3rd vaxx for foreigners

Dario

I'm all for a booster when its available.  I finally got my first Pfeizer Sunday in Khon Kaen.

But I saw this and other news about boosters may be unnecessary at this time (unless its Sinovac).

it's good news as its almost impossible to even get fully vaccinated with a quality vaccine in the first place. 

Many expats still haven't been vaccinated.

"Data shows Covid booster shots are ‘not appropriate’ at this time, U.S. and international scientists conclude"

PUBLISHED MON, SEP 13 20219:00 AM EDTUPDATED MON, SEP 13 202111:26 AM EDT

6 hours ago, Tony125 said:

If you have had Covid you are still recomened to have a shot after recovering . My friends in USA and wife's father and gran-father both recovered from Covid but were given shots.  Natural immunity fades after 90 days and that why the shots are recomended.

I have a friend in the USA that him and his wife contracted COVID in March last year.  Then late December both him and his wife contracted COVID for a second time.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dario said:

Thank you very much everyone for your contributions. I understand that at this moment (in Thailand) we don't have to think about a booster shot. By the way, Israel is busy administering a booster shots to everyone.

Vaccine experts: COVID-19 booster shots aren't needed now

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vaccine-experts-covid-19-booster-140706440.html

18 leading scientists, including 2 outgoing FDA officials, say COVID-19 booster shots lack evidence and shouldn't yet be given to the general public

https://www.yahoo.com/news/18-leading-scientists-including-2-142053541.html

7 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Why would it be wise to get a non mRNA vaccine after already having had 2, they trialed it in Israel with 3 Pfizer shots and it apparently is working very well !!! 

simply because Pfizer is more remote to foreigners than privately booked Moderna, Sinopharm for 777b.

Foreigners in thailand got pfizer (or french got johnsson), just because it was donated to thailand.

Japan has also donated over 1mln Astra Zeneca, thai government felt obliged to give small part to expats.

Don't compare israel to thailand, different planets in planning vax program. Israel has choice, thailand very limited

Edited by internationalism

I had two Sinovac jabs back in April, so I checked some latest research into boosters on top of that. Of course there won’t be any real world efficacy data yet, but studies on antibody levels in Turkey showed a 3rd Sinovac created a better immune response than a Pfizer booster, and another study in China showed a Cansino (normal single jab) booster to raise antibodies 80 times! The closest I could get my hands on back in Europe was the normally single shot J&J. So I just had that one before going back to Thailand in a few days. 6 hours after the booster I started shivering and another two hours later I was running a 41.5 degree fever. Three hours later back down to 38 and the next morning back to my normal 36.5. Just some linger muscle pains for a day more. I guess the booster did something! I never felt anything after my two initial Sinovac jabs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I had two Sinovac jabs back in April, so I checked some latest research into boosters on top of that. Of course there won’t be any real world efficacy data yet, but studies on antibody levels in Turkey showed a 3rd Sinovac created a better immune response than a Pfizer booster, and another study in China showed a Cansino (normal single jab) booster to raise antibodies 80 times! The closest I could get my hands on back in Europe was the normally single shot J&J. So I just had that one before going back to Thailand in a few days. 6 hours after the booster I started shivering and another two hours later I was running a 41.5 degree fever. Three hours later back down to 38 and the next morning back to my normal 36.5. Just some linger muscle pains for a day more. I guess the booster did something! I never felt anything after my two initial Sinovac jabs. 

Well, 41.5º was a close call. Thank God, you're still here.

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Well, not that this has been definitively proven yet but the argument that has been put forward for it, is that while the mRNA vaccines are good at eliciting an antibody response, they are not as good at inducing a T cell response as viral vector vaccines.

Since there are no firmly-established correlates of protection for antibodies yet and T cells are known to be an important part of the immune system (especially for longer-term immunity) some virologists feel that a combination of mRNA and viral vector vaccines might give you a better all-round level of protection.

See info from the Nature Magazine article below:

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines

I recently saw a report from the UK that suggests that once you have had the two shots of vaccine,  if you receive exposure to Covid and would likely receive mild or no symptoms, you receive better protection than a third shots do also to the variants.

The report is presented by a doctor and is on utube it goes for about 20 minutes and to a non medical person makes sense.

Cannot remember the presenters name but easy to find.

49 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I recently saw a report from the UK that suggests that once you have had the two shots of vaccine,  if you receive exposure to Covid and would likely receive mild or no symptoms, you receive better protection than a third shots do also to the variants.

The report is presented by a doctor and is on utube it goes for about 20 minutes and to a non medical person makes sense.

That may be but latest from the U.K. :

Covid booster vaccine rollout to begin across UK next week https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58550833

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

An argument against governments enacting 3rd booster shots is the fact that billions of people world wide don’t yet have access to the vaccines.

Leaving the virus with billions of opportunities to mutate is probably not a very good idea.

Putting aside the moral arguments, the ‘self interest’ case to donate vaccines to the billions of unvaccinated is compelling.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

If that were true why would they give a 3rd booster? thai logic?

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That website has been useless for me, still heard nothing, if in Pattaya keep an eye on Bangkok Hospital Pattaya website or facebook, they are vaccinating foreigners daily

If I was anywhere near those centres I would also be looking for a third booster by now.

I'm in the far north, about 10kms from the Laos border. Much too far away from the Ministry of Health's comfort zone to be included in their plans,

I wonder if they have a vaccination program for foreigners in Vientiane?

according to simon43 from laos, vax to expats was offered in the spring.

You won't be able to cross to Laos and came back without quarantine/sand box.

Moderna from private hospitals 1650 per shot. Probably in some 10 hospitals in the whole country. End of year.

Try to register in every possible place and travel anywhere there is a first offer

Edited by internationalism

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That may be but latest from the U.K. :

Covid booster vaccine rollout to begin across UK next week https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58550833

I wasn’t suggesting that it had been adopted as a policy and in any event I don’t know how you could put it into effect.

It was really about antibodies and the effect of being exposed to Covid after being vaccinated.

Its still on YouTube and presented by Dr John Campbell

For me as a lay person I found it easy to understand and very enlightening.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If that were true why would they give a 3rd booster? thai logic?

Well the first response is how would you expose people to Covid?

Its got nothing to do with Thailand or their logic it’s from the UK it’s research into antibodies and the effects of being exposed to Covid after being vaccinated twice there is no suggestion that you shouldn’t receive a booster and I didn’t state that.

Its presented by Dr John Campbell on YouTube and it’s still there.

As a non medical layperson I found it quite informative but then I am always ready to listen and learn.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I wasn’t suggesting that it had been adopted as a policy and in any event I don’t know how you could put it into effect.

It was really about antibodies and the effect of being exposed to Covid after being vaccinated.

Its still on YouTube and presented by Dr John Campbell

For me as a lay person I found it easy to understand and very enlightening.

Yes, I wasn’t suggesting that your post was incorrect or misleading only that despite this information the U.K. government (rightly or wrongly)  has already decided to go ahead with a ( 3rd ) booster shot.

I looked for the YouTube video by DrJohn ( posted two weeks ago, 14.53 mins long) and agree , he does explain it very clearly and makes it easily understood for the layman. The points he makes are quite clear:

Herd immunity has now gone out the window.

Antibodies achieved by recovering from the virus far outweigh antibodies achieved by vaccination.

Everyone will contract the virus at some stage whether vaccinated or not.

Serious illness will be vastly reduced by those vaccinated with 2 doses.

Although he doesn’t say as such, reading between the lines of the above statements I feel he is hinting that with 2 doses of the vaccine we will still contract the virus and a booster is unnecessary.

Indeed , it has been said for a while now, by various experts, that once we achieve the goal of vaccinate the population ( those who comply obviously ) with 2 doses then a yearly booster will become the norm ( as in the flu ) ,

available for those who feel they need it while those who didn’t vaccinate or feel a booster unnecessary can boost their immune systems with Vit D , Zinc or use the more controversial remedies.

23 hours ago, Tony125 said:

If you have had Covid you are still recomened to have a shot after recovering . My friends in USA and wife's father and gran-father both recovered from Covid but were given shots.  Natural immunity fades after 90 days and that why the shots are recomended.

Try googling “Immunity following Covid”

Examples:

Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19 ...
The immune systems of more than 95% of people who recovered from COVID-19 had durable memories of the virus up to eight months after infection. The results provide hope that people receiving SARS-CoV-2 vaccines will develop similar lasting immune memories after vaccination. Colorized scanning electron micrograph of a cell, isolated from a ...

Study Suggests Lasting Immunity After COVID-19, With a Big ...

Immunity to a viral illness comes both from humoral and cellular immunity. This study showed a 50-fold increase of antibody titer, or 1.5 log units. The study did not assess cellular immunity. Additionally, the study did not show a clinical benefit, since none of the subjects developed a second COVID infection, either clinical or subclinical.

Good news: Mild COVID-19 induces lasting antibody ...

Good news: Mild COVID-19 induces lasting antibody protection. ... and mainstream media interpreted that to mean that immunity was not long-lived," said senior author Ali Ellebedy, PhD, an associate professor of pathology & immunology, of medicine and of molecular microbiology. "But that's a misinterpretation of the data.

What immunity did having COVID give me? Do I need a ...

Lab studies suggest that protection following a case of COVID-19 begins to wane slightly after about three months, but can last for up to 10 months, although there's a range to that, Wherry said. "We see some people with mild COVID infections where their immunity wanes more quickly over time, or they don't have as much coverage, and that ...
  • Like 1

I just read an interesting article in the Swiss news tabloid "Blick". Unfortunately it is written in German. The Biontech founders  Özlem Türeci und Ugur Sahin answer to the question if a booster vaccination is now already needed. They have the following answer: "Without a booster we will not be able to control Delta good enough. It is expected that within the coming weeks more study data will become available which will statistically prove how important the booster is."

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:02 PM, paul1804 said:

If & when you have had 2 Pfizer shots it is now recommended that your third booster shot also be Pfizer but Moderna is also an 

Why would it be wise to get a non mRNA vaccine after already having had 2, they trialed it in Israel with 3 Pfizer shots and it apparently is working very well !!! 

I had my 2nd Pfizer shot today  in Phayao province.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

An argument against governments enacting 3rd booster shots is the fact that billions of people world wide don’t yet have access to the vaccines.

Leaving the virus with billions of opportunities to mutate is probably not a very good idea.

Putting aside the moral arguments, the ‘self interest’ case to donate vaccines to the billions of unvaccinated is compelling.

It's a real quandary. I'm skeptical that increased capacity for making mRNA vaccines next year will resolve the severe shortfall we have now. Recently Bill Gates advocated increasing capacity so that US capacity would be sufficient to make enough for the US population in 100 days, then the world in another 100 days, when the next one comes along. Anyway, for now there is no good solution. It would take 6 months, at least,  to add needed capacity in the US to be able to reach the 100-day goal for the US population.

"Vaccine advisers to the US Food and Drug Administration rejected Pfizer’s application to add a third, booster dose of its coronavirus vaccine to the two-dose regimen. 

Members of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee rejected the application by a vote of 16 to 2. "

I recently got my second Pfizer shot and feel reassured that I am protected from getting sick from Covid 19.  Scientists require data(in most cases lots and lost of data) to make a recommendation.  President Uncle Joe has been pushing 3 shots and has even set September 13 as the start date of booster shots.  I wonder what Uncle Joe does now because he always said "follow the science and the recommendations of scientists"??