Where's the expats mainly?

I'm stuck in Sydney Australia ,I usually travel to Thailand 4 times a year but of course with covid that's out !

So I'm nearly 60 and in the last few months have met a Filipino lady who is half my age and moved into the apartment next to me in a big building in Sydney.

We got meeting during our time waiting for the elevator and fast forward she visits everyday

Anyway I never ever experienced Filipino ladies before and I can say they are very caring etc.

.well she is anyway in terms of housekeeping ,cooking etc unlike Thai ladies I have experienced in regard to hard work it seems Filipino are more hard working but that's my opinion 

Now I'm not stupid enough to rush in and marry her Etc but I would like her to be my GF eventually...I have never been to the Philippines because all the stories you hear from expats in Thailand of how dangerous it is .

The lady I'm seeing has no immediate family but was brought up in General Santos City ( Jensen) which looks ok by YouTube video

I would like a place to eventually retire to with her that has a feel like Pattaya , or with a lot of expats living there , and she has said we can go look Boricay ? Etc 

What about Angeles City to live ? 

What's your lifestyle like there as a expat ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would look into:

Dumaguete (and nearby towns if you intend to have a vehicle)

Iloilo City

Mactan Island (close to Cebu City)

Tagaytay City (cooler, overlooking a volcano)

Bohol 

I see Boracay as more of a tourist place than an expat living place.

• Like 2

To add, I know nothing about Camiguin Island but these youtubers are incredibly well travelled and they rate it very highly (ranked SIXTH best for the entire world). For me, sounds too isolated though. (They rate Dumaguette which I have been to as the SECOND best in the world.)

Start at 15:00. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now I'm not stupid enough to rush in and marry her Etc but I would like her to be my GF eventually...I have never been to the Philippines because all the stories you hear from expats in Thailand of how dangerous it is .

I never found any danger there, and I always walked through the poor area late at night to get from bus station to airport. Everyone was very polite as they sat outside their shanties, "Enjoy your holiday sir" was often said as I walked past. (Normally  the locals will call you 'sir' or 'boss', no racial slurs at all, they seem to like foreigners)

As for places to live, Borocay would probably be the most expensive.

I used to stay in Barretto (near Olongapo), very nice beaches, lots of foreigners, many 'nightclubs' and resorts. Can't say what it's like now with COVID, might be as locked down as Pattaya. Was no problem to have Aussie meat pies for lunch in the local pubs. Lots of Brits and Australians running most of the resorts.

Free 1 year VISA from the consulate if you are entering with your Filipino wife.

This is Baloy Long Beach just before COVID.

IMG_20161112_113716_PANO.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

On 8/12/2021 at 3:21 AM, Jingthing said:

To add, I know nothing about Camiguin Island but these youtubers are incredibly well travelled and they rate it very highly (ranked SIXTH best for the entire world). For me, sounds too isolated though. (They rate Dumaguette which I have been to as the SECOND best in the world.)

Start at 15:00. 

I was on Camiguan Island with my pinay GF when Covid struck in early 2020. We had been there about 5 days and that was more than enough. There is little infrastructure and the though of us being stuck there ealry last year had us thinking where we should go. We felt the best choices from there were Dumaguete City (Negros Island) or one of the resort places close to Cebu City would be best. We settled on Moalboal, and ended up staying there 13 months. It's a nice place, but also under developed, and with few accomodation options. Try Dumaguete - but remember that anywhere in The Philippines will take getting used to. A lot of foreigners struggle to fit in there - I wish you luck !

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:09 AM, Jingthing said:

I would look into:

Iloilo City

Bohol 

I'd give Tagaytay a miss - 

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/tiny-philippine-volcano-ejects-smoke-ash-villagers-flee-68226759

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1458244/taal-volcano-alert-level-3-stays-74-volcanic-quakes-recorded-in-last-24-hours

Taal Volcano in the Philippines: Danger, beauty -- and golf! | CNN Travel

On 8/12/2021 at 8:09 AM, BritManToo said:

no racial slurs at all, they seem to like foreigners

Are you sure about the no Racial Slurs?!? - What about "Hey Joe"!?! Cheeky buggers, thinking I'm American (I'm British don't you know)...  ???? 

Joking aside OP, Jensen is a little bit too Southern Mindano but I really like Davao City which has quite a few expats (2nd largest city in Philippines) though very little Pattaya style nightlife unless you know where to go.

If I were to leave Thailand then it would quite possibly be to move to Davao City or one of the quieter areas in Cebu (CarCar etc...) ????  

Edited by Mike Teavee

58 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

I was on Camiguan Island with my pinay GF when Covid struck in early 2020. We had been there about 5 days and that was more than enough. There is little infrastructure and the though of us being stuck there ealry last year had us thinking where we should go. We felt the best choices from there were Dumaguete City (Negros Island) or one of the resort places close to Cebu City would be best. We settled on Moalboal, and ended up staying there 13 months. It's a nice place, but also under developed, and with few accomodation options. Try Dumaguete - but remember that anywhere in The Philippines will take getting used to. A lot of foreigners struggle to fit in there - I wish you luck !

Yeah I tend to get the point of most of that channel's strong recommendations but I was mystified as to why they picked Camiguan. Similarly they very highly rated Puerto Moreles in Mexico. I can't see moving there super long term either. The truth is they can't help themselves as they don't wish to ever settle down anywhere and they don’t approve of their viewers that are seeking their ultimate it place either. Kind of like a bald guy advising on hair styles. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Are you sure about the no Racial Slurs?!? - What about "Hey Joe"!?! Cheeky buggers, thinking I'm American (I'm British don't you know)...  ???? 

Joking aside OP, Jensen is a little bit too Southern Mindano but I really like Davao City which has quite a few expats (2nd largest city in Philippines) though very little Pattaya style nightlife unless you know where to go.

If I were to leave Thailand then it would quite possibly be to move to Davao City or one of the quieter areas in Cebu (CarCar etc...) ????  

I've heard that Davao City is particularly good for single expats.

'It's fine for a dirty weekend, but it's not a place to live as there's nothing else there. 

Not sure what you are looking for in Angeles, apart from a beach, that they dont have.? It is a huge place really, the bar area is only a tiny part of it. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I tend to get the point of most of that channel's strong recommendations but I was mystified as to why they picked Camiguan. Similarly they very highly rated Puerto Moreles in Mexico. I can't see moving there super long term either. The truth is they can't help themselves as they don't wish to ever settle down anywhere and they don’t approve of their viewers that are seeking their ultimate it place either. Kind of like a bald guy advising on hair styles. 

Haha, yeah that’s right. I also enjoy that channel take a lot of the recommendations with a grain of salt. They did spend quite a long time in Dumaguete last year I think and were quite positive about it.

I could definitely stay there long term (based on a week exploring the place). It has everything you need for a decent life.  A short ferry ride away is Siquijor Island, which would be a good break from Duma from time to time. I would rate Siquijor as a better place to live than Camiguan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

Haha, yeah that’s right. I also enjoy that channel take a lot of the recommendations with a grain of salt. They did spend quite a long time in Dumaguete last year I think and were quite positive about it.

I could definitely stay there long term (based on a week exploring the place). It has everything you need for a decent life.  A short ferry ride away is Siquijor Island, which would be a good break from Duma from time to time. I would rate Siquijor as a better place to live than Camiguan.

Dumaguete is definitely an area worth considering. Yeah, they were stuck there for a long time and happy about that.

Considering the types of amenities and infrastructure that most more "normal" western expats are looking for in any place that settle down in abroad. You know, shopping malls, restaurants, acceptable hospitals, general infrastructure. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Depends what you are looking for, you live in Sydney so perhaps a bigger city ? in Manila, Makati and BGC are good places to start. If you want smaller coastal place then the nation is full of likely locations, many have been listed here already or off the beaten track there is that as well.

I like Tagagtay there is the on going issue of the Taal volcano though, the time i spent there was prior to the initial eruption.  Its a little cooler, not to far from Manila & Batangas and you can get across to Puerta Galera easily from Batangas via Ferry. 

Angeles is an ok place, it's inland (if you prefer the Coast and can get HOT (think Penrith) in summer.

Lot of expats around Cebu, Mactan Island area.  I haven't spend much time there. I here good things about Davao but have not been.

English is much better then in Thailand. Petty scams are rife, so if you find that annoying be aware.

Getting around the Philippines is tricker then Thailand as there are so many islands but that's what makes the place interesting.

Typhoons are an issue (not so much for a short holiday but if you thought of living there) as is geological instability (earthquakes, volcanoes etc)

My perspective: Aussie, living on the Gold Coast, 54. I prefer Philippines to Thailand.

Edited by BumGun
  • Thanks 1

The grass isn't always greener abroad. 

Stick to your 4 trips abroad a year , just make them a bit longer. As others have said , right now the country is closed anyway.

Go to Cairns for a week or two. Tropical feel and lots of Japanese women around.  At least that's what a friend who lives there 6 months of a year tells me.

4 minutes ago, BumGun said:

in Manila, Makati and BGC are good places to start

Briefly toyed with the idea of moving to BGC (Bonifacio Global City) with work & found that comparible condos walking distance to the office were on a par with what I was paying in Singapore BUT my salary would have been pro-rated (down) to reflect the cost of living differences between Philippines & Singapore and my tax bill would have gone up (SG has ridiculously low income taxes), so for my particular set of cirumstances at that time, BGC was more expensive than Singapore... (As an aside, so was Bangkok at that time based solely on the difference in income tax).

BGC (& the Taguig area) is really nice though, you don't feel like you're in Manila (or the Philippines) when you're there, still prefer the VIsayas (Davao in particular) though.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:09 AM, Jingthing said:

I would look into:

Iloilo City

Bohol 

I wouldn't go anywhere near a volcano, a mate of mine had one erupt twice a few Kms from his town, luckily he heeded the warnings and got out in time but the clean up is horrendous.

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

I wouldn't go anywhere near a volcano, a mate of mine had one erupt twice a few Kms from his town, luckily he heeded the warnings and got out in time but the clean up is horrendous.

Rent. don't buy.

I haven't been to Tagaytay but if I get to the Philippines again, I would want to check it out. 

There are Iloilo City. 

A couple of things you need to find out for yourself

How was she able to afford buying a plane ticket and getting a visa to enter Australia?

How is she able to stay in Australia?

Also if she is not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia, you need to ask yourself is she just being very caring etc to you in trying to see if you are her ticket to be able to stay permanently in Australia. 

A thing that may help you find this out is to find out if marriage to an Australian citizen or divorce from an Australian citizen can open the way for her to be able to apply for permanent residence or citizenship.

If it does not open the way for her, then sometime soon you need to tell her this and see if she sticks around. And also tell her that if you were to get married in the future that she would absolutely have to sign a prenuptial agreement and explain to her what it is.

And if she does not stick around, you know why.

Also there is a possibility that she sees herself indebted to the people that raised her and could currently be sending them money or has a strong desire to start sending them money when she is able.

Also if she did not arrive in Australia as a student but arrived as an overseas worker, there could be a possibility that she has a kid or kids in the Philippines and maybe even a husband.

And all of this can apply to any person in Australia or any other developed country that is not a permanent resident or citizen because we have to face it, that it is the dream of many people around the world to be able to become a permanent resident or citizen of a developed country and sadly some will lie and deceive to become one

Edited by zeekgarcia
  • Thanks 1

A few people have mentioned BGC - it has been home to me for 7 years and I still really enjoy living there, although it has its downsides. In terms of renting, we moved from a large 2 bed condo on Soi Wittayu, BKK, to a pokey 1 bed place in BGC and were paying about the same in rent.  We ended up buying in one of the older BGC condos to get more footprint for our  cash and are reasonably happy, although the condo is beset with the same association scams we experienced in Thailand.

In terms of quality of life, BGC has a fantastic array of restaurants, bars and nightlife. It doesn't necessarily have the racier aspects of Makati Ave, but it has a very progressive feel to it. it also has lots of shopping, open areas and mini parks, well laid out roads and is easy to get around. It is also well located for accessing various main arteries to other parts of the  metro or beyond. In terms of safety, I have never had any worries walking around BGC, unlike elsewhere in Metro Manila.

The quality of life there can be a bit of a hindrance, however. At weekends it can become very crowded with daytrippers frome elsewhere out to enjoy the relative tranquility of the place. They bring with them the noise, litter and congestion you might expect.   

If you like big cities and want to retain a bit of safety and like high  standards of infrastructure, BGC is well worth considering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been to many of these locations mentioned.

I was bored <deleted>less in IloIlo tho parts are very clean and modern, it's a "small town" feel and so girls are worried about gossip, that means conservative "god fearing" and protracted dating nonsense, ain't no old timers got time for that.

Its also gearing up for the budget Chinese market, as evidenced my massive hotels going up everywhere.

Dumaguete and surrounds seemed like I could stay there, but I only was there at a resort some way out of town. It has some of the biggest trikes too, not those hobbit-mobiles in Angeles! 

Dumaguete may have Islamic separatist issues in the future, kidnappings etc. Nasty business.

Boracay is tiny, I could not see anyone being happy there long term. Unless your job is dive instructor.

There's more to Angeles than the strip! For starters the base (Clark) has a great airport that gets you to Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, or the Middle East Hubs point to point. That's also a duty free area with every item you could ever want from the various hypermarkets within the old base boundary. lastly, Medical City Angeles also on the base, is one of the best hospitals in the entire PI. They saved my life.

Cebu has a traffic problem like Manila, it's dirty, and I found it a bit depressing. Mactan island is <deleted> outside of the resorts. But it is less hectic than Cebu city. The airport there sucks too, but they were expanding it, so maybe its better now.

Overall, the burning of garbage daily, roosters, dogs, and cats in plague proportions, wilting/rotten "fresh" produce at the local wet markets, guns guns guns everywhere, and street robbery/shootings do happen. Things are far more desperate than they were there.

Compared to Thailand, it really is a more genuinely warm welcome, but its very much a developing nation also, and that's evident in every town.

Their drug paranoia means opiate pain care is almost unheard of, even Dear Leader gets his fentanyl from Singapore, so if you get very unwell, you'll be getting by on paracetamol for pain management! 

I miss the people, but not the place.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to most places in southeast asia.  after many years of exploring I chose thailand.  it's a personal thing.  that said, everybody is different.  if you are really serious about coming over and retiring over here somewhere, I suggest you spend some time in each place to find out which place is right for you.  I've been living overseas now for close to 24 years. happy.