3rd vaxx for foreigners

Dario

At this point in time, the US CDC is not recommending a booster -- at least not yet.   For people with immunocompromised conditions should get a booster.  

With Thailand just getting a good start, I think the need for or against will be much clearer by the time a booster is recommended.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/13/1036600360/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot

• Like 2

Got 2 Pfizer shots.

Paid for Moderna already months ago. Will take that Moderna Booster in December or January.  My second (half paid) Moderna jab I will donate to some friend/family.

In general you will see in November/December there will be plenty Vaccine available it will be like in European countries that Thailand has too many vaccine. Then you can get even an Astra shot if you want. 

• Thanks 1

Still waiting on Expatvac for my first vax. 

I guess they're hoping my advanced age and multiple health problems will kill me before they have to vaccinate beyond the big cities. So much for prioritizing the vulnerable.

I have paid for a Moderna course which may happen next year if I live that long.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Don’t forget…..if you’ve already had Covid and recovered, you now have natural immunity which is even way more effective than being vaxxed. 
   They should not vaxx people who are recovered from Covid.  They should save the vaccines for people who have never had Covid. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mackayae said:

Where in Bangkok can you get a Pfizer vaccination ?

Have you been sleeeping for last 2 months? There have been many posts and reports of both Farangs and Thai getting Pfizer shots from supply that was  donated by the US Government.  More to arrive from purchases after October. Type "Pfizer Vaccine " into search bar and clik. Pfizer has been given out in Bang Sue for 75 and over walk-in's and for 60--74 by appointments. Has also been given out at various hospitals in Pattaya.

29 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Don’t forget…..if you’ve already had Covid and recovered, you now have natural immunity which is even way more effective than being vaxxed. 
   They should not vaxx people who are recovered from Covid.  They should save the vaccines for people who have never had Covid. 

If you have had Covid you are still recomened to have a shot after recovering . My friends in USA and wife's father and gran-father both recovered from Covid but were given shots.  Natural immunity fades after 90 days and that why the shots are recomended.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scott said:

At this point in time, the US CDC is not recommending a booster -- at least not yet.   For people with immunocompromised conditions should get a booster.  

With Thailand just getting a good start, I think the need for or against will be much clearer by the time a booster is recommended.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/13/1036600360/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot

The UK are planning Pfizer booster 6 months after the 2nd jab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Still waiting on Expatvac for my first vax. 

I guess they're hoping my advanced age and multiple health problems will kill me before they have to vaccinate beyond the big cities. So much for prioritizing the vulnerable.

I have paid for a Moderna course which may happen next year if I live that long.

That website has been useless for me, still heard nothing, if in Pattaya keep an eye on Bangkok Hospital Pattaya website or facebook, they are vaccinating foreigners daily

• Like 1

I think I recently saw the Thai government is planning a third shot of, I believe, AZ in October for those who got 2 shots of Sinovac, which my partner and I did.  We'll see if that actually happens.  Meanwhile, we contracted for Moderna boosters several months ago but have no idea if or when they will ever arrive.  

21 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I know  one guy paid for Moderna  then received 2 free Pfiizer shots. He plans to use Moderna as his booster

If & when you have had 2 Pfizer shots it is now recommended that your third booster shot also be Pfizer but Moderna is also an 

20 hours ago, internationalism said:

because pfizer is mrna it would be wise to get not-mrna. 

The problem is that's very unlikely thailand will do booster for foreigners soon, so the only option is moderna.

But I can imagine situation, that hospitals would refuse to give moderna as a booster to pfizer and would give you money back.

Why would it be wise to get a non mRNA vaccine after already having had 2, they trialed it in Israel with 3 Pfizer shots and it apparently is working very well !!! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Why would it be wise to get a non mRNA vaccine after already having had 2, they trialed it in Israel with 3 Pfizer shots and it apparently is working very well !!! 

Well, not that this has been definitively proven yet but the argument that has been put forward for it, is that while the mRNA vaccines are good at eliciting an antibody response, they are not as good at inducing a T cell response as viral vector vaccines.

Since there are no firmly-established correlates of protection for antibodies yet and T cells are known to be an important part of the immune system (especially for longer-term immunity) some virologists feel that a combination of mRNA and viral vector vaccines might give you a better all-round level of protection.

See info from the Nature Magazine article below:

[Viral vector vaccines] have a good track record of inducing strong T-cell responses, says Sander, whereas vaccines using messenger RNA, such as Pfizer’s, have proved “exceptionally good” at inducing high levels of antibodies.

Mixing an mRNA vaccine and an adenovirus-based one could therefore provide “the best of two worlds”, Sander explains.

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The U.S. is a good six months ahead on Pfizer, with well over a hundred million doses administered.

Plenty of time to wait for the best options for a booster, especially given the OP has yet to even get a second dose.

I'm all for planning ahead, but in this case better to wait.

Even if you could find something booster-ish, arranging the best time may not be possible?

Hopefully in 6 - 8 months private hospitals are up to speed, and given that the regime has committed to Pfizer, there will probably be a booster program rolling out.

Maybe by the time we need boosters, Pfizer will have an improved version of their vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much everyone for your contributions. I understand that at this moment (in Thailand) we don't have to think about a booster shot. By the way, Israel is busy administering a booster shots to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

will get second Pfizer next week and than book a booster 3 months from now prn. at a private hospital

We might not be needing a 3rd dose, just keep your ears open and then if needed, can book the 3rd dose as there will be plenty of vaccines available by then, like the annual influenza shots.

• Haha 1

Tuesday 18:00 Thai time.

The UK committee studying boosters has just recommended that after two Astrazeneca shots the best booster would be Pfizer.  If not available, Moderna or even half a Moderna would be suitable.

Go to BBC News TV for the full press briefing.

Now waiting for the government to see if it accepts the committee's findings.

23 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I know  one guy paid for Moderna  then received 2 free Pfiizer shots. He plans to use Moderna as his booster

I talked to my medical counsellor (a free service if you have UHC insurance). she said most people don't need the third jab unless immunocompromised due to chemo therapy, etc. 

Real world medical encounter of 32,000 people in the USA shows Pfizer is only 76% effective against emergency room visits. 
https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-vaccines-effective-against-delta-variant-how-pfizer-moderna-and-jj-compare/