Can I open a UK bank account online without visiting the UK?

5 hours ago, james2m said:

I hadn’t been back to the UK in years, and opened both Revolut and Monzo fine, you can set your tax residence as a different country. IIRC all I had to do was go through the KYC check which was a video of me holding my passport.

How did you get past the UK utility bill/evidence of your residency requirement, which is part of the KYC process?

5 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

I don't know about Laos but I have opened a Transferwise account using my address in Thailand, the only catch was I needed to form a UK limited company with address service for about 100 GBP, 

After opening the company transferwise account, I was permitted to add personal account with Thai address.

No false declaration required and all above board.

Does Transferwise link to PayPal?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

https://statrys.com/blog/open-revolut-account

I use Revolut and it's awesome. You can get the card mailed to a friend of yours in the UK, Singapore or Japan.

I did not have to supply a utility bill to Revolut when I signed up. The problem would arise when you want to load up Revolut they accept EU and UK and SG and Japanese banks, but you probably can't link a Laotian bank account to Revolut, ie use it to pay money into Revolut.

You can set up a UK company and open a bank account for that company.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know it's not the UK, per se, but some Isle of Man banks will open accounts for non-residents from overseas.   Standard is one I've had experience of recently.

Indeed, I also have one in the IoM, but I did clarify the "onshore" bank can be an issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does it link to PayPal?

It's easy to set up Wise as your go-to payment account for PayPal withdrawals. Sign up for a Wise Borderless account. ... This is where you link bank accounts and debit/credit accounts, which fund PayPal payments and enable you to withdraw your balance. Link a new bank account to your PayPal account.Jun 14, 2021

found this on google

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

you will need a uk mobile number as well

My Monzo account just works from the app on my Thai phone, they have a UK contact number, but it's never been required or needed to complete transactions.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, Satcommlee said:

I don't know about Laos but I have opened a Transferwise account using my address in Thailand, the only catch was I needed to form a UK limited company with address service for about 100 GBP, 

After opening the company transferwise account, I was permitted to add personal account with Thai address.

No false declaration required and all above board.

(Transfer)Wise is an excellent money transfer service - it is not a bank.

"Your TransferWise borderless account is an Electronic Money account. ... Although your bank details are unique, they don't represent real bank accounts, but simply 'addresses' for your Electronic Money account, meaning you can receive payments much like a real bank account"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Waste of time, no UK banks will open accounts for anyone not resident in the UK.

I'd call 'not true' on that one. I have a 'Smile Bank' account which I set up before leaving the UK for good. A few years back I decided it was time to sort out my finances for when the time comes for my demise. 'Smile Bank' allowed me to open a 'joint account' by adding my wife to my account. She now has her own debit card with a separate PIN number to mine. I make her do our money transfers, via Wise, so she has it all 'down pat'.

To do a joint account she had to send them her birth and marriage cert and confirmation of her abode.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You lost me mate. My wife is Thai. She's never been resident in the UK and she doesn't work.

They now say that joint account holders both need to be resident in the UK to open an account, with the main account holder earning in excess of £6,000, they clearly take account of a second account holder who doesn't work, and the nationality is irrelevant.

You'll be aware that we're trying to give advice to the OP, who is resident in Laos, it's not about what happened to you as the OP's circumstances are totally different to yours.

What is it that you don't understand?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You lost me mate. My wife is Thai. She's never been resident in the UK and she doesn't work.

I think the point is that you would not be able to add your wife NOW because the rules have changed......... so what happened a few years back is irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I think the point is that you would not be able to add your wife NOW because the rules have changed......... so what happened a few years back is irrelevant.

Basically if the rules have changed then my wife's account should be suspended. She's not a UK resident. What happened to those that lost their UK bank accounts, or vise versa, due to Brexit?

Edited by IvorBiggun2

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
On 8/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Waste of time, no UK banks will open accounts for anyone not resident in the UK.

I'd call 'not true' on that one. I have a 'Smile Bank' account which I set up before leaving the UK for good. A few years back I decided it was time to sort out my finances for when the time comes for my demise. 'Smile Bank' allowed me to open a 'joint account' by adding my wife to my account.

Doesn't matter what you "call", UK banks will not currently open accounts for anyone not resident in the UK...

"Apply for our Current Account
To apply, you need to be:
18 or over
A UK resident"

https://www.smile.co.uk/currentaccounts

What you did was just add a 2nd name to an existing account years ago, that's all, the OP wants a new account, and in 2021.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:

You already had an account that opened when you were resident in the UK, but now they say:

She didn't open a new account, you added her name to yours, and, as you said yourself, that was years ago when requirements may have been different to 2021.

The bottom line is that Smile will not open new accounts for non-UK residents.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:

What is it that you don't understand?

Why I can't comment about what others have chipped in with. ie having to be a UK resident etc.

You can comment, obviously, but you're not just commenting, you're wrongly stating that the information I provided was incorrect, it was not.  UK residency is a requirement to open a new account with any UK bank currently and that includes Smile.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Basically if the rules have changed then my wife's account should be suspended. She's not a UK resident. What happened to those that lost their UK bank accounts, or vise versa, due to Brexit?

You're not a UK resident either according to your posts.   Why don't you contact Smile and tell them that you are no longer resident in the UK just to see what their reaction is?

Brexit is irrelevant to the OP.

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'll get back to you on that. I'll drop Smile Bank a secure enquiry. Bare this in mind whilst I check.

Can I open a bank account if I am not a UK resident?

As a physical person, even if you are not a UK citizen and also a non-resident, you can still have a UK bank account. There is no law or restriction applying to owning a UK bank account. However, things are not that simple. ... Banks are in no obligation to open bank accounts if you are a non-UK citizen and/or resident.

In my wife's case Smile felt obliged. 
Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'll get back to you on that. I'll drop Smile Bank a secure enquiry. Bare this in mind whilst I check.

Can I open a bank account if I am not a UK resident?

As a physical person, even if you are not a UK citizen and also a non-resident, you can still have a UK bank account. There is no law or restriction applying to owning a UK bank account. However, things are not that simple. ... Banks are in no obligation to open bank accounts if you are a non-UK citizen and/or resident.

Expand  
In my wife's case Smile felt obliged.

"Bare [sic] this in mind whilst I check"

Bear this in mind, there's no need to get back to me abut it.  UK banks will not currently open accounts for non-residents.  That includes Smile, it noted on it's website as a requirement for every account.

Yes, years ago, they were obliged to do what you requested, to add your wife's name to a sole account making it an joint account.  She did not get a new account that Smile "felt obliged" to open for her.

In your secure enquiry don't forget to tell them that neither you nor your wife are UK residents and and haven't been for years.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/13/2021 at 7:51 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Bear this in mind, there's no need to get back to me abut it.  UK banks will not currently open accounts for non-residents.  That includes Smile, it noted on it's website as a requirement for every account.

Yes, years ago, they were obliged to do what you requested, to add your wife's name to a sole account making it an joint account.  She did not get a new account that Smile "felt obliged" to open for her.

In your secure enquiry don't forget to tell them that neither you nor your wife are UK residents and and haven't been for years.

I don't know if they still do it but at one time banks would only give new applicants a basic account with restricted options, plus opening saving accounts were not an option. When my wife was about to come to the UK, my niece who worked for a UK bank, suggested this option.

For me to open a standard current account in my name (with no restrictions) and add my wife as a joint account holder. A short time after that I could remove my name, leaving my wife as the sole account holder, but without the restrictions of a basic account. Then,  my wife, having an existing account, could also open any account (current and savings) at any bank in just her name. 

Of course it would need a second person to (temporarily) open an account in the UK, but it worked for us.  

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

I don't know if they still do it but at one time banks would only give new applicants a basic account with restricted options, plus opening saving accounts were not an option. When my wife was about to come to the UK, my niece who worked for a UK bank, suggested this option.

For me to open a standard current account in my name (with no restrictions) and add my wife as a joint account holder. A short time after that I could remove my name, leaving my wife as the sole account holder, but without the restrictions of a basic account. Then,  my wife, having an existing account, could also open any account (current and savings) at any bank in just her name. 

Of course it would need a second person to (temporarily) open an account in the UK, but it worked for us.  

Currently no UK bank will open accounts for non-UK residents.   That's just the way it is.