Phuket Sandbox - They said I got COVID ?

Faranguz

Fully vaccinated with two jabs of pfizer (in europe).

The first test at Phuket airport was obviously negative.

Yesterday I went for the second test (extremely painful), and today the call... "you have to go test again, the results are 50% you have it".

50% i have it? What the hell does it mean?

It just sounds impossible to me, I had no contact with other people, mostly I stay in my room due to the rain and I went outside only to go at the beach early in the morning with literally no other people around. A couple of time alone at some coffee shop, respecting all the safety measures.

No physical contact or close to anyone.

And again, I'm fully vaccinated.

They said I have to go again for the test today (another test to pay+taxi).

It doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone end-up in a similar situation during its sandbox period?

• Like 1

What kind of test dod you have? ATK? It sounds like it was positive and they will test with PCR. It is of course quite possibe you are positive, as vaccination does not guarantee you will not be infected. Good luck and I hope it is negative. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DavisH said:

What kind of test dod you have? ATK? It sounds like it was positive and they will test with PCR. It is of course quite possibe you are positive, as vaccination does not guarantee you will not be infected. Good luck and I hope it is negative. 

All tests I've done have been PCR

They explained me better at the center that was "inconclusive" so they needed to test again

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

There's this fallacy which many people seem to believe: I'm vaccinated so I cannot contract the virus.

This was the day 6/7 test?

Probably a false-positive, but you could have contracted the virus during your travel to HKT?

Yes, day 6 test.

I don't think I contracted it during the trip, the first test I had at the airport was negative.

I believe it to be a false positive as you said.

I literally had no close contact with people, I just stay by myself.

So your tested Negative and they don't rush you straight off to Hospital, or a concentration camp. Thats good to know as I will be there next month and my biggest worry is catching it en-route and being hospitalized.  Please keep us posted what happens. 

1 hour ago, samui99 said:

So your tested Negative and they don't rush you straight off to Hospital, or a concentration camp. Thats good to know as I will be there next month and my biggest worry is catching it en-route and being hospitalized.  Please keep us posted what happens. 

He tested negative ?? Then why he has to test again ?? I think you missed the 50% positive part . It's a money making scam as some others say . Nr of tourists way down on what they expected and i geuss the guy that owns the tests has connections . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

To clarify.

It tested "Inconclusive", not positive.

I didn't have to pay again (only the taxi which these days in phuket is crazy).

Not hospitalized, no action taken by anyone.

I believe I can go outside if I wanted, when I asked to the hotel it was more a "up to you" lol

I'll stay in the room though till the results arrive.

Let's see, keep in mind it can happen if you get here so be mentally ready for this scenario (I wasn't).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

He tested negative ?? Then why he has to test again ?? I think you missed the 50% positive part . It's a money making scam as some others say . Nr of tourists way down on what they expected and i geuss the guy that owns the tests has connections . 

hopfully  but i would not take the chance  even vacc people are getting sick   ... and yes it is 50 pct   and its 50 pct you have covid  ...   but i looks like you had your retest   correct ? or ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There's this fallacy which many people seem to believe: I'm vaccinated so I cannot contract the virus.

Probably a false-positive, but you could have contracted the virus during your travel to HKT?

Why not in Phuket it self ?  

This incident happened during Game 6 of the 2020 World Series.  Dodgers 3rd baseman Justin Turner's first PCR test came back as inconclusive.  A second PCR test was performed at a different lab the next day and it came back positive.  Turner was pulled from the 6th inning of the final game of the World Series.  There wasn't time for a 3rd test due to the fact the World Series title was on the line.  

If the next time comes back as positive then if allowed I would ask for a 3rd test at my own expense.  Also, I plan on brining at least 2 rapid Anti-gen test kits with me to have some indication of my Covid status.  Though an anti-gen test is less reliable than a PCR test it is has been a reliable screening tool.  A day before my last PCR test I took a home Rapid Anti-gen test and it came back as Not Detected and so did the PCR test.  

42 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Also, I plan on brining at least 2 rapid Anti-gen test kits with me to have some indication of my Covid status.

I wish I've done that right now.

1 hour ago, Marco100 said:

And what about a nice 14 day quarantine in one of the splendid Hospitals of Phuket ? ????

I think you can just stay at your hotel, not in hospital

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

"There's this fallacy which many people seem to believe: I'm vaccinated so I cannot contract the virus.

Probably a false-positive, but you could have contracted the virus during your travel to HKT?"

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It's also possible from the accounting of pain from the test, that is was not done correctly and resulted in an "inconclusive" result. My buddy had a similar experience on his recent trip to Hawaii, but was allowed to enter after the test was deemed not evidence of infection. 

1 hour ago, Faranguz said:

Also, the test resulted inconclusive was weird respect the others,

He used the same stick two times, in both nostrils. Not sure if it changes something or not.

Extremely painful, while all the other PCR i've done were okay.

I'm not sure about the pain (it shouldn't be painful), but the swabbing needs to be done properly (some parts of the nose have less viral load than others, so only trained people should be doing it. False negatives (beacuse of poor swabbing technique) are more common that false positives. 

This shows the method, in Thai but you get the idea. Or the other below.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

I'm not sure about the pain (it shouldn't be painful), but the swabbing needs to be done properly (some parts of the nose have less viral load than others, so only trained people should be doing it. False negatives (beacuse of poor swabbing technique) are more common that false positives. 

That dude is a savage... doing the swab on himself lol

Yeah the inconclusive one was much rough than this... the one I had yesterday (the re-test) was very soft, felt almost nothing and similar to the video showed.

Now just waiting the call in minutes, let's see if this turns into a nightmare

On 9/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, mtls2005 said:

"We find no difference in viral loads when comparing unvaccinated individuals to those who have vaccine “breakthrough” infections. Furthermore, individuals with vaccine breakthrough infections frequently test positive with viral loads consistent with the ability to shed infectious viruses. Our results, while preliminary, suggest that if vaccinated individuals become infected with the delta variant, they may be sources of SARS-CoV-2 transmission to others."

Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals have similar viral loads in communities with a high prevalence of the SARS-CoV-2 delta variant
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.31.21261387v1.full-text

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, Faranguz said:

To clarify.

It tested "Inconclusive", not positive.

I didn't have to pay again (only the taxi which these days in phuket is crazy).

Not hospitalized, no action taken by anyone.

I believe I can go outside if I wanted, when I asked to the hotel it was more a "up to you" lol

I'll stay in the room though till the results arrive.

Let's see, keep in mind it can happen if you get here so be mentally ready for this scenario (I wasn't).

Thanks for your post .

It again only goes to prove all the purveyors of anti-sandbox misinformation that claim that people in your boat are immediately whisked off to two weeks of living hell in tent hospital do NOT know what they are talking about. Or are just making rubbish up.

Good luck with your results.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, DavisH said:

Your kidding ! The swabs I I have had have been pushed easily double the depth as shown - enough to make me and my partners eyes water and sneeze and bordered on painful !

Later I saw TV coverage of the public in Farangland swabbing themselves while sitting in their cars in Western tests centres and couldnt believe it. 

Thais are rarely over-zealous , but it seems they've all watched very different videos to those posted !

I wish the test centres here showed these to their staff.