‘Phuket Sandbox’ welcomes 33,000+ arrivals during 1 July – 16 September

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok, 17 September, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to report that the Phuket Sandbox programme has welcomed 33,059 international arrivals in the first two and a half months, from 1 July to 16 September, 2021.

I wonder what the drop-off rate was from July >August and now September?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket Sandbox’s visitors are required to stay at SHA Plus hotels on Phuket for their added safety. SHA Plus certification indicates a hotel meets the safety measures to control COVID-19, and also that at least 70% of its workforce has been fully vaccinated

Added safety ?? ????????????????????????

• Like 1

So 0.35% of 33,059 were surveyed and they publish the results!  Another useless survey!

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With 161,384 room nights currently on the books for September, the three-month total for July to September is presently at 528,365 room nights. These included 190,843 room nights in July and 176,121 nights in August. Looking further ahead, the present total of room nights for the period of October 2021 to February 2022 is 74,362 room nights.

More interesting is the number of room night bookings for the next 5 months, now that a large number of returning expats have already passed through.  Only 74,362 bookings for 5 months compared with 528,365 for the first 3 months!  Obviously the flood is becoming a trickle.

Edited by grandpa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

No figures on how the ASQ hotels in Bangkok have done in competition with the sandbox?

How many of the 33k are additional, and how many cannibalized from the pre existing Bangkok process of entering the country?

If you have a look to updated Bangkok ASQ list, many hotels are no longer there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder what the drop-off rate was from July >August and now September?

Since most sandbox users are residents returning home or meeting families after 2 years abroad, they rushed to go in July as soon as sandbox opened. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Espanol said:

If you have a look to updated Bangkok ASQ list, many hotels are no longer there.

And I guess this also answers my question.

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/occupancy-at-alternative-quarantine-hotels-takes-a-nosedive?utm_source=Thaiger+Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-09-18

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, a tiny number of tourists, and even fewer if you deduct returnees.  Which leads me to believe all the more that Thailand just needs to once and for all settle on a firm date to reopen the whole country without quarantine to fully-vaccinated tourists.  Stick to that date and don't change it.  Maybe Oct. 1 or 15.   As with Phuket, few will likely come the first few months but that will give Thailand time to do more vaccinations.  The firm opening date will allow travelers to plan with more confidence their getaways for the winter season and into early 2022. 

• Like 1