Phuket Sandbox progressing well says CoC: 19,000 foreigners/ billion baht spent - Russians next target

webfact

21 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I live here and I am currently spending a few days at my favourite resort in Rawai.  I have talked to sandboxers that are on holiday for a few weeks and others that have arrived on a more long term basis. Every one of them are happy to be here, enjoying their relative freedom and are certainly not 'stuck'. There is also no perception that they think they are only wanted here for their money or can go home.

How are they not stuck ? No transport away from Phuket, that sounds like trapped to me

• Like 2

I note:

Russian authorities are prepared to donate 100,000 doses of Sputnik vaccine as booster doses for Phuket people, he said. 

That's very kind of the Russians.

Still - it would be nice to have seen one or two peer reviewed studies that show Sputnik vaccine as a booster for 2xSinovac, or for 2xAstraZeneca, or for Sinovac/AstraZeneca ...   ie. would a Sputnik booster actually be beneficial over other alternatives?

... Not wanting to ignore a gift, but some evidence that it is a useful gift would help give more confidence.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You fail to understand that the Phuket Sandbox is not about revenue; it is about an experiment to pave the way for opening up tourism.

Oh no, I totally understand. What you fail to understand is that Phuket nor any other city that relies so heavily on tourism will be doomed to fail as a major tourist destination with those kind of revenue numbers. 

No matter how many failed schemes and experiments you want to try and pretend were a success. 

Edited by DBath
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, DBath said:

Oh no, I totally understand. What you fail to understand is that Phuket nor any other city that relies so heavily on tourism will be doomed to fail as a major tourist destination with those kind of revenue numbers. 

No matter how many failed schemes and experiments you want to try and pretend were a success. 

I don't think you're writing what you want to convey.

'phuket nor any other city relying on tourism is doomed'.

You still don't understand the principle behind this experiment but that's ok, maybe you're going to get there.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't think you're writing what you want to convey.

'phuket nor any other city relying on tourism is doomed'.

You still don't understand the principle behind this experiment but that's ok, maybe you're going to get there.

Please include the entire context of my quote next time you choose to nitpick me (I expected as much as soon as I saw   your UID, even before reading your post, because “that’s how you roll”). 

Perhaps you can make at least a sad attempt at explaining just what it is I don’t understand?

• Like 2

An expensive experiment. Could easily have been modeled, and will not replicate to any other destinations.

The challenge is that the Thai tourism model is based on high volume/low margin.

Probably not worth turning the lights on in Phuket for fewer than 7 mm?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Entire context is not necessary to show that what you wrote is not what you meant, not nitpicking at all.

Your replied to a post, clearly showing you still don't understand the concept. I have tried quite a few times, others have tried as well to no avail.

Yes, you are nitpicking and you know it. Perhaps you just want to beat a dead horse - by that I mean, continue to go on and on about implying the failed sandbox was a success (I wouldn’t need to explain that part to anyone but you, in order to prevent you from twisting my words). 

I also think it’s funny how you try to imply the majority on here support this ridiculous scheme that was bound to fail from the start. 

• Like 2

Let’s say one of those 3 PCR tests comes back positive and I’m moved to quarantine for two weeks at my own dime, what happens after I’m done with the 14 days of my forced solitary confinement I mean quarantine, They ship me back to my country or I’m free to walk around and travel domestically ?

also what happens if I refuse to download the tracking apps, or arrive to Thailand with non smart phone or leave my smart phone at my room in the hotel or turn off the GPS and bluetooth while I’m out, is there a punishment or consequences or government/ hotel repercussions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBath said:

Yes, you are nitpicking and you know it. Perhaps you just want to beat a dead horse - by that I mean, continue to go on and on about implying the failed sandbox was a success (I wouldn’t need to explain that part to anyone but you, in order to prevent you from twisting my words). 

I also think it’s funny how you try to imply the majority on here support this ridiculous scheme that was bound to fail from the start. 

I'll leave the first part of your post for what it is, but will say I don't care about what the majority on here thinks, nor have I implied anything on the opinion of said majority.

22 hours ago, Kiwi Phil said:

"...To be greeted at the airport by a team of helpers is very good." 

As the airport staff stand there in a long line clapping and welcoming the few tourists that trickle in (they may as well, I mean they probably have nothing better to do), I can't help but wonder if they've bought into all the lies, propaganda and ridiculous claims by those in charge of the entire sandbox scheme.

It's really sad to see people being given so much false hope and even sadder that they might actually believe it.

6 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

How are they not stuck ? No transport away from Phuket, that sounds like trapped to me

Out of the total, 6,672 are still on the island. The rest have mostly traveled onto Bangkok, Surat Thani, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chonburi. The top five countries of origin include USA (2,759), UK (2,712), Israel (2,250), Germany (1,617) and France (1,607).

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1426804471762350083

11 flights out of Phuket today and you can also depart by land.

Edited by Phuketshrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I'll leave the first part of your post for what it is, but will say I don't care about what the majority on here thinks, nor have I implied anything on the opinion of said majority.

I'm not here to laugh at your pain or rub salt in a wound. You obviously have some 'skin in the game', I don't and it will be a cold day in hell before I would drum up support for a government that misleads everyone with their false claims and tries to pretend they actually care for their people, when they clearly don't.

My apologies, it just rubs me raw when people try to paint the sky orange or purple when most of us know it's not and my frustration is more with those who concoct and promote such nonsense than it is with you for drinking the Kool-Aid, so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Had a conversation with a UK sandboxer at the resort that I just stayed at in Yanui. He came for three weeks holiday and is leaving back to the UK tonight. He said that the welcome on arrival in Phuket was really exceptional and he was assisted at every step of the arrival process. He could not praise them highly enough - friendly, efficient , and well organised were his words.

That's nice to hear, but I can't help wondering would that be the case if the staff to tourist ratio were what it would be during high season. Your friend from the UK had the luxury of having people who are hungry for business and much more willing to be attentive at this point.

Nevertheless, kudos to them for trying hard to please a small number of customers under these very difficult circumstances when they could have just as easily not cared.

Every tourist and/or retiree contributes to the Thai economy. But being forced to spend in Phuket before going elsewhere is nothing short of extortion. 

I rent a premises in Nakhon Sawan province and the community where that is, needs the money every bit as much as the Phuket hotels that paid to be in the so-called "Sandbox". But of course, no one in government gets a kickback if my money is spent in a region that is really suffering.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, joskeshake said:

If they would stop the ASQ Quarantaine ,I see plenty more already fully vaccinated people come to Thailand, what happens now is just for the money, I know Thai people who can do quarantaine at home, so why foreigners cannot ? 

Absolutely !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

Some of us actually like Phuket, especially now with no tourist crowds, empty beaches, light road traffic, and some amazing prices.

But if drinking in the bars and restaurants is needed for ones ideal vacation , then Phuket (nor anywhere in Thailand) is not the place

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

Some of us actually like Phuket, especially now with no tourist crowds, empty beaches, light road traffic, and some amazing prices.

But if drinking in the bars and restaurants is needed for ones ideal vacation , then Phuket (nor anywhere in Thailand) is not the place

Let me amplify the last sentence as I thought the 'present time' meaning obvious - but maybe it wasn't. So that last sentence should read:

" ... if drinking in the bars and restaurants is needed for ones ideal vacation , then Phuket (nor anywhere in Thailand) is not the place at present time. " ..

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, lahgon29 said:

I'm guessing you are spot on, mate. Same rules here in Udon Thani, and I'm spoilt for choice over which restaurant to have a drink in.????

My friend who's restaurant is closed in Sakhon nakhon, can open as soon as he and staff take one shot of sinovac and a second round of Astra, which he's been avoiding, but now he's accepted, so he can open. 

• Confused 1

On 8/14/2021 at 7:54 PM, Ralf001 said:

how do other places relying on tourism income view the tourist arrivals other than income ?

Sadly in some cases many but that doesn't mean that it's right. Would you prefer another heading, " Like the excitement of being murdered? Come to Thailand"

• Sad 1