SURVEY: Jo Ferrari -- An opportunity for change or business as usual?

Scott

SURVEY: Jo Ferrari -- An opportunity for change or business as usual?  

246 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The recent release of a video showing the alleged death of 24 year old Jirapong Thanapat has caused a stir on social media and in the news.   There have long been rumors of extrajudicial killings and extortion in the police force.  Do you believe this case will be pivotal in forcing change in the police force?  Chose the option that best expresses your opinion.

Please feel to leave a comment.

• Like 1

Back when so many members of this forum were celebrating and gloating over the supposed demise of Big Joke, I posted a comment that BJ was probably "making a list and checking it twice" of forum members. Well, Big Joke is back.  This guy will be, too.  And I bet he has a bigger list than Big Joke.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Back when so many members of this forum were celebrating and gloating over the supposed demise of Big Joke, I posted a comment that BJ was probably "making a list and checking it twice" of forum members. Well, Big Joke is back.  This guy will be, too.  And I bet he has a bigger list than Big Joke.

Number 1 on the list is the one who instigated this video and it's release - - be assure the video was solely done for the benifit of self interest, nothing about morals or  exposure of the culture etc. 

When corruption is so endemic it has its own momentum.

It is like trying to stop a super tanker with a captain who has a vested interest in going as fast as possible.

With so many snouts in the trough, where is the desire, the pressure, for change going to come from?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just to be clear before I vote, in the OP, it says "alleged death" - based on prior reports, I'd thought the fella had died. 

Anyway, if he is dead, it looks like the George Floyd defence is in play. A coincidental drug overdose at the time his air supply was being cut off.

Hope it doesn't fly.

This won't change anything in Thailand but it'll be interesting to see if they are brazen enough to give the guy a pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Problem is as far as we know BJ did not do anything wrong.  What he was accused of was blowing the whistle on corruption in Immigration.  Everything he did seemed to be for the good of the people.

Okay.  I'm not commenting on the specific actions of BJ or anyone else in authority. 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

be assure the video was solely done for the benifit of self interest, nothing about morals or  exposure of the culture etc. 

Impossible to diagnose the motivations here. Things operate at too many levels, and most of us have barely got a grasp of one of them.

• Like 1

not much difference between this and that police guy who shot the noodle seller in the South. And look what is happening in that case. Even though he admitted everything and is caught on video shooting the guy, the police are now rallying to concoct some ridiculous story about the police guy breaking up a fight and mistaking the noodle seller for a 'bad guy'. They have mysteriously found witnesses to back up their nonsense so it is all heading in one direction... he gets off without a day spent in jail. Same will probably happen here. Amazing Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Nobody is forced to be a police officer. They know how much they get paid before they apply for the job. And as far as I know many (or all) pay a lot of money to get a low paid job in the police. There is no place for honest people in that job.

Big mouth as usual.  Some are honest and hard working and that includes my brother in law of 15 years.

• Like 1