Thailand's daily COVID-19 cases drop below 20,000 for 8th successive day

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

How can it drop below 20,000 consecutively?  Once it is below 20,000 one day, it cannot drop below 20,000 again the next.  Once it has dropped, it has dropped.

To be fair, I do understand it. They have set a bar at 20,000 a day on average so every time the daily numbers are lower than 20,000, there is a drop from that number which they reset it at 20,000 for the next day, hence ....consecutively. But I reckon that is a tangential approach ????

2 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Lmao. Some of us superficially brave blowhards honestly just dgaf. And you can cry if you want to. It's all the same to us. ????‍♂️

????  Says the guy who flew to Canada to get double-jabbed with Moderna or Pfizer.  Of course you're brave and dgaf!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering how they managed to get so many Pfizer vaccines suddenly. I can remember that Pfizea announced in July that all orders would be come next year because they had no capacity anymore...At that point Pfizer was not ordered by the Government yet. The US has given 1,5 million doses and suddenly there are a lot of jabs available...for schoolkids, the frontline medics, elderly people ..Besides that they announced that there would come 120 million doses this year. Sinovac, Sinopharm, Astra Zeneca (10 million a month???) but nobody says anything about the Moderna..

I am very confused... 

I see a lot of provinces with registration sites open for Pfizer. But I don’t think that necessarily means that there will be enough actual doses to go around in the short term. I recall registering for AZ, having a confirmed appointment and it was cancelled 2 days before due to lack of vaccine.

my understanding is the same as yours, in that currently there are about 1.5 mil Pfizer in the coffers. If registrations exceed that, some people will have to wait.

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Opening up with around 10% fully vaccinated is not being reckless then? Ok. I'm sure you know what your talking about. 

It's not reckless if they are only opening up to the 10% that are fully vaccinated though is it?  The other 90% are still in lockdown - including you - so nothing will be changing on 1 September for you.   That means that 90% (including you) will need to continue to stay indoors, order food for delivery and avoid selfishly looking to break the rules that you have supported.    I cannot fathom what you are complaining about.    Unless you are actually demanding that everything opens for 100% of people including the "not fully vaccinated" like yourself which you then say is reckless.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

????  Says the guy who flew to Canada to get double-jabbed with Moderna or Pfizer.  Of course you're brave and dgaf!

It's true. I took off a couple of weeks ago. But, I just want to clarify - I flew back because the restrictions had made Thailand un-fun. Not specifically to get vaccinated. Now, I am going get vaccinated, but mostly to do that small act to help us put Covid behind us rather than out of any real concern about the pathogen. I do encourage everyone to get vaccinated whether or not they are concerned about Covid personally.

Also the 777 I took on the ICN->YVR leg was full af. Probably like 95%+ full. So sometimes I like to pretend that I am, at least, a little bit brave.

• Haha 1

Thailand to have 140 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines this year

BANGKOK, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Thailand expects to have 140 million doses of coronavirus vaccines this year as the country ramps up inoculation to fight its biggest wave of infections, which shows some signs of easing, a government spokesman said on Sunday.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210829035132-eimv1/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They have to show they are winning the war against COVID so they can cling onto power longer and attempt to stem the growing dissatisfaction among the general public.  

I think we are already beyond any actions that will save this government though.  

The economy is toast whatever they do.

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Numbers down, testing down. Probably see testing going down to 40k and infection numbers dropping accordingly. As for the vaccination number of 915,738 doses in one day I think works out to more than 10 people per second recieving a jab. Correct me if I'm wrong. 86,400 seconds in a day.

As I have previously posted a friend and 155 others where he works recieved their 2nd AZ jab just 3 wks after their first. How many others have had the same thing. A very good way to increase double jabbed numbers rapidly. I hope this is picked up by news outlets. Complete sham that puts the health and longer term protection of the recipients at risk. 

I got my 2nd shot (AZ) Thursday. 3-4 weeks after is standard in Thailand now. News outlets don't have to pick it up, they know.

I don't see how it would put recipients at risk but it could affect long term protection of course. It's always a trade off, quicker protection, shorter long term protection, slower protection, longer protection. I'm glad I got my second shot quickly to protect me now when it's really needed, I'll just have a booster shot early next year.

• Like 1

I think the opening of restaurants next week will cause a major face loss. As soon as staff and customers are tested for covid the numbers will blow up. Or suddenly these tests won't count towards final numbers?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand to have 140 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines this year

BANGKOK, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Thailand expects to have 140 million doses of coronavirus vaccines this year as the country ramps up inoculation to fight its biggest wave of infections, which shows some signs of easing, a government spokesman said on Sunday.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210829035132-eimv1/

They got that from the official CCSA slides yesterday. B.P. did an English version graph but seeing as we can't post that here is the original graphic where I've translated the necessary points. 

Notable they anticipate to stop any new orders of Sinovac in Nov & Dec, great news!

For this month, although they said in late July that they would have 10 million doses, they actually got 13.8

For the remainder of the year, Sept = 15.3m. Oct = 24m. Nov = 23m. and Dec = 23m.

https://www.hfocus.org/content/2021/08/22866

data 29 aug 7.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

I got my 2nd shot (AZ) Thursday. 3-4 weeks after is standard in Thailand now. News outlets don't have to pick it up, they know.

I don't see how it would put recipients at risk but it could affect long term protection of course. It's always a trade off, quicker protection, shorter long term protection, slower protection, longer protection. I'm glad I got my second shot quickly to protect me now when it's really needed, I'll just have a booster shot early next year.

Ok. I didn't know this was the case. It is said though that the longer between shots the longer the protection. By putting them at risk I was meaning the protection will last a shorter period of time. Do you know if any other country in the world is doing this. If the company that makes the stuff says 12 wks for best protection I guess 3 wks would get you the least protection.

10 minutes ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

You are wrong, this is the 7 day average figure so the real tests where about 36k. Almost 1 out of 2 test positive now!

50,941 tests yesterday, 48,487 today. Still around the 40% mark.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

Just now, GStewart70 said:

Another fictional, self pitying and deluded rewriting of history.

After reading the goading, baiting, childish troll posts put out by your chum, we now are fed this garbage.

The UK had a vaccine procurement czar who went out and proactively bought vaccines . Their was an element of risk involved, because the UK did not know if the vaccines would be successful. Luckily, they were and therefore the UK government secured vaxcines as soon as they came to market.

What did Thailand do?

Didn't bother risking a dime booking vaccines early.

Refused India's offer of free AZ.

Didn't bother joining COVAX because it was beneath their dignity.

Ordered some submarines instead.

Thailand was going to try and get a BOGOF special when the world was awash with vaccines.

Do you really believe that vaccines could not have been procured early, if a tiny fraction of Thailand's richest 1% wealth had been deployed?

Don't blame western governments for Thailand's cheap charlie dereliction of duty to it's citizens.

Frankly, I barely care where the numbers are coming from, nor how accurate they are. They do indicate a positive trend, and this is extremely good news for everyone. And it will encourage the extremely timid authorities to open things up, which will put people back to work!

Let us hope this downward trend continues, and let us hope the vaccinations keep rolling in. For the people, for the nation, for all of us! I despise Covid. Get out of our lives. Get out now!

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2