England adds Thailand and Montenegro to travel red list

webfact

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It's worth noting that only British and Irish Nationals and those with residence rights will be allowed into the UK and, as already been stated, will be required to enter managed hotel quarantine at a cost of £2,285 plus £1,430 for each additional eligible adult or child over 11.

I noted that in the announcement. I wonder how it impacts the spouses or civil partners of British Nationals.

3 hours ago, raccos21 said:

It is only temporary; once Thailand has 70% of its citizens vaccinated, they will be remove from that red list.

yes but if you read the info from the UK gov website, the numbers cannot be trusted, so will the 70% mean the return to normality, I think not

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, madmen said:

You can go to green countries for 10 days. Still a pain but better than the alternative 

Finding green country that lets you enter from Thailand without quaratine is not easy. 

I was looking myself but it was complicated (UK passport)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Your memory does not serve you well

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42886466

I looked it up, you are right BUT the first patch of land which was the road frontage and the shopping centre was sold a long time before the back of the site. It was converted to a fair ground first then the shopping centre was built. That was well before 2018.

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, samtam said:

I noted that in the announcement. I wonder how it impacts the spouses or civil partners of British Nationals.

Would suppose that those holding a Residence Card could return to the UK and enter quarantine, those who have not have to stay where they are

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beano2274 said:

Would suppose that those holding a Residence Card could enter, those who have not have to stay where they are

Does this mean Visitor and Settlement visas are suspended, or does holding a visa give the holder the right to enter the UK (subject to the same quarantine requirements as UK nationals)?

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Does this mean Visitor and Settlement visas are suspended, or does holding a visa give the holder the right to enter the UK (subject to the same quarantine requirements as UK nationals)?

That is a good point, but am sure only British National or those holding Residence can return (do not quote me on that though), lucky for me am in Germany and my wife has got her EUSS Visa. But could be that if a Thai travelled to say Switzerland first stayed there for 2 weeks then travelled to the UK they would not need any quaratine.

Am sure someone on here will have better info

Edited by beano2274

46 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I posted above what some English people are doing, if the couldn't have got on emerites back to UK they considered flying to Malta then to England

REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVELLERS ARRIVING IN MALTA FROM COUNTRIES/ZONES ON DARK RED LIST

Travel from Dark Red (Travel Ban) countries/zones is only permitted for essential travel in exceptional  circumstances and only with prior authorisation in accordance with the procedure listed below.

•Observe 14 days of mandatory quarantine in a quarantine facility in accordance with the Standards for Quarantine For Travellers against payment of €100 per night inclusive only of breakfast, and a repeat PCR test must be taken on day 11-12 of quarantine.  Additional testing may be requested on arrival and as required by the public health authorities.   

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

4 hours ago, nkg said:

If you leave Thailand and go to a green/amber country for 10 days, you don't have to do hotel quarantine.

So spending 10 days in India, Nigeria or Iraq will make it safe for you to return to the UK ????

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list

If fully vaccinated a trip to India, Goa for example, will save you money and add to your culture when coming back to the UK...

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

The red list is all about new variants - they want to keep them out, hence the hotel quarantine.

If you have normal COVID (regular Delta) it doesn't matter as it's common over there.

As I debated with you on the other thread, that is (hopefully) the logic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raccos21 said:

It is only temporary; once Thailand has 70% of its citizens vaccinated, they will be remove from that red list.

So just a few days then? ????  

Sarcastic.......moi?

Edited by VBF

Also those Thai wives or GFs who were about to apply for a Visa to the UK must be worried, I bet that the place in Trendy will be closed for applications for a while, I remember the German Embassy closing down during this pandemic

18 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That sure sucks for Brits who planned to holiday here, all three of them.

Seriously though, the only thing that surprises me is that Thailand wasn't already moved to the red list during the previous review.

As one of the three, ???? sadly, I have to agree with that - I was surprised too.

And the idea, mooted in this thread, of flying from Thailand to a "green list" country staying 10 days and then on to UK, is fraught too.

What if your chosen "green list" country decides to block arrivals from Thailand? Back to before square one! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

I don't think that it's just going to be Thailand added to the 'red list' wait and see what happens in Europe after the summer holidays! 

All the schools go back within the next couple of weeks let's see what happens then!

I don't think Thailand will be alone, they could have Spain, Italy, France, Greece and Portugal for company.

6 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Not good

They should lower the 2 grand quarantine cost 

no need just get a flight as close as possible to the uk  buy a rubber dingy direction dover ..no quarantine..no tests..no expense..and free hotel   Sorted

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

They should consider people who’ve been waiting to go back 

No option to stay at cheaper hotels, so looks like nothing more than a money-maker 

Wonder if the Taliban will have to pay when they come…

they will be welcomed with open arms and our money  no problems

• Thanks 1