Parents set to receive 2,000 baht per school kid - Prayut uses meeting to espouse "moral" educational philosophy

webfact

I    taught, on a voluntary level, no pay, conversational English to High School students in Nakhon Nowhere for  some time.

The kids were great, happy and eager to learn. The teachers???   those that didnt turn up  in the  morning who werent  at least a bit alcohol affected, sure were after the  loooong lunch breaks, thats  those who bothered to return after lunch.. The curriculum,,,   Thai history, the Monarchy, Thai History, the Monarchy, Thai History, the Monarchy,   oh, and a little bit of   maths.   Now the wifes granddughter has home work,  I watch her   maths now, as before  she was doing it herself, and always got 100%, till  I checked,,,  on one occasion she was marked as  getting  20 sums correct..  7 were in fact wrong. the teacher, when asked about this, claimed she was absent that day, and a trainee marked  the paper..   Granddaughter     refuted this,,  teacher did, Pop,, she said.    Face.....???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes .... the majority and average thai are so stupid when it come to maths.  Buy a drink for 20 baht and hand over a 50 baht note ......  they shuffle around looking for the calculator.   Try 2 x Leo @  60 baht .....      that's really confusing.

I don't know whether it's a communication breakdown from english and maths or it's just they never learnt.

Calculator: the one that makes me laugh is many tellers in banks:

- Give the teller 100Bant and bankbook and indicate deposit.

- Teller instantly puts 100 + into the calculator and puts the 100Baht on the desk

- Now teller does a 100 - into the calculator.

- Now teller checks that the balance is zero - all good - process successful, happy teller. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anant72 said:

The PM threw out his buzzwords as to what this means - discipline, morality, virtue, moral integrity, Thai history, responsibility. 

oh yeah? Do these words include illegal coups, borrowing watches from a dead person, trying to exculpate a hi-so murderer, corruption at all levels, systematic lack of accountability, allowing 10% of the population to own 80% of the land, rewriting Thai history, curtailing free speech in the name of so-called national security? and on and on and on?

Does the PM know the meaning of those words? Poor kids!

No, but many kids do now a days and hopefully they will change the direction in the future. 

19 hours ago, Almer said:

I did something similar  yesterday and ended up with a pocket full of coins!!

yes,  whenever they give me 5 x  one baht coins  in any change I hand it back and tell them I don't want to be carting that rubbish around,  keep it.   They look at you like '     whats the problem  !!     hahahahha

50 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,  whenever they give me 5 x  one baht coins  in any change I hand it back and tell them I don't want to be carting that rubbish around,  keep it.   They look at you like '     whats the problem  !!     hahahahha

'...rubbish...'

16 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well he did issue his Twelve Values not so long ago....and I think these need to memorized and recited each day because, you know, independent thinking.

Haven't these been a thing in Thailand for a long time?

I think the only difference is that things like social media now present an alternative.

You know the thing that really put the nail in the coffin of communism was seeing just how well people lived in capitalist democracies?

16 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I    taught, on a voluntary level, no pay, conversational English to High School students in Nakhon Nowhere for  some time.

The kids were great, happy and eager to learn. The teachers???   those that didnt turn up  in the  morning who werent  at least a bit alcohol affected, sure were after the  loooong lunch breaks, thats  those who bothered to return after lunch.. The curriculum,,,   Thai history, the Monarchy, Thai History, the Monarchy, Thai History, the Monarchy,   oh, and a little bit of   maths.   Now the wifes granddughter has home work,  I watch her   maths now, as before  she was doing it herself, and always got 100%, till  I checked,,,  on one occasion she was marked as  getting  20 sums correct..  7 were in fact wrong. the teacher, when asked about this, claimed she was absent that day, and a trainee marked  the paper..   Granddaughter     refuted this,,  teacher did, Pop,, she said.    Face.....???

Yep that would show there is a problem for sure

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It happened to me the other week in 7/11 completely confused her, I gave her 520 baht my bill was 120 baht

Yes I have had the extra 20 baht note returned to me.... in Tesco, but the girl in the 7-11 seems to be catching on. 

The whole Thai education system isn't fit for purpose. It's run by clueless ignoramuses in brown uniforms whose ignorance is only surpassed by their petty nationalistic arrogance. The really saddening part is that in today's inter-connected world there is absolutely no excuse for the antiquated methodology, universally third-rate materials, and pathetic lack of proper teacher training. Money has nothing to do with it. The poor performance of Thai education is wilful.

B2,000? Take it and shove it. 

• Like 1