Direct vaccine deals more advantageous than COVAX: NVI

webfact

They opt out, they opt in, they have an excuse each time.

Honestly the regime can defend any position, which they do often. Twice on Wednesdays.

The SS COVAX has sailed. DId the regime mess it up? Yes, of course. What haven't they messed up?

But time to move on and just buy vaccines, and allow private concerns to buy them as well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe he could also explain why other countries paid less for Shinovax then Thailand did. Direct deals with manufacturers are of course easier to falsify and get kickbacks.

But his reasons are valid, just not the only reasons for Thailand not to join covax.

so how much money did they save? and when would they have had received the vaccins if joined Covax?

because they played with thai people's health over saving some baht!

• Like 2

This poor chap was pushed out to present some sort of story that is supposed to help the Covid Czar & the Sorcerer's Apprentice in their defence of government practices during the vote of no confidence debates. He is merely a fall guy. I hope they have adequately compensated him for allowing his credibility to be trashed.

• Like 1

Look you damn idiot!  Why wasn't you grandstanding a month or so ago when you had zero vaccine except the water the leaders were buying from Chinese. With all the donations coming in to bail Thailand out and joining Covax if one forgot you couldn't buy because you had no money and when you figure it all out Thailand was too far in back of the line to get any! 

This idiot is why the country has the problems it has banking all their marbles on the AZ is the reason you got the problems with the outbreak. Looking back now why don't this guy get a shovel and shovel his <deleted> somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

More nonsense about Sinovac's vaccine being worthless.

but that's thai position, too - that's why booster for medics and why booster coming shortly for elderly and risk group.

With your argumentative attitude your social skills are poor. One short sentence reply is not good to put your case.

don't bother replying, won't read

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

but that's thai position, too - that's why booster for medics and why booster coming shortly for elderly and risk group.

With your argumentative attitude your social skills are poor. One short sentence reply is not good to put your case.

Well, I got tired of posting over and over and over and over and then some about why such posts are actually the worthless ones. And I am not exaggerating. So many times to so little avail

But here I go again. A popular factoid is the claim that Sinovac's vaccine has only 51% effectiveness. Yet that study from Brazil was the lowest of all the results from many studies. Other studies showed far more effectiveness. What's more, the effectiveness in question only referred to how well it stopped symptoms from developing. Not how well it prevented serious cases requiring hospitalization.. Or how well it reduced deaths. Both percentages were considerably higher. In fact, in Brazil a controlled study was done on virtually the entire population of Serrana in Brazil. When vaccinations with the Sinovac vaccination reached 75%, the disease almost disappeared from the city while all around it the disease was raging unabated.

So while the Sinovac vaccine is almost certainly less effective than most if not all of the others, it is extremely unlikely that it is anything close to worthless. What's really at play is the animosity of many posters towards the government of China. The animosity is understandable. But being so self-indulgent as to let it overrule any semblance of objectivity not so much.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, internationalism said:

And to answer your point about the thai position...no..it isn't the Thai position that it's worthless. It's that Coronavac is less effective than mRNA vaccines and that frontline workers need the best protection available not just to protect themselves but to protect others. I agree. And if other vaccines were available in abundance for what it's worth I'd recommend going with them instead of going with Sinovac. But as of now, that isn't the case, is it?

18 hours ago, khunpeer said:

so how much money did they save? and when would they have had received the vaccins if joined Covax?

because they played with thai people's health over saving some baht!

I can't say that but WITHOUT kickbacks it would have been cheaper, of course we dont know if no kickbacks were paid.

Also we don't know when it would have gotten here.

I just stated that these reasons were valid but there were other reasons like kickbacks and stuff not to do it. 

I mean Covax would mean transparant deals.. and they hate that that can be checked.

I was just saying that these arguments were valid, however there were plenty of other arguments far stronger why not to do it. Less chance for kickbacks less shady deals ext. He just used reasons that were valid to shield the possible real reasons.

• Thanks 1