There are quite a few DYNAMITE writers on this forum

Please Note:

Regarding FEER:  The Review aimed to report and analyse financial, commercial, and industrial developments in the Southeast Asia and Pacific regions with specific emphasis on Hong Kong and China. It gathered the most incisive and provocative commentary in Asia through leaders from every ideological stripe, background, and profession. Articles were selected according to their potential progress toward prosperity, security, and well-being for all Asians. Besides free-lance contributions and viewpoints from professionals, FEER's journalists also traveled around the region reporting from their own perspective with the intention of improving the local economic and political zone.

Also worth a note:  There are people here who read FEER religiously, and still recall it, today.

Dare I say that there are writers here on TV who wrote for FEER...  And, this was not so easy.  Because, the writers on FEER were superior to most others.  Dig up a copy, and you will see.

• Thanks 1

when Johnny Carson asked Valley of the Dolls author Jacqueline Susann on The Tonight Show what she thought of Portnoy’s Complaint, she brought the house down with her reply: “It’s a great book, but I wouldn’t want to shake hands with the author.”

nextavenue dot org

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mahtin said:

when Johnny Carson asked Valley of the Dolls author Jacqueline Susann on The Tonight Show what she thought of Portnoy’s Complaint, she brought the house down with her reply: “It’s a great book, but I wouldn’t want to shake hands with the author.”

nextavenue dot org

Nice retort.

However, you can't compare Dolls to Complaint.

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Sorry. Did you say that you miss the connection?

OK. No problem.  Sorry.  Probably most people outside of the US also do not get the connection.

Frat houses, and fraternities, use designations, such as: Alpha Phi Alpha.  Doing so is moronic, and can sometimes lead to death due to overdoses on alcohol.  But, fraternities insist on this.

You can go to this link in order to learn more about Greek Life.....   https://www.ka.org/

So, anyway, Belushi came to fame, principally due to his role in Animal House.  And, Animal House was short for Frat House.

Here is one more link for you:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Beta_Tau

Zeta Beta Tau

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry. Did you say that you miss the connection?

OK. No problem.  Sorry.  Probably most people outside of the US also do not get the connection.

Frat houses, and fraternities, use designations, such as: Alpha Phi Alpha.  Doing so is moronic, and can sometimes lead to death due to overdoses on alcohol.  But, fraternities insist on this.

You can go to this link in order to learn more about Greek Life.....   https://www.ka.org/

So, anyway, Belushi came to fame, principally due to his role in Animal House.  And, Animal House was short for Frat House.

Here is one more link for you:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Beta_Tau

Zeta Beta Tau

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

9 hours ago, nkg said:

GammaGlobulin, us mere mortals cannot hope to match your gift of creating delicately-crafted prose. Only through mockery born of envy can we salvage our egos in the face of such an overwhelming literary talent as yours ????

That was a bit Tweedledee and Tweedledum.  It could have been written sarcastically, but that would make it all the more true.  Joseph Heller would have been proud.

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Please don't encourage the OP with gems like this, otherwise he will ever end his waffle. 

You don’t need to suffer the slings and arrows, nor do you need to take up arms against them on a forum with the expanse of the prairies yet the complexity of the tropical jungle.

try the Motoring forum

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Speaking of Rothmans...

How many of you guys have spent the night at the Château Frontenac?

You can smoke Rothmans here.

1814919284_Chteau_Frontenac_02.thumb.jpg.aa185d8f624a4fbef0fe1d69bb801d3f.jpg

Nope.

Once spent a night sleeping in Waverly station though if that helps.

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Nope.

Not the same experience.

I prefer the Château.

(The Château is pretty amazing once you get inside, and begin to climb the stairs)

And, on holidays, sometimes, the locals burn the town down. This has happened once or twice. I was there at the time.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Nope.

I don’t think the sleep you get in a railway station counts as a night - more like a few hours.  But Waverley is a better place to wait for morning than St Andrews Square.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who?

A misogynist sexist old white man, amazing he didn't appeal to Swedes.

As someone made to eat swedes as a child I don't like them either

Of course it is anachroisic men who treated women blacks back in teh day saw it as norma and unchallenged teh plantation owners (in my own kith n kin I admot called their slaves negroes and worse and like 12 US Presidents had slaves.

I think if the author were to speak to educated young western women he'll find "Ye olde tropes" are eschewed.

I recall Thai my builder who was excellent and had grasped a smuttering of Angkrit.

Slapperr Dee Hey Khvn Johnny Wats da differens twixt a Girder and a Joist?

I of course replied 

Goethe wrote Faust and Joyce wrote Ulysses., I case my  rest.

30 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

A misogynist sexist old white man, amazing he didn't appeal to Swedes.

As someone made to eat swedes as a child I don't like them either

Of course it is anachroisic men who treated women blacks back in teh day saw it as norma and unchallenged teh plantation owners (in my own kith n kin I admot called their slaves negroes and worse and like 12 US Presidents had slaves.

I think if the author were to speak to educated young western women he'll find "Ye olde tropes" are eschewed.

I recall Thai my builder who was excellent and had grasped a smuttering of Angkrit.

Slapperr Dee Hey Khvn Johnny Wats da differens twixt a Girder and a Joist?

I of course replied 

Goethe wrote Faust and Joyce wrote Ulysses., I case my  rest.

By girder, you of course mean member.

By joist, you of course mean what?

You seem to be comparing the girder to the male member?

And the Angkrit to English?

Nothing remains the same.

Change is all about you.

Your mirror is beside you.

Take a look.

What do you see?

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I just wish that someone would post just one well-crafted paragraph to prove my point that there is one writer here worth his or her salt.

I know you guys all have a secret wish that you will, some day, be in Sweden, and bow down to the Nobel committee.

I know that this is your secret wish.

I know you guys all have a secret wish that you will, some day, be in Sweden, and bow down to the Nobel committee.

You are also trying very hard to that ....it seems ????

1 minute ago, david555 said:

You are also trying very hard to that ....it seems ????

Actually, this is no longer so.

The Nobel is now almost meaningless, or even less than meaningless.

In fact, in some circles, the Nobel might even have a negative image.

The Nobel might not necessarily be completely unbiased.

And, too often, the Nobel might be perceived as being overly political in nature.

This is not a new thing.  The Nobel has never been granted in an unbiased way.

Still, if you are given the Nobel, then just take the money and run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1