PM Prayut: Civil servants must hasten to address people’s problems

snoop1130

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Mr. tu tu, we all know how to make civil servants hasten their work ! But as you are in denial then I guess you wouldn't believe me. 

Maybe if they had a cost of living pay increase like most countries every year that might help. I have friends that work for the local government that have not had a increase in 8 years. You pay peanuts and you get skinny people.

Edited by vandeventer

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Maybe if they had a cost of living pay increase like most countries every year that might help. I have friends that work for the local government that have not had a increase in 8 years. You pay peanuts and you get skinny people.

The civil servants I have to deal with (to my dismay) seem to be doing A-OK. 

I'm trying to get a small hotel registered using a "Western mindset" - if you know what I mean. Been waiting for years as a result, even though I've always complied with every letter in the regulations and therefore spent millions extra in construction to adhere to their silly little rules. 

Changed my whole perspective on Thailand and the way things "work" here.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Civil servants world wide never rush to do anything.

The base for why any sort of comparatives are never reasonable. 

Governments, the world over, of any form exist to perpetuate themselves and their dominate lording over of senseless bureaucracy.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

• Like 1

Oh look, Khun kick-the-responsibility-downstairs has a new brooch!

Musta been for a "how to delegate and when to lead" course he went on recently.

Remember his Friday Night National "fireside chats" on every channel? Even out the coup gate, the Thais in whatever eatery I was in would studiously ignore him. I can't see underpaid minions finding it in their hearts to be jaidee toward people they often look down on as lesser citizens.

Maybe this is the reason Kratom was suddenly and mysteriously legalised. BTW if you're wondering, it may have some efficacy in a rice paddy to get a wiggle on, but as a recreational substance you'll get "higher" at starbucks drinking bogus CBD shakes. Which is to say you won't feel a thing!

Edited by chalawaan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Civil servants world wide never rush to do anything.

Not the case in my opinion and observation from various countries I have lived and worked in. Civil servants are often required by their departments and the law of the land to respond within certain time frames to the citizens of the nation. Many countries have strong, positive, responsive civil services, sadly I do not rank Thailand on my personal experience as one of those.   

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

They'll ignore the instruction anyway, they always do.

Further, examples;

1. Farang took his PR approval letter to local office to get his Certificate or Residence book issued. Older lady at the office refused to issue the book 'NO, I don't agree with this'.

2. My son, at 18 years old, took the family car & blue book to the Land Transport office near Din Daeng in Bkk to get the name changed from my name to his name.

He took every book/document in existence in case needed. Loud dragon lady looked at my PR book then loudly told my son 'there's no such thing, this book is fake'.

She motioned that she would rip up the book. Son quickly grabbed the book and scooped up all the documents and fled.

He gingerly returned 3 or 4 days later, 2 staff remembered him and said 'she's not here today, we will do the transfer for you'. An hour later all done and he walked out the proud owner of his own car.  

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

He gingerly returned 3 or 4 days later, 2 staff remembered him and said 'she's not here today, we will do the transfer for you'. An hour later all done and he walked out the proud owner of his own car.  

Off topic but I just find it amazing that staff members like this are tolerated and maybe even feared in Gov. Offices. They blatantly ignore rules and regulations and impose their own like little despots. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Off topic but I just find it amazing that staff members like this are tolerated and maybe even feared in Gov. Offices. They blatantly ignore rules and regulations and impose their own like little despots. 

And their ministry/departments superiors say nothing. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As there is little overseeing bond. 

Very common for local municipalities to configure their own set of rules, regulations and procedures where it suits them as it applies to Federal policy. 

The long time example we might use is immigration offices. More often than not, many facilities will have different set of standards and regulations than many others - usually reflected by particular offices interpreting this and that differently.......usually extra tea money involved.