How long do high-rise concrete structures last?

6 minutes ago, Delight said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Water is heavy but concrete is heavier.

Your point being?

Well, you seem to be unhappy with water being in a condo building because of it's weight yet you're happy with the weight of the much heavier concrete being there.   What was your point about water being heavy?

26 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, you seem to be unhappy with water being in a condo building because of it's weight yet you're happy with the weight of the much heavier concrete being there.   What was your point about water being heavy?

Concrete is structural, water is not

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kwonitoy said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Concrete is structural, water is not

The presence of a pool is taken into consideration during the structural design of a building isn't it?

By the way, my original comment was a little tongue in cheek.

2 hours ago, Delight said:

I would never purchase a condo with a high level pool.

The building will move. Just a little bit. Water is heavy. The concrete base  could crack.

Hmmm... a cubic metre of concrete weighs 2.5 times what a cubic metre of water weighs. Without leaks, high story pool is no issue whatsoever.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 5:58 PM, jazzdog32095 said:

No cellphone in 10 years. I intend to bi-pass the smart phone for the soon to be mandatory micro-chip embedded in the frontal lobe.  

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Well some of those condo structures at Stonehenge are still standing, as well as a load of old Greek, Roman and Egyptian ones.

Stonehenge was extensively rebuilt in about 1902. Many of the fallen stone pillars were set upright in concrete. So what you see today is not that old,

Greek, Roman and Egyptian structures are built of stone and suffer only minor earthquake damage.

The Miami collapse was mostly design failure then maintance followed by construction defects. Rebar exposed to water and oxygen expands 8x its' diameter blowing away surrounding concrete. It was built in 1988 so 30 years would be the time for a complete review of any structure similar. Personally I would never consider living in a 20 year old condo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Hmmm... a cubic metre of concrete weighs 2.5 times what a cubic metre of water weighs. Without leaks, high story pool is no issue whatsoever.

You wouldn't put an extra 100 tonne tub of concrete on top of your building but it's OK for water.

• Haha 2

Most condo swimming pools are very shallow so I think the weight is not that significant. Leaks from a saltwater pool could be an issue though.

I believe the main cause of the Miami collapse was saltwater corrosion from it being near to the sea. So that shouldn't be an issue for Bangkok condos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in a 25 year old condo, with a beautiful pool buy before the days of space saving, ie,

the pool is on the ground. On checking the concrete pillars & structural beams the reo is nearly twice the size of present day Hi rises & the concrete (in the structural pillars  is close to undrillable.

All the fill in walls are only the small bricks but totally non load bearing & just to keep the weather & neighbours out.

It will last another 50 years for sure without an earthquake, God forbid

• Like 2