Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine

webfact

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Maybe you should try being less obtuse and read the article in the original post then.

It looks as if we have. It seems that you have not.

You have just made assumptions.

1. That there is a lack of funds.

2. That they are bleating and whinging.

3. That they made a poor decision (They seem to be happy to stay and she met family that she hadn't seen for two years) She is choosing to not spend £3k in order to rush home.

Please, go back to the article and show us mere mortals the bleating and whinging, the confirmation of lack of funds and where you think they have made a poor decision and are suffereing.

18 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

The facts ;

The traffic light system was clear enough .

Thailand was a major contender for status red , many of us were surprised it didn't go red during the last review.

Anybody from the UK travelling to a borderline amber/ red destination was gambling.

In your view do losing gamblers deserve sympathy ?

Where have they asked for sympathy? Please, show me>

Have they complained at all in the article? If so, please show me.

What is clear is that the whinging and bleating is actually coming from the posters on this very forum. I see no such behaviour from the couple featured. Do you?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bosun said:

I really wish I had not read this pathetic story. Truly worthless parasites. I have to ask was this in fact clickbait or did the editors think it had any news value?

How have you come to the conclusion that they are parasites? Who or what is the host from which they are living?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GStewart70 said:

Make your own comment and don't comment for others.

This clown in Phuket is typical of the 'it's everybody's fault but mine' attitude prevalent in society.

Her family and friends can have a whip round.

Oh, the bitterness.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

The question is how long will Thailand be on the red list....Do they have enough money to survive in Thailand?

If you are on a gap year then there will be no great urgency to return to the UK, so best to look at other destinations first.  Secondly, I am sure the bank of Mum and Dad can be called upon at a push.  After all they have probably financed the gap year travelling anyway.  They usually do.

40 minutes ago, lapamita said:

if want it, could do it..... until evening 

and even you could fly any of the next days weeks.... go for example tuekey enjoy the nice weather and the beach and fly with   a 99 usd ticket anywhere to england . only pcr test needed here

cheap hotels  start 10 usd  and cheap food, for those no money  

palm treest are free to look

before i would go to quarantaene i would look any way to go away, where they not look me

even i would never never go thai under this condition,even have apartment and girlfriend there, and even never more as a tourist

Turkey is also a red zone , so you would also need to spend time in a quarantine hotel when you return to the UK

20 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Oh, the bitterness.

Yeah, the bitterness of someone who retired at 51, owns 2 properties, a stocks and shares portfolio, pension, other assets etc.

The bitterness of someone who has traveled to Bangkok, Chang Mai, Roi Et, Koh Chang, Koh Samui, Koh Phanghan, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Pranburi, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, Siem Reap, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Danang, Hue etc.

The bitterness of someone who never has to worry where the next dime is coming from.

I'm bitter, bitter, bitter.

Edited by GStewart70
Edit
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I didn't suffer.

Someone living through the siege of Stalingrad suffered. An orphan send to a Victorian poorhouse suffered. A US Marine that was captured by the Viet Cong at Khe Sanh and sent to the Hanoi Hilton suffered.

And neither have this couple suffered, and that's my point.

This young couple are busy whinging about a minor inconvenience, which is entirely of their own making, and in this case based on their poor decision and lack of funds to bail them out of predicament that poor decision making led them into.

If satire is your goal, you are succeeding admirably.

If it isn't, take a step back and give yourself a good look. What have you become?

No sympathy from us grumpy old expats for those young people who wanted to have some fun after a year long lockdown and who could not know about quarantaine costs because there were none when they left their home country? Great! Nice!

So save your tears for crying about visa rules, mandatory healthcare and rising living costs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Turkey is also a red zone , so you would also need to spend time in a quarantine hotel when you return to the UK

I think it is worth looking at Hong Kong and Singapore, both in the green zone.  It will depend on whether they accept travelers from Thailand without doing quarantine but if they do then it would be a good route back to Blighty. 

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

No sympathy from us grumpy old expats for those young people who wanted to have some fun after a year long lockdown and who could not know about quarantaine costs because there were none when they left their home country? Great! Nice!

So save your tears for crying about visa rules, mandatory healthcare and rising living costs. 

And the price of beer in Nana when it opens back up. God knows what they will want to be charging to make up for lost profits.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, baboon said:

Youngsters and their damn pop music stereo cassettes....????

When I wear lad , we didn’t ‘arve no pop music.

Make our own music we did , with an old comb and some greaseproof paper or a couple of coconut shells and sometime our mam’s washboard. 

Jazz , that’s what we used to call it.

Bliddy Racket , was what everyone else said. ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

When I wear lad , we didn’t ‘arve no pop music.

Make our own music we did , with an old comb and some greaseproof paper or a couple of coconut shells and sometime our mam’s washboard. 

Jazz , that’s what we used to call it.

Bliddy Racket , was what everyone else said. ????

Not sure wearing lads is an appropriate discussion for this forum

• Haha 1

Let's not forget that Thailand has always attracted different levels of tourists.  From those who head to the 5* resorts to be pampered and spoiled rotten,  to the cheap Charlies who go for cheap booze, cheap drugs and cheap sex.  Hard to get too upset for either group really.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What can I say, travelling to Thailand with the amount of Covid cases per day would be concerning for the brightest spark not to come here.

Those that came here are obviously short circuited, in my opinion, selfish for another word, sounds harsh, but I said it, so, they can deal with it, not our problem, weep and whatever, no sympathy from me because you don't travel to hot spots in this climate and you don't trust governments ????

Maybe your short circuit did not make you realize after all that those figures in Thailand were here all time and that only if you test you have them to count…..

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

Did you forget to mention crypto, or was the omission intentional?

One would think with a life of such rich experience, you would be more prone to enjoying the benefits of your labours rather than, working yourself into a froth over an article it seems you havent even read.

It seems your vast assets weigh heavily upon you.

I traveled for work and leisure all over Europe and the US during my self employed life as well.

It's called a work life balance.

Feeling financially secure and free of money worries gives you many options in life.

You worry about your own life noodles, because i'm alright thanks.

Hope everything works out for you the way your hoping.

38 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It looks as if we have. It seems that you have not.

You have just made assumptions.

1. That there is a lack of funds.

2. That they are bleating and whinging.

3. That they made a poor decision (They seem to be happy to stay and she met family that she hadn't seen for two years) She is choosing to not spend £3k in order to rush home.

Please, go back to the article and show us mere mortals the bleating and whinging, the confirmation of lack of funds and where you think they have made a poor decision and are suffereing.

1. She said she will be bankrupt if they have to pay for quarantine. The rest of the article is based on costs and lack of funds, if you bother to read it.

2. They are clearly whinging to the reporter in the article. Obvious when the article is read.

3. She says quarantine will bankrupt here so there is NO CHOICE but for them to stay where they are, which is the entire point of the article, if you have indeed bothered to read it.

Now toddle off and troll elsewhere, there's a good lad.

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Not an endorsement of the effectiveness of the vaccines in the UK.

UK has more cases than Thailand - and both countries have the delta variant.

Not sure what danger a tourist returning from Thailand poses to the UK where community spread exists already.

These measures simply don't make sense

I think it's because of the new variants found here and they not want them in the uk they struggling with the delta already 

6 minutes ago, GStewart70 said:

I traveled for work and leisure all over Europe and the US during my self employed life as well.

It's called a work life balance.

Feeling financially secure and free of money worries gives you many options in life.

You worry about your own life noodles, because i'm alright thanks.

Hope everything works out for you the way your hoping.

Thanks, I appreciate that you have taken the time out here to make assumptions about my lifestyle and misread the the original post 

18 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

1. She said she will be bankrupt if they have to pay for quarantine. The rest of the article is based on costs and lack of funds, if you bother to read it.

2. They are clearly whinging to the reporter in the article. Obvious when the article is read.

3. She says quarantine will bankrupt here so there is NO CHOICE but for them to stay where they are, which is the entire point of the article, if you have indeed bothered to read it.

Now toddle off and troll elsewhere, there's a good lad.

4. I beleive you forgot to mention she says she will be bankrupt

5. She says she will be bankrupt.

Oh, and dont leave.out the part where she is bankrupt.

Toddling off now. 

Edited by n00dle

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

UK has more cases than Thailand - and both countries have the delta variant.

Not sure what danger a tourist returning from Thailand poses to the UK where community spread exists already.

These measures simply don't make sense

are the vaccines used in the uk any less effective than vaccines used in other countires? sources please? according to the WHO it is thailand that is using the chinese vaccine that is less effective against certain variants of covid.

yes, the uk has more cases than thailand, but the uk does far more widespread and effective testing than thailand, so it follows they will find more cases.

Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine.

Why did they come here in the first place, They Knew that there was C 19 in Thailand . If you know that there's a problem in a country where you like to go. Don't stay home stay safe . I suppose one cant fix Stupid.

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And will that be for free? 

She is a University student by the reads of things, so she is probably on some sort of grant, or other social assistance program. As such she will be able to afford to stay in Thailand for quite some time. As most are not paid out in one lump sum, this could explain why she does not have the money immediately.

Ah, to be a young, dumb, and full of c*m travelling student. 

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Then some special comment of her needing £5k in back up funds on top of her travelling funds. Really? Which one of you graduated university with £10k in your bank account? If you had £10k then from where did you get it?

Did the UK do something foolish like the States and forgive student loans which were not used 100% for education?