How long do high-rise concrete structures last?

12 hours ago, Delight said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The weight of my initial comment was tongue-in-cheek, as I have stated, but, as you want to carry on with serious allegations about this, and you say that it has happened here in Thailand, I imagine you also have an example of what is being discussed in this thread actually happening, yes?  

Yes -for certain

I also know how they fixed it.

Drain the pool. It worked

But, as I expected, not one specific example, so far, of the "sub-standard construction" being reported that so many posters are claiming has happened here.  Well done.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm not twisting your words; this is what you posted...

"Probable would've been on the Plan but that doesn't say they've Built the Building strong enough to carry that extra weight"

If that is not suggesting that there is a real danger that the building is not strong enough to support it's own weight or that it is something that is known to happen here, I'm not sure what is.

Perhaps you meant to post, "Probable would've been on the Plan but that doesn't say they've not Built the Building strong enough to carry that extra weight".

As I said I Never said , that is a real danger here in Thailand .

I Merely said that

On 9/18/2021 at 12:28 PM, digger70 said:

Probable would've been on the Plan but that doesn't say they've Built the Building strong enough to carry that extra weight. . 

So let it be .

On 9/18/2021 at 4:33 AM, mikebike said:

Apparently you have no concept of how structural engineering works.

And apparently you have no concept of how chat forums work.  You really need to read and understand before you post otherwise you look silly, as in your case here.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:54 AM, bangkokbonecollector said:

Basically I would be worried about any condo or high rise building that was built between 1985 and 2000 when corruption was f'''ing rife. I mean this sort of thing can and does happen anywhere, check out Sampoong Department Store collapse, hundreds died.

My wife worked as an accountant for a big contractor for high rises in Bangkok (she quit 2011). Corruption was not at all limited to between 1985 and 2000. And it was present on all levels from top management to the lower ranks, wherever someone should keep quiet about substandard procedures applied...

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:56 AM, zappalot said:

My wife worked as an accountant for a big contractor for high rises in Bangkok (she quit 2011). Corruption was not at all limited to between 1985 and 2000. And it was present on all levels from top management to the lower ranks, wherever someone should keep quiet about substandard procedures applied...

I have no doubt that it is true, very scary!

One area of condo law that is in need of updating is the dissolution of condo, I think right now if a new developer were to come in and use the land for something else, they'd first have to convince every owner to sell up to get unanimous vote from all the co-owner, a better ratio of majority present for 2-3 times should do the trick, but then there's real danger of developer just gobbling up rooms to get majority 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

One area of condo law that is in need of updating is the dissolution of condo, I think right now if a new developer were to come in and use the land for something else, they'd first have to convince every owner to sell up to get unanimous vote from all the co-owner, a better ratio of majority present for 2-3 times should do the trick, but then there's real danger of developer just gobbling up rooms to get majority 

I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about a developer 'gobbling up' rooms to get a majority.  I do agree that the vote to dissolve a condo project should not be unanimous, but rather 75 or 80%.  These days you'd be hard pressed to get 100% to agree on what day of the week it is.  

• Like 2

Typically when there are rust stained cracks and blow outs of concrete the cancer has taken hold and R&R is mandatory. This is usually because of inadequate cover. The amount of concrete covering rebar, varies depending on diameter of rebar. Maintaining cover is critical and difficult in areas where many pieces overlap ie: beam to column connections. Also very difficult to inspect and left to the the placement crews. This condo is not unique in that many have design flaws, oxidized rebar and deferred maintenance. Scores of condos in S. Florida should be leveled. CB C-053057 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 5:00 AM, LarrySR said:

The weight of the pool water will not be an issue in a properly engineered structure unless the pool has hidden leaks and the supporting floor/columns are weakened. 

The problem with the high rise pools is, the plumbing, walls and floor are hidden from view, usually only accessible from a dark, tight crawl space that may not be inspected by Somchai for decades. 

The intersection of a supporting column and slab floor could easily fail if the rebar has rusted.

As in the Florida condo collapse, it is speculated a column pushed thru the slab, (punching shear) instantly shifting the load on adjacent columns that also were weakened by rust, creating a chain reaction that caused the building to collapse in seconds.

Check the "Building Integrity" YouTube channel for an engineers viewpoint on the story of greed and incompetence, with a contractor cutting corners, developers bribing city officials, lazy inspectors & questionable maintenance resulting poorly constructing buildings sold to an unsuspecting public......in Florida.

Actually the design flaw was the fact the pool deck beams connected to an perpendicular beam that had no beams connected from the opposite direction, limiting deflection of the beam that supported the building which likely would have limited the collapse to the pool deck alone. A bonehead mistake, possibly cost cutting.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, jobsworth said:

Stonehenge was extensively rebuilt in about 1902. Many of the fallen stone pillars were set upright in concrete. So what you see today is not that old,

Greek, Roman and Egyptian structures are built of stone and suffer only minor earthquake damage.

spacer.png