COVID-19: Thailand reports 19,851 coronavirus cases

webfact

15 minutes ago, rabas said:

And that number still remains irrelevant to Thailand's horrific Delta spike killing hundreds daily, which is the subject of this thread.  It is a smoky mirror.

I quoted from the worldometer (coronavirus), strange that you would find that irrelevant.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, anchadian said:

This is a screenshot from the CCSA briefing where it clearly says the total is 641,606 doses which is already very high. However some Thai media outlets are saying the total is 860,777 and the first jab is 641,606. Notice the 2nd and 3rd jabs match in all graphics #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1428638547116916738

These vaccination numbers are the biggest joke yet…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

How many extra Thai people are to die of starvation, malnutrition, depression, suicide, etc etc on the next 10 years?……..and not just the elderly. 

Get your crystal ball out I'm dealing with the present, how many do you think?

Edited by Bkk Brian

17 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

…….and it’s still been a success so an excellent decision to proceed. 

How many foreigners have died? Ended up in hospital on ventilators?

How many have had a great holiday away after being locked down for months?

Whats this got to do with foreigners, I'm talking about local Thai people getting infected as well as local expats and their children?

• Like 1

Here's a difficult one. We all know childrens education is of the upmost importance and priority on that should always be given but due to the situation its very difficult.

So a model being suggested by Phuket has just come to my attention. It does not affect me personally because my daughter is in the secondary department and they will remain online however for the younger ones, here is the proposal from the email sent to me from the school, certainly not something to take lightly:

"If a school was to open under the Phuket Schools Sandbox Pilot (Only from Preschool to Year 4) the following would need to apply:

• All people above 18 years old, in the household of the child would need to be fully vaccinated. This would include maids and nannies. Proof of the vaccinations would have to be submitted to the school prior to 1st September.
  • Children would need to be tested for Covid before they enter the school for the first time, and once every two-weeks after. Parents would need to pay for the costs of these tests.
  • If a child in a class tested positive for Covid, that child would need to be taken to hospital (field hospital which is free of charge or a private hospital at parents cost), where they would need to stay for 14 days.
  • All class members in that childs homeroom, parents and all family members in the household would need to spend 14 days in local quarantine (free of charge), or 14 days in an ALQ venue at the cost of the parents. This would include siblings in other classes.
  • If a case is found in any class, that class must close for 14 days.

From the conditions above, this is not something that we think parents should consider without due process and thought, and I know that there are many parents who are not yet vaccinated. I will therefore send out a survey to Preschool to Year 4 parents to gather your thoughts."

9 hours ago, webfact said:

amid a worsening epidemic.

Really? I believe we should be at the peak around this time, if not already peaked. The pattern Delta has shown in other countries is that a Delta wave lasts around 2 months, which would put us at somewhere around the time for the peak to be reached. Or do they expect Delta to behave completely differently here for some reason? Seems like every time I turn around, evidence and science is shunned in preference for panic and powermongering.

Edit: btw, I don't particularly aim that comment at Thailand or its government, but rather what seems to be common worldwide.
I sure hope we've reached the peak! That's my optimism. My pessimism is always placed on government and industry leaders with vested interests, which I think any rational person would understand why.

Edited by Sig
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's a difficult one. We all know childrens education is of the upmost importance and priority on that should always be given but due to the situation its very difficult.

So a model being suggested by Phuket has just come to my attention. It does not affect me personally because my daughter is in the secondary department and they will remain online however for the younger ones, here is the proposal from the email sent to me from the school, certainly not something to take lightly:

"If a school was to open under the Phuket Schools Sandbox Pilot (Only from Preschool to Year 4) the following would need to apply:

• All people above 18 years old, in the household of the child would need to be fully vaccinated. This would include maids and nannies. Proof of the vaccinations would have to be submitted to the school prior to 1st September.
  • Children would need to be tested for Covid before they enter the school for the first time, and once every two-weeks after. Parents would need to pay for the costs of these tests.
  • If a child in a class tested positive for Covid, that child would need to be taken to hospital (field hospital which is free of charge or a private hospital at parents cost), where they would need to stay for 14 days.
  • All class members in that childs homeroom, parents and all family members in the household would need to spend 14 days in local quarantine (free of charge), or 14 days in an ALQ venue at the cost of the parents. This would include siblings in other classes.
  • If a case is found in any class, that class must close for 14 days.

From the conditions above, this is not something that we think parents should consider without due process and thought, and I know that there are many parents who are not yet vaccinated. I will therefore send out a survey to Preschool to Year 4 parents to gather your thoughts."

Hopefully, like Shrewsbury School in Bangkok, the schools will arrange for the parents (and other household members) to be vaccinated.

Also, if a parent cannot get vaccinated, presumably online learning is not an alternative, so all fees would be refunded?

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hopefully, like Shrewsbury School in Bangkok, the schools will arrange for the parents (and other household members) to be vaccinated.

Also, if a parent cannot get vaccinated, presumably online learning is not an alternative, so all fees would be refunded?

Yea it was not just the vaccinations though, although thats a hurdle, it was more about the real possibility that your whole family and whole class including all the childrens parents, thats a lot of people having to go into a forced quarantine if only one child gets infected. The field hospitals here, one of them is quite literally the old Phuket prison and the bars are still up. This even if you are vaccinated. So one infection in a class of 20 would mean 20 children + the parents of those 20 children all carted off.

They get a 40% reduction in fees if they prefer online learning

Edited by Bkk Brian

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea it was not just the vaccinations though, although thats a hurdle, it was more about the real possibility that your whole family and whole class including all the childrens parents, thats a lot of people having to go into a forced quarantine if only one child gets infected. The field hospitals here, one of them is quite literally the old Phuket prison and the bars are still up. This even if you are vaccinated. So one infection in a class of 20 would mean 20 children + the parents of those 20 children all carted off.

Could I ask what school is it? I'd want my kids at school ASAP,  but on the of chance someone else gets infected and we all go to cardboard city then even I would have to say no.

National News Bureau Of Thailand: The Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have discussed approaching more countries to acquire COVID-19 vaccines, looking to meet a target of 100 million doses this year

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1428675980676132870

Edited by anchadian

PRESS RELEASE: Thailand is now allowing fully vaccinated international travellers from 70 countries to visit under the “Sandbox” programme, including Phuket Sandbox, Samui Plus and Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension

https://twitter.com/Tatnews_Org/status/1428679827901530117

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So would the school provide a full timetable of dedicated online classes and face-to-face classes for those who can meet the conditions? 

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Today, the ambulances are still rolling constantly this morning here in Bangkok.  If the downward trend is to be believed then why the reduced number in testing.  I will be taking a break from posting, as my family in the States has just had a covid death.  It was my Brother In-Laws brother, who unfortunately did not believe in being vaccinated just like his wife.  He had lung cancer, which was from working as a ceiling installer (Asbestosis), and developed a very serious case of pneumonia on Sunday as well as other complications, unfortunately the Hospital tried everything they could for him.  He passed away about 2 hours ago, and I just got off of the phone with my sister and family.  Sad day.  Please stay safe folks.

Sorry to hear of your loss.  RIP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

This is the letter that the protesters delivered to the Chinese Embassy today re Sinovac vaccine:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1428660285108150281

Rather muddled and not very effective but very funny. The Chinese ambassador was just at the airport telling Thais that the Chinese are their brothers helping them out with yet another unwanted shipment of Sinovac.

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Ostland Capital, the firm which won the bidding to supply the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) with 8.5 million rapid antigen test kits (ATKs), worth almost 600 million baht, has asked Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to reconsider his instruction to the GPO that the ATKs must be approved by the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-pm-urged-to-review-suspension-of-deal-to-buy-8-5-million-china-made-atks/

Not approved even by the WHO which falls over backwards to promote Chinese interests and withdrawn from the US because the the manufacturer refused to submit data requested by the FDA.  Bid placed by the subsidiary of a Thai real estate company.  What could possibly be wrong with this?

50 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Rather muddled and not very effective but very funny. The Chinese ambassador was just at the airport telling Thais that the Chinese are their brothers helping them out with yet another unwanted shipment of Sinovac.

Unwanted by everyone except those who will profit.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Could I ask what school is it? I'd want my kids at school ASAP,  but on the of chance someone else gets infected and we all go to cardboard city then even I would have to say no.

PM me, better not to say in the forum

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So would the school provide a full timetable of dedicated online classes and face-to-face classes for those who can meet the conditions? 

Don't know, as I said thats the only info I have as its not for my daughters age group but for the younger kids

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Don't know, as I said thats the only info I have as its not for my daughters age group but for the younger kids

Australia now saying toddlers are spreading the virus. US data showing high rates of infection and transmission from children.

• Like 1

Admitting the obvious, test and you will find, pity this was not carried out before the sandbox started to see exactly what the infection rate was then.

"Phuket Provincial Public Health Office reveals the number of Covid-19 cases in the area is now likely to increase due to proactive testing. and quick and easy access to the ATK test kit Reiterate self-protection measures with DMHTTA and vaccination. This will help reduce the severity of symptoms.

Phuket, 20 Aug. 20 - Dr. Kusak Kukiatkul Doctor of Public Health, Phuket Province Disclosing the situation with COVID-19 In the area of Phuket now that There is a tendency to find more infected people. especially in those infected with asymptomatic Or in the group who are in the range of symptoms (green)"

https://www.facebook.com/NewshawkPhuket/posts/2974290869487416

Edited by Bkk Brian

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Australia now saying toddlers are spreading the virus. US data showing high rates of infection and transmission from children.

Sure, I'm aware schools are a breeding ground, I'm not advocating for this, just passing on the info from the school. By the sounds of it the school is not too keen on it either.

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Keep us posted.  It sounds unworkable for me and hopefully will just be for the Phuket sandbox situation.  I can't see all the international schools in Bangkok adopting something so unworkable and, in my opinion, unreasonable!

• Like 1