Food shortages?

habuspasha

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Approximately 10 7-Eleven's within a short walking distance of my condo in Bangkok have been out of many actual food items for the past three weeks. However they have plenty of snack items.

Talking about 7/11. 2 near me have been shut for 2weeks.

And a tesco' supermarket is continuosly out of stock of the basics.

Methinks cp greedy is suffering.

14 hours ago, habuspasha said:

My GF says her local Tesco in Nakhon Pathom was out of noodles.  And rice was low.  Is this an isolated occurrence?  We saw pictures of empty shelves a few weeks ago.  And I understand some medicines like Tylenol are unattainable.  What is your experience?

I live in Nakhon Pathom [mueang].. I can buy anything I want, not seen any shortages of anything.

If your G/f saw less noodles at the large Tesco then just go to one of the smaller Tesco leks or CJ stores, I have both near my home and the shelves are stocked as normal.

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Having one item missing or low in one market is a food shortage?  Villa was out of the Kettle chips I like, I guess that is a food shortage?  There is plenty of food out there in the markets to have a fulfilled nutritional life.

Villa Market (both Pattaya stores) have been out of my grapefruit juice and refried beans for months. Definitely supply chain issues.

15 hours ago, habuspasha said:

What is your experience?

No problem where I live down south, but chicken meat has gone up in price from just below 50 baht per kilo to now 70 baht per kilo for chicken breast, which should be caused by Covid-outbreak among factory workers and closed production facilities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orchidfan said:

My local favorite 711 was out of Tappers beer for a week or two. 

Manager said it was supply chain,or something. So it was Cheers Extra.

Then, low and behold today,  the chiller fridge is full of Tappers. 

There is a God ????.

Otherwise no local shortages around here (Rangsit ). 

Locals seem happy with streetside fish balls, bbq chicken and sausages on sticks! 10B a stick.

Cheaper than KFC or McCrap

???? its 220 baht right now for 6 pieces at kfc +14 popcorn chicken, delivered

no stomach aches either haha

On 8/13/2021 at 7:18 AM, tonray said:

My GF is a manager for Tops market, she said it's not really supply shortages, although there are some bottlenecks, but rather hoarding, people are loading up carts with 2 or 3 weeks food, especially staples like noodles, etc and meats that they can freeze for later use. They are working 7 days a week stocking shelves just to keep up.

"and meats that they can freeze for later use." I never freeze any food I have bought at a market or supermarket as I don't know if it has been previously frozen. To freeze the food again after it has been defrosted can cause food poisoning.

Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

The missus got a call from her 'Ma-Ma' last night telling her to stock up on food as so many people are going into isolation at home, factories shut, and lockdowns affecting production and deliveries. My local mini C have been out of eggs and very low on milk. There has been reports of egg producers hoarding so as to price gouge. I don't like to hoard or panic buy, but it seems with the current situation we are left with no choice. 

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"and meats that they can freeze for later use." I never freeze any food I have bought at a market or supermarket as I don't know if it has been previously frozen. To freeze the food again after it has been defrosted can cause food poisoning.

The  general opinion from a food safety perspective is that it is "ok" to re-freeze raw meat so long as it has been kept well refridgerated in between time/s. But it comes at the cost of deterioration in quality .

Re-freezing cooked food is NOT considered a good idea because it is more likely it has experienced a period of time at room temps allowing a build up of bacterial content.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

The  general opinion from a food safety perspective is that it is "ok" to re-freeze raw meat so long as it has been kept well refridgerated in between time/s. But it comes at the cost of deterioration in quality .

Re-freezing cooked food is NOT considered a good idea because it is more likely it has experienced a period of time at room temps allowing a build up of bacterial content.

That's good information, thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

As long as you cook it thoroughly to a high temperature you should be OK. But it is better to freeze the cooked food, but do it straight after it has cooled down, preferably in the fridge..

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

My observation in local Makro yesterday was that many areas of food like "processed food" were very condensed, brands missing (CP) and less stock generally on display.Same in the dairy section, all condensed down.

My opinion is production factories have been hit by Covid and the supply chain is broken.

Same applies to certain products in 7-11 now missing for about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, RichardColeman said:

There's a shortage of beer in my nearest Lidl if that helps ???? 

i loved the beer from lidl when i lived in france it was a abbey vercluse or something like that a cheap leffe but very drinkable 6.3 ° i think 6 bottles 25cl   2 euros 40 cents or about  2 quid   cheaper than here in Thailand   Lidl please open here ...ha

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

The UK's issues are caused by Brexit.  Why would that affect Thailand?

Because you're wrong, it's caused by Covid:

"LONDON, July 21 (Reuters) - Britain’s food supply chains are “right on the edge of failing” as absence related to COVID-19 has aggravated a critical shortage of labour, a meat industry body said on Wednesday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-food-supply-chains-edge-failing-meat-industry-says-2021-07-21/

11 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Because you're wrong, it's caused by Covid:

"LONDON, July 21 (Reuters) - Britain’s food supply chains are “right on the edge of failing” as absence related to COVID-19 has aggravated a critical shortage of labour, a meat industry body said on Wednesday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-food-supply-chains-edge-failing-meat-industry-says-2021-07-21/

Of course!   Brexit has nothing to do with it.  That's why all the other European countries suffering with Covid problems have the same supply chain issues, er, oh, no they don't.  If you read what you posted you'll notice it says "has aggravated a critical shortage of labour".  The "critical shortage of labour" is predominantly caused by the loss of 60,000 HGV drivers post Brexit, and European hauliers cutting Britain from their routes due to the customs, paperwork and logistical issues caused by Brexit, sorry, erm, Covid.

Other European countries have high Covid numbers, also have track and trace "pings" to isolate, but have no food shortages or empty supermarket shelves.  Funny how the UK issues only came after we sent all the European drivers packing.  Also I guess the shortage of fruit pickers, bar staff and manual labour is also due to Covid and not Brexit.  Right?  Farming and fishing crisis also due to Covid?

Here's another view for you with interviews with actual retailers.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19467004.retailers-blame-brexit-food-shortages-sweep-across-scotlands-stores/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Of course!   Brexit has nothing to do with it.  That's why all the other European countries suffering with Covid problems have the same supply chain issues, er, oh, no they don't.  If you read what you posted you'll notice it says "has aggravated a critical shortage of labour".  The "critical shortage of labour" is predominantly caused by the loss of 60,000 HGV drivers post Brexit, and European hauliers cutting Britain from their routes due to the customs, paperwork and logistical issues caused by Brexit, sorry, erm, Covid.

Other European countries have high Covid numbers, also have track and trace "pings" to isolate, but have no food shortages or empty supermarket shelves.  Funny how the UK issues only came after we sent all the European drivers packing.  Also I guess the shortage of fruit pickers, bar staff and manual labour is also due to Covid and not Brexit.  Right?  Farming and fishing crisis also due to Covid?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19467004.retailers-blame-brexit-food-shortages-sweep-across-scotlands-stores/

Brexit has caused food shortages in Thailand ?

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

"On Monday, England's car plants, railways, supermarkets and pubs warned the government that the COVID-19 tracing app, which has told hundreds of thousands of workers to isolate, was wrecking the recovery and pushing supply chains to the brink of collapse."

"Iceland Foods said over 1,000 workers, some 3% of its total staff, have been asked to self isolate, having been pinged by the app, forcing it to reduce trading hours and even shut a few stores."

So clearly caused by the UK government's Covid response and locking down people.

You are also wrong that other European countries did not have supply issues because of Covid, they did.

"Food Supply Pressure in France and Germany During COVID-19"

"The food supply has been disrupted by COVID-19. Shopping in supermarkets and grocery stores in the pandemic may not be a pleasant experience, as it can often lead to disappointment and anxiety since a lot of food items are not available or out of stock. The pandemic’s impact on the food supply has attracted attention from scholars and practitioners alike, and there have been many studies based on evidence from developing countries (e.g., Zurayk, 2020)."

http://www.fao.org/family-farming/detail/en/c/1305066/

39 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

According to one poster, yes.

No, I think you'll find it's Covid 19 responses by government such as lockdown and isolation of key workers that has caused the supply chain issues.

No Brexit in France or Germany, but they still had supermarket supply issues due to Covid.

40 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

"On Monday, England's car plants, railways, supermarkets and pubs warned the government that the COVID-19 tracing app, which has told hundreds of thousands of workers to isolate, was wrecking the recovery and pushing supply chains to the brink of collapse."

"Iceland Foods said over 1,000 workers, some 3% of its total staff, have been asked to self isolate, having been pinged by the app, forcing it to reduce trading hours and even shut a few stores."

So clearly caused by the UK government's Covid response and locking down people.

You are also wrong that other European countries did not have supply issues because of Covid, they did.

"Food Supply Pressure in France and Germany During COVID-19"

"The food supply has been disrupted by COVID-19. Shopping in supermarkets and grocery stores in the pandemic may not be a pleasant experience, as it can often lead to disappointment and anxiety since a lot of food items are not available or out of stock. The pandemic’s impact on the food supply has attracted attention from scholars and practitioners alike, and there have been many studies based on evidence from developing countries (e.g., Zurayk, 2020)."

http://www.fao.org/family-farming/detail/en/c/1305066/

Ha ha brilliant, you read a headline and posted the link.  Well done!  It's an academic research paper - did you read beyond the headline?  Clearly not, otherwise you would have read that the paper is about the science of food supply chains and is focusing on March 2020 when the pandemic was at its peak and no vaccines has been rolled out.  You would also read how Covid had little to do with things, although panic buying was a big factor in MARCH 2020.  You have posted a link to an article that you didn't read that actually proves the case against your argument - a masterstroke!!

"Although the panic from the COVID-19 pandemic is perceived as a catalyst for the pressure on the food supply, there could be other interpretations. As noted by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO, 2020), COVID-19’s disruption to agriculture is minimal, and the food market is largely stable. Furthermore, in France and Germany, technology is widely applied in the agriculture sector, and therefore COVID-19 is unlikely to have significant impact on the countries’ agricultural activities, which are not highly labor-intensive. In addition, media have reported that excessive amounts of milk have been produced and producers have to reduce the milk supply in France and Germany (Stöcker, 2020), but in the supermarket milk is often sold out. Therefore, in France and Germany, if the sudden increase in demand is not the only reason for the strain on food supply, and COVID-19’s impact on agricultural activities is minimal, what could be the other reasons? A less mentioned yet important reason is the shrinking of manufacturing, and particularly of a few sub industries closely related to food production and delivery."

I won't post the rest of it but please read it yourself.

And I'll say it again, the UK's current problems largely stem from Brexit, the expulsion of up to 60,000 HGV drivers, and European suppliers cutting the UK from its routes due to the logistical, financial, and administrative headaches caused by Brexit.  And I'll say it again, mainland Europe is not having these problems (now, not in March 2020 during panic buying at the beginning of the pandemic).

Even that Weatherspoons twunt acknowledges the labour shortage is due to Brexit (and he was one of the biggest proponents of it).

All the Tesco stores here in Pattaya have run out of ice lollys, goodness knows when they will be back ,and to anyone looking in Tesco N Pattaya,sorry we got the last 4 packs,just a bloomin hoarder ive become,on anther note anyone oticed that packs of 10 eggs seem in short supply?

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

All the Tesco stores here in Pattaya have run out of ice lollys, goodness knows when they will be back ,and to anyone looking in Tesco N Pattaya,sorry we got the last 4 packs,just a bloomin hoarder ive become,on anther note anyone oticed that packs of 10 eggs seem in short supply?

Massage shops  sell most things nowadays ,try there!