Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?

12 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I'll be one of the few on this thread that actually answers the OP's question:

Maybe it is just a UK Embassy thing. Nothing about the app on the Washington, D.C. site.

When I came in last December, they asked about a phone. I just smiled and said "I'm retired so I don't use one." They smiled back and waved me on. Maybe they were envious....

At the ASQ, they gave me paper menus to check off, and the nurse called on the phone for my temp. No issues with not having Line, and I just confirmed my ASQ and they said still no problem. Thailand is always making new COVID rules every day, and most fall by the roadside along with the other trash.

But things might have changed at the airport since last December. Guess I'll find out next month when I return, but like I said, no mention of it on the DC website.

3x Entries with CoE (2 ASQ and 1 Sandbox) - Thailand Plus was checked in Bangkok and Mor Chana checked in Phuket. 

I had to download Mor Chana in Phuket, as I had not already done so. 

In Phuket I’ve had to Open Mor Chana every day for the hotel to ‘scan’ the QR code. 

I’m not sure what would have happened if I said I didn’t have a Smart Phone - There is always the option for someone to go out and buy you a phone while you wait at the airport.

Under the current conditions it would be foolish to try and enter Thailand without a smartphone - it just opens up the door to unnecessary hassle upon arrival. 

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This statement...  Yes, Agreed....   

I would also add ... ‘But they add great degree of convenience' 

For sure, that's why we take the wifes phone on holiday with us.

But to be fair there are a number of different caveats we could add on all of which would all be quite subjective (depending on the users perspective) on the pros and cons of smartphones.

I find mobile phones highly intrusive and the thought of having to use a phone to personally monitor (or provide verification) of my whereabouts is something I personally object to and will resist. Even if the bigger picture is benificial. 

That being said I have installed the Mor Phrom app for the vaccine passport - It works well and it is simple to register. 

If there is another data leak / hack od medical / personal records like we saw yesterday in the news for any of these apps, then I would uninstall and never reinstall anything from the Thai gvernment until they could demonstrate (not say) my data is secure. 

• Like 2

I had a Nokia lowest price model Phone and Test only... was out with guys drinking beers at the local

watering hole in China after golf.., . One of the guys with money falling out of his pockets said why 

don’t you buy a decent phone,.. told him I can leave my phone on the table go take a <deleted> .. come

back phone will still be there... I had a smart phone and kept it in my work laptop bag.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

So did my ASQ, but I didn't and they had absolutely no problem leaving paper menus in the hall for me to fill out, and a sweetheart of a nurse called me everyday to ask my temperature and we'd have a little conversation and I made her giggle and she made my stay that much more tolerable.

So, I refuse to knuckle under to technology and BS bureaucracy. It distances people from each other, and that is a bad thing.

Social distancing is an oxymoron.

But if you prefer the apps and phones claiming to be smart, go for it. That's your decision to make and I respect it; I'm not attacking you, just saying we all have a choice.

So you give people extra work and cost because you don't want to conform. Well done. Would you accept it too if they charged you more because of this ? Or you got your food later.

I agree should be a choice but those without a smart phone should accept extra cost and trouble that comes from it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They do !!!....  I’ve entered Thailand via ASQ twice and Sandbox once - They checked. 

First two times (ASQ) it was Thailand Plus (entering Bangkok).

Third time (Sandbox) it was Mor-chana App (entering Phuket).

The Apps are not checked at departure, but they are definitely checked upon arrival in Thailand (for me at least). 

I wouldn’t advise anyone enter Thailand without a Smart Phone - Buy a cheap one in your home country so you are not caught out. 

What would happen if you arrived without one - There are shops at and near the Airport. 

Thai’s are very flexible, someone would be happy to sell you their phone !!! more realistically, someone would be available to ‘run out’ and purchase a phone from a nearby shop on your behalf. 

If you refuse to buy a smart phone, in effect you are refusing to the 'Terms and Conditions of Entry’ you will be held and returned on the next amiable flight. 

What you posted is total BS…

Just because they checked to see it on your phone does not mean they would have turned you away, if you instead presented them a hardcopy COE.

Stop making things up in the name of conformism. 

• Like 2

Smart phones are a good thing if used with some limits. If your wife or date or whatever is constantly checking her phone either your not fun enough or there is no respect in the relation. Sure some checking of the phone is acceptable but if someone is more busy with their phone then their partner something is wrong and its not the smartphone.

Can I ask how many people here have gone to a hospital and filled in forms to get their vaccine opposed to those that used a smartphone or computer ? I mean that is what the anti smartphone people are asking a step back data management and ease for hospitals and other businesses. Smartphones and computers help providers to easier service you thus saving cost that you would otherwise have to shoulder.

I love my smart phone when im out. Google maps, never easier for on the road. Checking important business emails.. easy can decide if you stay out longer or go home to work. Calling my parents who live oversees through a smartphone and the internet instead of paying huge cost. Banking aps, no longer having to fill in stupid paper form. Damm seems the dinosaurs want to go back to the past of cheques and paper to send money.  

A smartphone is just mobile computer and easy to operate. I really understand why governments use them as data get imputed in a central database by the user instead of collecting papers and then having to input it. Its saves a lot of money.

So sure let alternative methods be available for the dinosaurs but at a cost. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's not Thailand, these Apps are now required in many countries which hold a greater regard for the general population than the rights of an individual. 

Other Airports have a ‘phone counter’ where one can purchase a Smart phone if they don’t have one. 

Ultimately it's simple: You need a smart phone which can show a QR code. 

If this is too much for you, don’t come - it really doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

Now we get to the real motive behind your previous post. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

So you give people extra work and cost because you don't want to conform. Well done. Would you accept it too if they charged you more because of this ? Or you got your food later.

I agree should be a choice but those without a smart phone should accept extra cost and trouble that comes from it. 

It is about freedom. Losing that is the most costly of all.

Conformity was not an attribute of my forefathers, who repelled yours from our land.

No offense intended.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DBath said:

It's not Thailand, these Apps are now required in many countries which hold a greater regard for the general population than the rights of an individual. 

Other Airports have a ‘phone counter’ where one can purchase a Smart phone if they don’t have one. 

If this is too much for you, don’t come - it really doesn’t get any simpler than that. 

Yes, conform or perish through control and threat.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It is about freedom. Losing that is the most costly of all.

Conformity was not an attribute of my forefathers, who repelled yours from our land.

No offense intended.

Not sure where you came from but my forefathers did not invade many countries. Dutch only had a few colonies.

But we are not our forefathers time goes on. People change. I take it you carry a musket or gun around. I mean our forefathers did but now most people dont. You see.. things change. 

But i asked if you were willing to pay extra for the problems you cause by not using a smart phone forcing people to work outside the system and will you take responsibility when it goes wrong. 

Smartphones help setup things easier for businesses and governments alike by doing so they save cost and time. For us things get more efficient. So if you don't wan't to conform do you accept that you might not be able to get into certain places have to pay more or just cant get stuff. Then sure do as you like. But if you expect to have it your way then i find you delusional. 

No offence just a debate.

A

Just now, robblok said:

Not sure where you came from but my forefathers did not invade many countries. Dutch only had a few colonies.

But we are not our forefathers time goes on. People change. I take it you carry a musket or gun around. I mean our forefathers did but now most people dont. You see.. things change. 

But i asked if you were willing to pay extra for the problems you cause by not using a smart phone forcing people to work outside the system and will you take responsibility when it goes wrong. 

Smartphones help setup things easier for businesses and governments alike by doing so they save cost and time. For us things get more efficient. So if you don't wan't to conform do you accept that you might not be able to get into certain places have to pay more or just cant get stuff. Then sure do as you like. But if you expect to have it your way then i find you delusional. 

No offence just a debate.

I actually have no expectations. I will simply stand up for what I believe is right, as I'm sure you will stand up for what you feel is right. 

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can speak to the matter here, otherwise we might enjoy a civil debate. You are one of the few posters here who, even when he disagrees, remains largely civil.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

All I can say is I'm returning to the same ASQ next month and the manager offered me, without my solicitation, a free upgrade two levels of room up. This when they are busy.

I hope to have some nice chats once again with that lovely nurse, on the phone, rather than exchanging cold texts.

The food was good, never an error, and I tipped when I left.

That is human contact, as opposed to distancing by technology and bureaucracy. 

But you should feel free to use your phone and apps.

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

I actually have no expectations. I will simply stand up for what I believe is right, as I'm sure you will stand up for what you feel is right. 

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can speak to the matter here, otherwise we might enjoy a civil debate. You are one of the few posters here who, even when he disagrees, remains largely civil.

I try to but get heated too. Smartphones are just part of our lives and tools that make life easier for the majority of people and businesses. I am of the opinion that if one does not want a smart phone one should be willing to accept the consequences. Just like if one does not want to be vaccinated. 

IF that means you can't visit a country or are not allowed in shops restaurants then its your choice. Its up to governments to set up rules and regulations and as we are not even citizen here we have no rights. I find it unreasonable of people to have it their way and then expect others government and service provider to go through extra trouble for free. Sometimes its not even possible and gives too much of a mess.

Just imagine restaurants where you can select your food from a tablet so it gets into the kitchen system and then prepared and you start demanding a paper version. Then you should just not visit that restaurant. IMHO its either conform or accept the consequences.  I mean some restaurants want you to wear certain clothes. Do you barge in with your T shirt and shorts or just don't visit. 

I mean your visiting a country other then your home country how can you make demands. Follow the rules in the country you visit or face whatever consequences there are.

If you want to protest do it in your home country where you have rights can gather a group and vote for legislation or something like that. You can't expect that in Thailand.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 2:40 AM, nrasmussen said:

I fail to see what age has to do with being "tech minded" or not. To wit, neither of my parents, at 89 and 93 years of age, respectively, have any problems operating computers or smartphones.

You have SMART parents...

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not trying to muddy the waters of debate too much Rob.

I think - given the vast amounts of triple signed paperwork that we all submit for any offical procedure (and this applies to Thais too) that people are very comfortable using the old ways. It think the system is designed to work on paper.....not smart phones. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

All I can say is I'm returning to the same ASQ next month and the manager offered me, without my solicitation, a free upgrade two levels of room up. This when they are busy.

I hope to have some nice chats once again with that lovely nurse, on the phone, rather than exchanging cold texts.

The food was good, never an error, and I tipped when I left.

That is human contact, as opposed to distancing by technology and bureaucracy. 

But you should feel free to use your phone and apps.

I can have plenty of interaction when I am out of an ASQ by wanting interaction in an ASQ your risking employees. Did you ever think why there was no contact between you and staff. Or why they try to minimize it. Sorry your not reasonable these are safety rules. 

That you want a with people after your cleared that is a whole different ball game. 

Your forefathers would go and meet the nurse instead of face to face. It seems that you accept some changes but others you dont. Human contact is what you make of it. Having a smartphone does not mean you can't hangout with people who are like minded. 

But like you I would have called the nurse as I am not in the mood to type long stuff on a smart phone. Unless its just sending my temperature but for other things a call.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I try to but get heated too. Smartphones are just part of our lives and tools that make life easier for the majority of people and businesses. I am of the opinion that if one does not want a smart phone one should be willing to accept the consequences. Just like if one does not want to be vaccinated. 

IF that means you can't visit a country or are not allowed in shops restaurants then its your choice. Its up to governments to set up rules and regulations and as we are not even citizen here we have no rights. I find it unreasonable of people to have it their way and then expect others government and service provider to go through extra trouble for free. Sometimes its not even possible and gives too much of a mess.

Just imagine restaurants where you can select your food from a tablet so it gets into the kitchen system and then prepared and you start demanding a paper version. Then you should just not visit that restaurant. IMHO its either conform or accept the consequences.  I mean some restaurants want you to wear certain clothes. Do you barge in with your T shirt and shorts or just don't visit. 

I mean your visiting a country other then your home country how can you make demands. Follow the rules in the country you visit or face whatever consequences there are.

If you want to protest do it in your home country where you have rights can gather a group and vote for legislation or something like that. You can't expect that in Thailand.

I agree to a great extent.

Masks are useless. I refuse to wear one in the US. But In LOS I go with the flow, for the most part, for the very reason you stated. I'm in someone else's country.

Technology, however, is dividing people and making human contact obsolete. That is a different matter altogether.

The ASQ had forms made up for people w/o Smart phones. Do you really think they sat down and made up new menus for three meals a day, just for me? Nope. Lots of people, for a variety of reasons, don't have smart phones. Are they all selfish?

Another reason I won't have a smart phone is I'm not going to pay $600+/- for a phone that big tech, for all intents and purposes, controls.

I buy a car, I control it. I buy a TV, I remote control it. Smart phones are constantly demanding our attention and compliance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DBath said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Thats just a very odd response DBath....  What ‘motive’ have you imagined ?

The advice to anyone coming to Thailand at the moment, Get a Smart phone which can show your QR code. If someone objects to that measure, they are not agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of Entry, so don’t come - its that simple. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nothing in the law that says foreigners cannot take part in or organise a protest.  It may not be wise and sensible but it is not illegal or outlawed in any way. 

If you broke the law while protesting etc - then you could expect legal consequences - as many Thai people have found out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I can have plenty of interaction when I am out of an ASQ by wanting interaction in an ASQ your risking employees. Did you ever think why there was no contact between you and staff. Or why they try to minimize it. Sorry your not reasonable these are safety rules. 

That you want a with people after your cleared that is a whole different ball game. 

Your forefathers would go and meet the nurse instead of face to face. It seems that you accept some changes but others you dont. Human contact is what you make of it. Having a smartphone does not mean you can't hangout with people who are like minded. 

But like you I would have called the nurse as I am not in the mood to type long stuff on a smart phone. Unless its just sending my temperature but for other things a call.

Unfortunately I cannot respond to your first paragraph as it would, well...

Let's just say I will defend your right to believe what you think is factual, and would ask that you respect my right to believe what I believe about this "virus" and vaccinations.

I'd love to debate further, but it's not going to happen in this venue.

Hmm. I was in Thailand from 

May to July and were 14 days in quarantine. 2 weeks in Bkk and rest in Pattaya. Not once were I asked to have, use or show my app. I have been everywhere. 

So I would say no. And if they ask. Just say you have the new Huawei P40 Pro plus that doesn't support Google apps. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I agree to a great extent.

Masks are useless. I refuse to wear one in the US. But In LOS I go with the flow, for the most part, for the very reason you stated. I'm in someone else's country.

Technology, however, is dividing people and making human contact obsolete. That is a different matter altogether.

The ASQ had forms made up for people w/o Smart phones. Do you really think they sat down and made up new menus for three meals a day, just for me? Nope. Lots of people, for a variety of reasons, don't have smart phones. Are they all selfish?

Another reason I won't have a smart phone is I'm not going to pay $600+/- for a phone that big tech, for all intents and purposes, controls.

I buy a car, I control it. I buy a TV, I remote control it. Smart phones are constantly demanding our attention and compliance.

At least you understand that its smart to wear a mask in Thailand even if you think they don't work.

I don't really understand your point of how it makes human contact obsolete. I mean i either call someone to order something or i write an email or send an app. For me there is no difference in contact at all. I would say my smart phone gives me more human contact with friends and people abroad at minimum effort contact I would otherwise have lost. 

In Thailand i still have friends visiting and talk to them same as i did 20 years ago. 

ASQ hotel i get, but if its for tracking people filling in forms smart phones (and computers are just superior). Things go in a central database (lowers the cost). They can check fields if its filled in correctly with rules before you can submit instead of having faulty paper data that is often hard to read as many people (me included) have a horrible handwriting. So its a lot of more work and cost to do things on paper for many things.

As for the price there are penty of reasonable priced phones not the 600$ you talk about.

You buy a car you need to service it. You have a phone you have to update apps

But really have you used a smart phone. I almost never have to update anything and when i do its a few clicks and done. 

Anyway just agree to disagree.

• Like 1