'We don't know if we'll survive': Thailand sex workers left struggling as COVID-19 lockdown drags on

webfact

2 hours ago, rumak said:

I usually try to be a little more diplomatic in my posts...... but can find little to argue with on this rather blunt assessment.  FWIW    things were a little different  twenty years ago ,  but the trend has been downward every succeeding year .    BTW:   (what is SIMPED and CUCKED) ?

Anyway,  the more one "spoils"  people, children,   any group................ it will have the opposite result

of what might be intended  

These definitions come from Google and in the main are what I believe to be my understanding as well.  The use of the words 'SIMP' and 'CUCK', like any slang term, are often expanded beyond a dictionary definition.  Adding 'ed' to each word of course is to describe the past tense form of these people already having transitioned to that label. 

These terms have gained popularity to describe modern millennial submissive men, who bow down to domineering feminists in the West. 

Men from the West bring their indoctrinated submissive belief systems and place too high a value on women here.  

Simp is a slang insult for men who are seen as too attentive and submissive to women, especially out of a failed hope of winning some entitled sexual attention or activity from them. ... The word simp is meant to troll young men for doing anything for a girl to get some action he supposedly deserves.

cuck is a weak, effeminate, unmanly, or inadequate man, who is often dominated by their female partner. It is considered derogatory slang.

It is derived from 'cuckold'.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rumak said:

BTW:   (what is SIMPED and CUCKED) ?

Male supremacist terms for 'inferior men' that let women control them.

The same losers will tell you to 'LIFT more' (weights) and read books written by 'PUAs' (pick up artists).

All a bit sad since Roosh 'HIT THE WALL' (became too old to be sexually attractive) and turned to Christianity.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously, multi millions working in the sex trade?

I very much doubt that as it would entail sex workers on ever street corner, and it's obvious that there are not.

No one actually knows the real number, but it's not as high as some imagine it to be based on a visit to Pattaya Walking Street, or Nana Plaza.

Large areas of Thailand have virtually no nightlife as such, but one needs to actually visit them to know.

Estimates for the number of Thai prostitutes range from 200,000 to 2 million, however, even it is only 200,000 remember the industry is worth 8.1 billion USD. It doesn't just employ prostitutes working in massage houses, beer bars, soapy massage joints, karaoke places, and standard brothels or as loving gfs on Thaifriendly, it also provides employment to restaurants where the girls eat, hotels where they hire rooms, doctors who check for STDs, clothes shops where they buy sexy clothes, not to mention the normal day to to day living expenses the girls pay with prostitution money.

You could probably easily come to 2 million people working directly or indirectly in or living from the sex trade in Thailand.

And these people will come back to do what they do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Estimates for the number of Thai prostitutes range from 200,000 to 2 million, however, even it is only 200,000 remember the industry is worth 8.1 billion USD.

Estimates indeed, as no one actually knows. Have to take the casual meetings with girls that don't normally work in the biz, such as the teenagers that used to solicit businessmen In Siam Square area, into account ( I say used to as that may have changed ).

As for 8.1 billion USD, no one could even guess as to the real amount as after a bar girl leaves the bar she doesn't necessarily charge a standard rate, and anyway it's normally untaxable, so no records.

How about adding farang men that marry bargirls to the list- they buy all sorts of things like cars and houses, so theoretically you can include the car salesmen, the house builders, the restaurants, petrol stations and so on.

However, that makes it potentially over 10 million employed indirectly.

Better to stick with estimates of the girls and boys and ladyboys that are directly involved, and I doubt that is over a million. The vast majority of Thais would never work as prostitutes, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

It actually took years until Thailand was back to normal after the Tsunami, even if they could start rebuilding quickly, tourism did not return immediately. Losses to the Thai economy were 14 billion Baht, or 3 per cent of GDP, depending who you believe.

Obviously the Covid madness will end, and there is already an end in sight. As you'll have heard the UK has lifted the Covid restrictions, Germany will follow suit as its numbers are very low, Sweden has close to 0 deaths per day (despite no masks and no hard lockdowns), in the US vaccination is going well. This pandemic too, like all the previous ones, will disappear.

Are you sure about that? The tsunami only affected the west coast. ALL the rest of Thailand was unaffected.

Why would tourists stop going to Bkk or Pattaya or Chiang Mai?

I didn't notice any difference, but I didn't normally go to <deleted> Phuket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Estimates indeed, as no one actually knows. Have to take the casual meetings with girls that don't normally work in the biz, such as the teenagers that used to solicit businessmen In Siam Square area, into account ( I say used to as that may have changed ).

As for 8.1 billion USD, no one could even guess as to the real amount as after a bar girl leaves the bar she doesn't necessarily charge a standard rate, and anyway it's normally untaxable, so no records.

How about adding farang men that marry bargirls to the list- they buy all sorts of things like cars and houses, so theoretically you can include the car salesmen, the house builders, the restaurants, petrol stations and so on.

However, that makes it potentially over 10 million employed indirectly.

Better to stick with estimates of the girls and boys and ladyboys that are directly involved, and I doubt that is over a million. The vast majority of Thais would never work as prostitutes, IMO.

The vast majority of Thais certainly do not work directly in prostitution, but the vast majority clearly would have no problem to take money from the girls that do. As you mention indeed the money spent by the farang clients both tourists and those that settle should also be considered.

A Thai guy, an insider, has estimated the 8.1 billion USD figure for the Thai Sex trade:

"The calculations were based on numbers thrown out in 2007 by notorious former soapy massage boss Chuwit Kamolvisit, a public figure who has also hosted his own TV show, done a stint in prison, been a member of parliament, and referred to himself as a “super pimp” to the founder of Coconuts.

Chuwit’s estimation took into consideration the number of sex workers in the country, how much the average sex worker makes, and what percentage of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was earned through the sex industry back in 2007.

Based on Chuwit’s estimations, the sex industry was worth THB163 billion (US$5 billion) a decade ago. He said that the top monetary producing establishments selling sex were Thai style massage houses, beer bars, soapy massage joints, karaoke places, and standard brothels, in that order.

He did a simple calculation to arrive at his estimation that THB163 billion was 2 percent of the GDP at that time.

Since the GDP for Thailand is now THB13 trillion, that is how Sanook arrived at the figure of THB260 billion — it’s 2 percent of THB13 trillion."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-sex-industry-estimated-worth-260-billion-baht-according-news-site/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

The vast majority of Thais certainly do not work directly in prostitution, but the vast majority clearly would have no problem to take money from the girls that do. As you mention indeed the money spent by the farang clients both tourists and those that settle should also be considered.

A Thai guy, an insider, has estimated the 8.1 billion USD figure for the Thai Sex trade:

"The calculations were based on numbers thrown out in 2007 by notorious former soapy massage boss Chuwit Kamolvisit, a public figure who has also hosted his own TV show, done a stint in prison, been a member of parliament, and referred to himself as a “super pimp” to the founder of Coconuts.

Chuwit’s estimation took into consideration the number of sex workers in the country, how much the average sex worker makes, and what percentage of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was earned through the sex industry back in 2007.

Based on Chuwit’s estimations, the sex industry was worth THB163 billion (US$5 billion) a decade ago. He said that the top monetary producing establishments selling sex were Thai style massage houses, beer bars, soapy massage joints, karaoke places, and standard brothels, in that order.

He did a simple calculation to arrive at his estimation that THB163 billion was 2 percent of the GDP at that time.

Since the GDP for Thailand is now THB13 trillion, that is how Sanook arrived at the figure of THB260 billion — it’s 2 percent of THB13 trillion."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-sex-industry-estimated-worth-260-billion-baht-according-news-site/

While I have no idea as to the actual figure as opposed to an estimate, it's worth noting that the real earner is the THAI RELATED sex industry, and I, like most farangs would have little experience of it, other than soapy massage places.

IMO it's well known that the WESTERN RELATED sex industry is probably nothing much in comparison, given it's basically Pattaya, Patong and 3 places in Bkk. While there is the usual collection of bars serving farangs in every popular tourist place, like Chaweng and Lamai, they are insignificant, IMO.

NB I don't include Chiang Mai, as the farang bar scene is too pathetic to take seriously, in my experience and opinion.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you sure about that? The tsunami only affected the west coast. ALL the rest of Thailand was unaffected.

Why would tourists stop going to Bkk or Pattaya or Chiang Mai?

I didn't notice any difference, but I didn't normally go to <deleted> Phuket.

The rest was still affected, since those would work seasonally in Phuket and the other affected areas were out of work, income in those areas was down. The total economic growth forecast for Thailand was revised down to 0 from 3 per cent at the time, because tourism as a whole suffered.

It is clear that the tsunami of 26th December 2004 not only directly hit the tourism of all the affected countries, but in some of them, like the Maldives, Thailand, and Malaysia, endangered the overall economies of these states too.

Tourists were afraid to come to Thailand.

Even after they rebuilt: In spite of efforts, the following year showed a 90% drop in hotel bookings, and a general tourism decrease of 26%. This decreased tourism would remain constant over the following 2 years

https://asialasalle2015.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/impacts-on-thailands-tourism-industry-after-2004-indian-ocean-tsunami/

So it took a good 3 years for tourism to fully recover.

Edited by Tanomazu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I have no idea as to the actual figure as opposed to an estimate, it's worth noting that the real earner is the THAI RELATED sex industry, and I, like most farangs would have little experience of it, other than soapy massage places.

IMO it's well known that the WESTERN RELATED sex industry is probably nothing much in comparison, given it's basically Pattaya, Patong and 3 places in Bkk. While there is the usual collection of bars serving farangs in every popular tourist place, like Chaweng and Lamai, they are insignificant, IMO.

I think you're probably right, the money generated byr Thais and Chinese using the sex trade is probably the bigger slice of the pie.

Edited by Tanomazu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Very good point. And the odd Japanese tour bus. Plus a few Koreans.

Yes. The Japanese even had ( have ) their own bar street next to Patpong. Other foreigners could go there, but doubtful most could afford to. I liked to walk through it, as each bar had a gaggle of DDG girls outside touting. Think Pattaya Walking Street, but prettier. They were probably the biggest earners back in the 90s as the Japanese were not stingy with the baht.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. The Japanese even had ( have ) their own bar street next to Patpong. Other foreigners could go there, but doubtful most could afford to. I liked to walk through it, as each bar had a gaggle of DDG girls outside touting. Think Pattaya Walking Street, but prettier. They were probably the biggest earners back in the 90s as the Japanese were not stingy with the baht.

Japanese don't like to mix, Japanese only clubs and bars are all over Thailand and Malaysia.

I guess the smart girls will target Japanese guys because they think they have a lot of money. You get what you pay for.

54 minutes ago, rumak said:

I certainly am not a male supremacist type .   If i have a repair and some lady can do a better job than i can,  i will certainly step aside and hold her lip gloss.   

What ever happened to "strong and sensitive" ?    I'll tell you,  I really get "sensitive"  when a sweet smile from a lady turns into a manipulate weapon  , and is replaced with a pouting or complaining attitude.  Forget it !   

Sure,  they can walk away knowing there are "simps and cucks"  waiting to play their game. 

No problem............. I have done just fine over my years . 

Equal rights sounds great to me.  Isn't that what the feminists demand?   Ha ha!    they would run

away when i told them i expected them to put effort into helping out .    I never understood why they would cry when asked to leave ?   

Here are 2 pics of a real woman !   grew up helping pops.     

DSC05123.jpg

Min in Iceland.jpg

Kudos to you rumak on raising two fine young ladies. Just a wild guess…but they got most of their good looks from mom, am I right? ????

1 hour ago, rumak said:

OMG  ................. you wouldn't believe how many simps and cucks  I have seen following their prized

hens around these past years .     If what I observe in Thailand is indicative of what goes on in the West ....oh boy !    

I DO see it on american movies and television as well.   And let''s not forget the "senstitive" guys who give the dying breed of real men who post here the sad and confused emojis.  Those guys bought into the PC krap because let's face it...... they couldn't score without it.

That’s because it’s the only way they know how to get laid - once every month or so. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is true, Pattaya also had a club/bar, Japanese only, this was back in the 90's.

3 hours ago, aussienam said:

These definitions come from Google and in the main are what I believe to be my understanding as well.  The use of the words 'SIMP' and 'CUCK', like any slang term, are often expanded beyond a dictionary definition.  Adding 'ed' to each word of course is to describe the past tense form of these people already having transitioned to that label. 

These terms have gained popularity to describe modern millennial submissive men, who bow down to domineering feminists in the West. 

Men from the West bring their indoctrinated submissive belief systems and place too high a value on women here.  

Simp is a slang insult for men who are seen as too attentive and submissive to women, especially out of a failed hope of winning some entitled sexual attention or activity from them. ... The word simp is meant to troll young men for doing anything for a girl to get some action he supposedly deserves.

cuck is a weak, effeminate, unmanly, or inadequate man, who is often dominated by their female partner. It is considered derogatory slang.

It is derived from 'cuckold'.  

You’ve described to a ‘T’ what I hate most about western women - particularly those in the US. I’ve lived and worked in every major US city and I can tell you firsthand California/west coast women are probably the worst, followed by the southern princesses, IMO. Then just keep going down the list chronologically until you reach the midwestern girls, who’re at the bottom. 

Edited by DBath
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

Those "two fine ladies"  are the same gal !   I only have the one daughter,  and even prettier photos of her ..... Mom was pretty good looking,   but I ain't bad     ????????????  .

I almost said, “they look like twins”! 

(And I was only kidding about where she got her looks…)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

You could probably easily come to 2 million people working directly or indirectly in or living from the sex trade in Thailand.

And these people will come back to do what they do.

...to keep carrying on fleecing and scamming foreigners/tourists at every chance they get instead of trying to educate themselves, get a proper job, get out of the adult industry and elevate themselves in society.

This is Thailand.

• Haha 1