and terrific music by Ennio Morricone.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Caspersfriend said:

Never was but should have been a movie:

Did you miss "Twin Peaks, fire walk with me" the prequel?

Lynch showed genius in some parts of that series, but some of his ideas were just barking, IMO. From what I read about the follow up series recently, IMO he went completely gaga, but the original series was brilliant.

I doubt it would have worked as a stand alone movie though.

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss "Twin Peaks, fire walk with me" the prequel?

Lynch showed genius in some parts of that series, but some of his ideas were just barking, IMO. From what I read about the follow up series recently, IMO he went completely gaga, but the original series was brilliant.

I doubt it would have worked as a stand alone movie though.

Agree with your comments. I'll look out for the prequel. He did get nine Emmy award nominations for 'Twin Peak : The Return' but I haven't seen that either. The Twin Peakes series intro tune is inspired --- it hangs around in the head long after. Apparently he's still into screenplays and such. Reckons his longevity is down to Transcendental Meditation

1 hour ago, Caspersfriend said:

Agree with your comments. I'll look out for the prequel. He did get nine Emmy award nominations for 'Twin Peak : The Return' but I haven't seen that either. The Twin Peakes series intro tune is inspired --- it hangs around in the head long after. Apparently he's still into screenplays and such. Reckons his longevity is down to Transcendental Meditation

The prequel is very dark, and wasn't popular, but every Twin Peaks fan should see it as it explains a lot.

I read most of the Return plots on the internet and decided not to see it. Unless it's on Netflix in NZ I doubt I ever will now that DVDs are not being sold here anymore.

The music was by Angelo Badalamenti. IMO one of the greatest composers of music for movies. When I rewatch Twin Peaks on DVD I always watch the intro sequence for the music and the visual, both of which IMO are inspired by genius. Most series I'll fast forward through them.

For me though, the most emotional music/ visual sequence is in the Bang Bang bar while Maddy was being murdered by Bob. Pure genius.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's one that I remember from a very young age. Not a movie. The opening is powerful and the haunting images of faces burning I think would shock and attract the interest of TV viewers today were this on regular TV. It's just history but for me the best documentary series despite its age.

The first episode is here but you can see the opening of it. Older folks will remember this well I think.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Here's one that I remember from a very young age. Not a movie. The opening is powerful and the haunting images of faces burning I think would shock and attract the interest of TV viewers today were this on regular TV. It's just history but for me the best documentary series despite its age.

The first episode is here but you can see the opening of it. Older folks will remember this well I think.

I do remember it well.

IMO it should be compulsory viewing for all secondary school pupils to learn about what happens when a nation follows leaders blindly.

• Like 1