Thai PM survives no confidence vote as more anti-government protests planned

webfact

14 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Anyway Prayut days are numbered and will not survive the next election. 

I wouldn't put money on that, he will find ways to disband, and jail as much of any opposition as possible, If convicted of a crime especially the LM law, sedition and the like, then they can't become an MP, whereas he the most emanated sage of the universe has granted for himself an amnesty of any crimes, including Treason. It wasn't HIM who was 'elected' remember more like chosen.

Who are they trying to impress with their stage show?

Prayuth received 208 "Nay" votes; 242 or more would have dethroned him. Me thinks, that the word "comfortable (majority)" is a little stretched in this particular case.

Anyhow, we all know that the musical chair is in full action (not yet full speed though) and Prayuth is a mere place holder. While Anutin and Thammanat (with some Buriram backup) are playing "naughty" I believe the big hat trick will be showcased as of October 2022 - lets hope that I am wrong. 

Whichever way you look at it, Thailand is a beautiful country to spend your retirement, among mostly lovely people but in essence is a failed state in a free fall for a very bumpy short-term ride until there will be some light at the end of the tunnel. As Thailand's neighbours have problems of their own (military junta in Burma, Laos a "de facto" bankrupt colony of China and Cambodia chewing around with their primus-inter-pares for the last 37 years ......... Thailand will get away with some nasty bruises and scratches ..........  

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I wouldn't put money on that, he will find ways to disband, and jail as much of any opposition as possible, If convicted of a crime especially the LM law, sedition and the like, then they can't become an MP, whereas he the most emanated sage of the universe has granted for himself an amnesty of any crimes, including Treason. It wasn't HIM who was 'elected' remember more like chosen.

And that's the way they'd like to keep it. 

There are some here that truly believe they'll be a "next election" - free, fair and open. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The only way to get them out is millions on the streets and not thousands together with a National Strike.  Make them bring the Army out to start shooting people in the full glare of World Publicity and something has to give.

If there were millions on the street protesting, and only protesting with no violence, just standing in everyone's way, would the army actually start shooting people? Surely all the soldiers themselves, or say 99% of them are from ordinary Thai families, and if ordered to shoot would fire above  them.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DBath said:

I would donate all of my 2,000,000+ hotel and airline points for the opportunity to come up behind him, grab his underwear and pull it up over his head!!!

It would have to be in front of his entire cabinet, though. Otherwise, no deal...

You would need asbestos gloves, and a CO2 extinguisher, as his pants are always a blazing fire. take care. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

As much as I hate this government and Prayut, I feel that it’s the wrong time to change him and his ministers at this pivotal junction. Better to have continuity on the vaccination program and the drive to bring down cases. Economic relief package in his plans need to continue. A new PM and government will waste more time to come out with their plans. Anyway Prayut days are numbered and will not survive the next election. 

Election????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, superal said:

Oh , It was an open vote for all to see and not a secret cross in a ballot box vote ? So we will know who was for and against and the people will know how their man voted but not that it really matters as the elected officers are outnumbered by the unelected , what a strange political system , neither democratic or communist  politics nor military . Maybe dictatorship ? which need not be a bad thing as long as the dictator has good intentions for the populus , not corrupt , has open book politics and is trying to reunite the country towards an uninterrupted spell of governance when elected by way of a democratic vote by the people . How is the outside word reacting to Thai politics of today as it has been said the some nations were keeping a close eye on both Thailand's political agenda and currency values. U.S.A. for one .

When is the last time a dictator had good intentions? Any examples? 

On 9/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, webfact said:

Prayuth received 264 votes in favour and 208 against

did he already had 250 assigned as a start ???? (maybe I am confused 555) so he did get 14 extra from the brown nose ones

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When is the last time a dictator had good intentions? Any examples? 

Tito ruled Yugoslavia and fought against Nazi occupation  , Lee Yew who freed Singapore from British rule ,    Frances Rene took over the Seychelles after a coup .  In modern times not too many who did good for their country . You could float the same question about leading prime ministers or presidents many of whom feathered their own nests .      

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

Correct me if Im wrong but I don't think those 250 unelected seats took part in this vote did they?

You are right. However, in case of successful censure, the unelected Senate members would have elected him again as PM right after that.

It's not very motivating to know that even if you now censure the PM, he's sure to be re-elected during the next session.

11 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I suspect his days are numbered , and it wont be parliament that pushes him out.

Unfortunately the new guy may be even worse , dont expect they that conrol Thailand to release their grip on power .

Yep. And not any time in the reasonably distant future either. 

Same as it ever was - regardless.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, Eric Loh said:

As much as I hate this government and Prayut, I feel that it’s the wrong time to change him and his ministers at this pivotal junction. Better to have continuity on the vaccination program and the drive to bring down cases. Economic relief package in his plans need to continue. A new PM and government will waste more time to come out with their plans. Anyway Prayut days are numbered and will not survive the next election. 

I agree his days are numbered , but very much doubt an election will play any part.

• Like 1