Stuck in UK

Hello,

New to this site so go easy on me please...

I'm a long-term resident of Thailand, have a Thai wife and kids there in Bangkok whom I haven't seen for many months. I now wish to return but am unsure of the requirements for obtaining a non-o visa.

Must I apply at the Thai embassy in the UK or can I apply from a Thai embassy anywhere?

Also, on the Thai embassy site I cannot see it saying I need to show evidence of funds in the UK. I have funds but mostly in a Thai bank account, have next to nothing in the UK here with me, so do I need to supply a UK bank statement? If so then how much do I need to have in a UK account? (If it comes to it I'll have to arrange a transfer from Thailand to the UK).

The other stuff I think I can handle, it's just the financial info I need to know about so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Edward

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can enter the Thailand on a Single Entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (either based on being a parent of a Thai Child(ren) or spouse of a Thai National).

You can apply and submit all the documents online, then send your passport for the Stamp (or go to the Thai Embassy in London).

If I’m not mistaken you have to apply for a Non-Imm Visa in your country of residence (not specifically nationality, but where you can prove you are living and have a legal right to abode). 

You don’t need to prove any money in a UK account for a Visa to Thailand.

I’m not even sure there is a minimum requirement to show for funds (in Thailand or elsewhere) for a Non-Imm O Visa (I may be mistaken here). 

You will need to show proof of funds when applying for an extension of stay. 

(400,000 baht on the day if applying as a parent of Thai children, or 400,000 baht seasoned in a Thai account for at least 2 months if applying as a spouse of a Thai national). 

Additionally: While Thailand remains under ‘Emergency Decree’ (and probably afterwards) you will have some hoops to jump through; i.e. applying for a Certificate of Entry. 

There are lots of threads on the CoE process.  

Very informative and helpful. Thank you very much sir.

36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The main issue with your return is not the visa. It is the Certificate of Entry now required to enter Thailand. There are many recent threads that cover the requirements for getting the COE, some specifically addressing departure from the UK.

Easiest, especially if your funds are in Thailand, may be just to enter Thailand visa exempt (you will currently get an initial 45-day permission to stay). You can then sort out a conversion to a Non O visa (based on Thai spouse) and subsequent extensions at your local immigration office in Thailand.

If he can convert a Visa Exempt entry into a Non-Imm O that’s definitely the best way to go. 
(I didn’t realize that doing so was possible).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Easiest, especially if your funds are in Thailand, may be just to enter Thailand visa exempt (you will currently get an initial 45-day permission to stay). You can then sort out a conversion to a Non O visa (based on Thai spouse) and subsequent extensions at your local immigration office in Thailand.

OP, do what BritTim outlines here.

As added note. If extra time is required to organize funds in Thai bank then you can obtain a 30day extension to your visa exempt entry and after that 60day covid extensions.

OP, do you have Thai bank account in your name only. 

You only need 400k on the day you apply for non O. 

To apply for the 12 month extension you need to show money has been in the bank for 2 months on day you apply.

When you receive your extension stamp (after under consideration period ~one month) you can use the 400k.

Sweet deal.

Good luck. Obviously obtain full vaccination prior to travel to Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54

10 minutes ago, Edward Abbott said:

On another topic, haven't been vaxxed and don't plan to be just yet. As far as I'm aware, having the vaccination is not mandatory to enter the Kingdom but if it becomes so, then that's the route I'll be forced to take.

That was the case but the Public Health Ministry has recently published a guideline that states 

Eligible Thai returnees or foreigners must be 18 years old and above and should have received two doses of COVID-19 vaccines, which have been approved by Thailand or the World Health Organization, at least 14 days before arrival. COVID-19 vaccines approved in Thailand are CoronaVac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Janssen, Moderna, Sinopharm, and Sputnik V.

There's a thread on it here... 

This (along with Thailand being on the Red List) has seriously messed up my plans to visit family in October as even though I've had the 2 shots of Sinopharm, I'm finding it impossible to get a certificate that would prove this... Even the GF only has 1 dose showing on her Mor Phrom app 2 weeks after we had the 2nd shot ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

That was the case but the Public Health Ministry has recently published a guideline that states 

Eligible Thai returnees or foreigners must be 18 years old and above and should have received two doses of COVID-19 vaccines, which have been approved by Thailand or the World Health Organization, at least 14 days before arrival. COVID-19 vaccines approved in Thailand are CoronaVac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Janssen, Moderna, Sinopharm, and Sputnik V.

There's a thread on it here... 

This (along with Thailand being on the Red List) has seriously messed up my plans to visit family in October as even though I've had the 2 shots of Sinopharm, I'm finding it impossible to get a certificate that would prove this... Even the GF only has 1 dose showing on her Mor Phrom app 2 weeks after we had the 2nd shot ???? 

Wow ok was unaware of this. Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get the jab.

34 minutes ago, Edward Abbott said:

On another topic, haven't been vaxxed and don't plan to be just yet. As far as I'm aware, having the vaccination is not mandatory to enter the Kingdom but if it becomes so, then that's the route I'll be forced to take.

Vaccination is only required if using the sandbox option, ASQ in bangkok or ALQ in Pattaya do not require vaccination

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just a note. Have you tried to control your Thai bank? It is near enough

impossible for me with Kasikorn as I would have to have a Thai phone number

in the UK to receive the OTP,  introduced recently.

I would be interested in how others work round this problem.

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Just a note. Have you tried to control your Thai bank? It is near enough

impossible for me with Kasikorn as I would have to have a Thai phone number

in the UK to receive the OTP,  introduced recently.

I would be interested in how others work round this problem.

I have the Kbank app on my phone which works fine here in the UK. My Thai sim is on roaming for that phone. Makes taking care of the family in Bangkok a lot easier than Western Unions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

IMHO, you should. But it's not a requirement for quarantine, just "sandbox" type entry.

Good point, (I confess I was only looking at coming back via Phuket) but I would recommend keeping a close eye on the rules as they might change when/if they "Re Open" Bangkok to Tourists ("Planned" for October). 

I also agree with the recommendation to get vaccinated if it's available to you, just make sure you get your certificate... 

• Like 2

When is the ASQ solitary confinement at travellers cost in pre arranged hotels going to end? Its madness and surely why cant we give an address to stay like other countries do? The government given any target date.. it was going to be October ? High season is going to be dead for another year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

When is the ASQ solitary confinement at travellers cost in pre arranged hotels going to end? Its madness and surely why cant we give an address to stay like other countries do? The government given any target date.. it was going to be October ? High season is going to be dead for another year

I can see them allowing entry for those that are fully vaccinated and then only have to stay in a hotel until the get a negative test result. The first step in that may be a 7 day quarantine for those that are vaccinated that was done for a short period of time in April.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

My own expectation is that ASQ will soon be dropped. However, full vaccination will be required, along with pre departure and arrival tests for Covid-19 (probably one of the rapid antigen tests on arrival). Thailand has abandoned its virus elimination strategy where strict quarantine makes sense. Home isolation is not very effective as it is often flouted but, once you decide to suppress rather than eliminate the virus, having 20 or so infected individuals a week enter is no big deal. I would not be surprised if these major changes take place as early as October for those from countries with low infection rates.

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

My own expectation is that ASQ will soon be dropped. However, full vaccination will be required, along with pre departure and arrival tests for Covid-19 (probably one of the rapid antigen tests on arrival). Thailand has abandoned its virus elimination strategy where strict quarantine makes sense. Home isolation is not very effective as it is often flouted but, once you decide to suppress rather than eliminate the virus, having 20 or so infected individuals a week enter is no big deal. I would not be surprised if these major changes take place as early as October for those from countries with low infection rates.

Hope your right! I have a flight mid October . Really dont want to pay for and suffer quarantine in one of these bangkok hotels 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:10 AM, BritTim said:

Wait a second. Can anyone confirm this? I am under the distinct impression that it isn't possible to upgrade a visa exempt entry to any kind of visa in Thailand. Things could have changed but...

So the OP would need to go to the embassy in London (the consulate in Hull is 'temporarily' closed due to COVID) and get a visa for a stay of more than 75 days.

7 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

Wait a second. Can anyone confirm this? I am under the distinct impression that it isn't possible to upgrade a visa exempt entry to any kind of visa in Thailand. Things could have changed but...

Been possible for years and is often a recommended path to retirement extension.

Visa exempt > Non O > extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by Salerno

2 minutes ago, Captain Jack said:

So the OP would need to go to the embassy in London (the consulate in Hull is 'temporarily' closed due to COVID) and get a visa for a stay of more than 75 days.

It has been possible to apply for a "conversion" visa, under certain conditions, from a visa exempt entry for about a decade.

If planning to enter visa exempt, there is normally to need to visit a Thai embassy/consulate in advance. However, under the current circumstances, you must apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE). The application is done all online, but the Thai embassy ends up processing it.

22 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Been possible for years and is often a recommended path to retirement extension.

Visa exempt > Non O > extension of stay based on retirement.

Good to know. I remember it being a thing for non-imm-B's back in the day. You had to leave Thailand and come back in on a B from elsewhere. KL's embassy was always rammed with people doing it.

Edited by Captain Jack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Jack said:

Good to know. I remember it being a thing for non-imm-B's back in the day.

Least paperwork the better IMO, could be a bit tight timewise getting the bank set up if a person hasn't already got one but easy enough to get a 30 day extension on the visa exempt if required or just throw a few bucks at an agent and get an account set up pronto.

• Confused 1