How practical is an Electric motorbike?

dj230

On 8/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, Orinoco said:

Maybe a few of us have a bit more money than you then , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I very much doubt that, or you would live, as I do,  in a very nice house, with a large  garden and big pool,  with nature all around you, not surrounded by concrete, cars, noise  and more importantly other people you probably don't know  and if you did, wouldn't like  and dont want to know.  

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If wanting a full size e-scooter, all styles; fino / scoopy, wave or sporty look, then DECO has a full line.  I have one, not in photo, bit better specs, higher price, and TBO, unnecessary to buy for most.

Entry level at 36,900, inc VAT, and the 1000w model have removable batteries for the condo / apt dwellers.  Perfect for knocking around town or daily commute.

DECO line up.jpg

The Super Ace looks great. 

It's difficult to judge the size, would it be compared to a Yamaha aerox or Honda pcx? 

25 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The Super Ace looks great. 

It's difficult to judge the size, would it be compared to a Yamaha aerox or Honda pcx? 

Actually they're all kind of big, meaning the platforms are a little wider than I expect (never owned scooter) since use to H. Sonic & Wave.  So your legs are spread a bit further, which for some Thais, would definitely kill a sale.   I almost didn't buy mine (SUSU) because of that, and sales rep noticed my apprehension, so wheeled one out to test ride.  SOLD ???? and all I did was run around the parking lot with it.  That was enough. 

I'm 175cm, not the longest legs, but comfy at stops.  Wife has to extreme tippy toe.  SUSU is their 'largest', but sitting on the rest, and not much difference.  They all feel like they sit 'tall / wide', and not what I was used to.   Use to legs hugging the motor, and straight down when stopped.  Being in a seated / chair like position took a few kms to get use to.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I very much doubt that, or you would live, as I do,  in a very nice house, with a large  garden and big pool,  with nature all around you, not surrounded by concrete, cars, noise  and more importantly other people you probably don't know  and if you did, wouldn't like  and dont want to know.  

Right on mate.

Story telling is so easy on a forum. 

Good night your grace, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

EV battery good for 1200 cycles

So the marketing says.

Do you have any real world figures ? All other manufacturers fall short in their predictions.

OP - check if there is a dealer close by who is able to provide service and spare parts for the model you purchase.

The Deco listed above are seeking dealers on their website so if one is close to you I have no idea.

And if you plan on riding it on the public roads be sure it is able to be licensed and insured. The smaller ones are not.

There are sure to be circuit boards, voltage controllers, etc which will at some point require replacement.

Those who think EV will not need any service - Congratulations ! EV are the first machine since time began which needs zero maintenance.

• Like 2

I was surprised to see several electric bikes popping up in my village. There are now two such shops in the nearby town. I thought these people were poor. More like poorly budgeting again.

These are electric scooters, for kids to have fun, and for old folks to get around. For the old folks it makes sense. But the kids? Come on. Get them on regular bikes and have them exercise. More fascination with useless technology.

Then there's the batteries, which aren't cheap to replace when they no longer hold a charge, which I doubt most of these guys would be willing to do. Expect to see a lot of these dead bikes laying around eventually.

Heh, one day we were out on the farm, when we saw a kid slowly spinning by on the dirt road. They're not too quick, and less so on dirt, thankfully. Driving in with one hand, cell phone in the other. It's quite some distance out there. If it had enough charge to get there, I doubt there's enough to get back. No power out there. Maybe they've got a solar pump.

Thailand lacks quality brand electric motorbikes. Niu would be the only brand to recommend. From local distributors maybe Swag EV.

Anyway they are all made in china. Some with quality components like Bosch motor etc. Some have cheap no-name components.

Like calculations before, they might be more expensive but the savings from regular use for a few year will make it up.

Gasoline won't become cheaper here for sure, electricity still affordable.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Correct but not harley chopper as in your pix go to order it and you will see how much.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/motorbike-billy-i2229214506-s9709491200.html?

Whoa ... yea that's a wee bit more.  Trying to figure out the source, as one vendor lists as 'Huangren Harley', but can't get any info for it.

• Like 1

Just to update the thread, I was fairly new to bangkok/Thailand, ended up not getting an ev 

the condo I am living at has a shuttle to the bts and mall which has everything 

I was surprised, a bunch of condos have ev chargers for cars now, the one I’m living at has a few in their garage. 

also grab taxi is really cheap in Thailand, just 30-100 baht gets me to the further malls if ever go, so it wasn’t worth it for me to get any vehicle. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Range test update, better than expected ... short version:

DECO SUSU model, 3000w / 72v50Ah, < 100 kg, (dog & myself)

10-15 kms daily riding, 25-50 kph, average 30-35 kph

Full charge ... can pull 72 kms out of the battery, with 10-15+ kms reserve (1 bar)

image.png.f7ee56ad647b031bbb2c7470b3a2852e.png

Long winded version.  Yes, I added 1 kms to lower right snap, for those counting,

as wife started charging before it went solid 1 bar.  

Upper left, was night before charging, so I wouldn't forget to take the snap.

Actually surprised, happily, with results, as last test, was disappointed, but had a 

blinking 3 to solid 2 reserve.   Not realizing the bottom half of the gauge was not

counting down as fast.  Just notice total kms, not realizing, 35-40 still remaining.

Going downward, from blinking to solid bar, was easy to track, and got the snap 

within a km or so.  Very accurate readings, +/- 1 km.

Rated (advertised) at 140-150 kms range, although remember the 'owners manual'

stated lower 120ish - something I forgot.  Either way, very happy with the scooter.

Their prime riding conditions are @ 35 kph, straight way, and surely no stop & go,

with load probably in the 65 kg range.   If any load at all, as I've seen some stand up

scooter rated without load ????

On it everyday unless rainy.  Strangely sold the Honda Wave, because we never 

road it, except to get air for tires & petrol, to keep the battery charged up.

They advertise cost to be about ฿5 for full 0-100% charge at home / PEA

and that takes < 2 hrs.   I usually charge up at mid 3rd bar, and takes 1-1.5 hrs.

First, and probably last time, taking to 1 bar.

EV vs ICE - about ฿5 vs ฿90 (?) per 80-90 kms ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, dj230 said:

The Niu bikes aren't too expensive, they're brand new too and I figured' saving on gas/maintenance would make up for some of the costs. I most likely would just be travelling locally (in bangkok, down maybe 25km trip max)

I was going to just get an electric scooter like a "glion" (the one you stand on) but they're almost the same price as an electric motorbike

Yea you can take the battery inside, but must be a pain as you mentioned. 

Wondering about theft too, are motorbikes stolen often here?

Not too often as there are few of them about but you are welcome to view my 28 ????

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Full charge ... can pull 72 kms out of the battery, with 10-15+ kms reserve (1 bar)

Long winded version.  Yes, I added 1 kms to lower right snap, for those counting,

Actually surprised, happily, with results, as last test, was disappointed, but had a 

blinking 3 to solid 2 reserve.   Not realizing the bottom half of the gauge was not

counting down as fast.  Just notice total kms, not realizing, 35-40 still remaining.

stated lower 120ish - something I forgot.  Either way, very happy with the scooter.

Their prime riding conditions are @ 35 kph, straight way, and surely no stop & go,

with load probably in the 65 kg range.   If any load at all, as I've seen some stand up

and that takes < 2 hrs.   I usually charge up at mid 3rd bar, and takes 1-1.5 hrs.

The issue I see here is with max 50 kph you're an obstacle in Thai traffic. Accident just waiting to happen

15 minutes ago, CLW said:

The issue I see here is with max 50 kph you're an obstacle in Thai traffic. Accident just waiting to happen

That's me by choice.  It's rated 80-90 kph, which is accurate, as I've done 87 kph with it.

My driving is < 1 km to the park with the dog, then from there, another 1 kms, up over the RR overpass, my 50 kph, then cruise surfside for a couple kms.   

Make sure it's still there, and to not be one of them folks that lives 'surfside', but never visits.  Besides, might even see something new, different or exciting....or not.  Then head back home.

Evening cruise is hit the small park, perpendicular to surf, to change up the smells for the dog.  Keep it under 50, usually 35 ish, as dog and myself don't use eye protection, and our eyes will dry out.

Very calming ... 

1.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

How much did you pay for this?

In the first eight months of 2021, the number of registered motorcycles in Thailand amounted to approximately 21.7 million units. This was a slight increase compared to the number of registered motorcycles in 2020, which amounted to approximately 21.6 million units.Apr 8, 2022

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

cruise surfside 

Evening cruise is hit the small park, perpendicular to surf

Very calming ... 

1.jpg

PERFECT, ????????????????????

This is exactly what I'd use my EV (motorbike) for once I get one, I'm still, looking for the model I posted earlier with a Green Book.

Cruises down to the beach, 7-Eleven, maybe even soi 6 one afternoon. 

Most rides will be early morning, as the sun is rising, not to much traffic. 

Life is awesome, I ride past Jomtien and Pattaya beaches most mornings on my bicycle or PCX, it's medicinal, I get a natural high (still going to try the ganja when available ????).

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

How much did you pay for this?

฿74k.  SUSU model, being DECO's top spec'd model.  Needed the basket for dog (only model having), and wanted the extra power 3000w vs 1 o 2000w, though have yet to need it.   72v/50Ah battery, so no need to charge at quicker intervals and a bit more range, since rural, will take longer rides.

Other models start @ ฿37k (1000w), up to a very sporting looking one @ ฿66k (2000w).  All spec'd about the same in what ever motor size, just styling a bit different.  1000w motor scooters have removable battery, for those apt / condo living.

https://decogreenenergy.com/index.php/th/product-deco/electric-motorcycles

DECO line up.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 4:13 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, I just woke up, opened my AN page and this popped up.

This is a reportable offence. 

Please be more considerate next time, no more scary photos. 

image.thumb.png.b03720576456b7c8886f75225f953888.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, Doctor Tom said:

God, how I would hate condo living, its restrictions and rules, all intended to fxxk up your life . I own one, but hardly ever use it, even for short breaks, its like being in an open prison that you have to pay for. 

If you think that any condo rules are unfair just ignore them, what's the problem?

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

If you think that any condo rules are unfair just ignore them, what's the problem?

So how do you ignore having to pay each year for a security pass to park your car.  How do you get over closed pools during covid, or whenever management feel like it, or not being allowed to own dogs.  And how do you get over having people above you, below you and to either side? I have none of those issues in my house.