Honda crv

1FinickyOne

I would be looking at the Mazda cx30 and cx5 in that segment.

Mazda is known for making engaging driving vehicles, the CRV is said to be boring to drive but gets you from a to b in comfort. 

I see a lot of cx30 & cx5 in Pattaya now, they seems popular, especially the cheaper cx30.

Okay maybe worth waiting for the new CRV?

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(How is it that car sales get away with being so very very poor in Thailand with basic things)

Thanks for the post - i have heard others who liked their Mazda too and I will check it out... 

I did look at the Ford and had the opposite - a salesman who took me for a test drive... driving 140 kmph on winding back roads, nearly killing people, making me sick to my stomach and nearly throwing up. I was never so glad to get out of a car... 

My guess would be that the salespeople are probably not well paid and there is a lot of turnover... though I am not sure I trust any salespeople anymore... anywhere... 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks for the post - i have heard others who liked their Mazda too and I will check it out... 

I did look at the Ford and had the opposite - a salesman who took me for a test drive... driving 140 kmph on winding back roads, nearly killing people, making me sick to my stomach and nearly throwing up. I was never so glad to get out of a car... 

My guess would be that the salespeople are probably not well paid and there is a lot of turnover... though I am not sure I trust any salespeople anymore... anywhere... 

I trust most all sales people. I think that because there are no real negotiations and all the dealers offer the same prices, most of the sales people make very little. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, Crusader said:

Bought my CRV 10 years ago...what a bargain, and it still looks like new.

Fully serviced every year by Honda.

Looking for a new vehicle next year...do not like the shape of the newer CRV, so will probably upgrade to a Porche Cayenne.

Similar case whereby my CRV was a 13 years old model (bought new around 1.2 million mid model) and I drove it for 11 years before I change to GLC coupe about 2 years ago......CRV is a good SUV around 1.5 million +/- budget.

P.S. sold the 11 years old CRV for around 320k, think the resale value is not too bad.

Edited by Happyman108
added new info

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We made the choice to go CRV or Ford Everest. 

I was undecided, but was edging toward the Ford Everest. The test drive was ok and we made the decision to buy.

Then a sales lady took over and was overbearing, kept interrupting my Wife and I even after we’d asked her not to. We ended up walking out. 

At Honda the sales lady was  simply dumb, like a piece of cardboard, she couldn’t answer any basic questions about the car (really basic questions), wouldn’t let us test drive. 

She wouldn’t give give the ignition keys (or turn on the electrics herself) so I could adjust the electric seating (to move the seats back so I could get in the drivers seat !)...  Astonished my Wife and I just left. 

Mazda was a better experience - I hadn’t considered the Mazda CX-5, it never really fell oh my radar at all. 

I didn’t even like Mazda as a brand. But, sitting in the car I was impressed with the quality, better than the Ford and Honda which were more utilitarian.

We were offered a test drive - I wanted to drive both the 2.0 petrol and the 2.2 diesel but they only had the diesel model to test drive (How is it that car sales get away with being so very very poor in Thailand with basic things). 

Mazda being the best of the bunch (IMO) we chose the CX-5 and I’ve been satisfied with the car, no issues. 

Mazda now have the CX-8, had that been available at the time (3 years ago), I would have gone for that model. 

Had to chuckle a bit at your post.  I'm an American and whenever I bought a new car in the US the sales guy would usually just make a copy of my drivers license and then throw me the keys to take my own test drive, alone.   "Give it a spin and take your time".  

Fast forward to Thailand and our Honda CR-V sales experience was much like yours.  I was shocked that we could not even take a test drive.  I told my Thai partner, hey we are spending more for a new car than we have ever spent in our lives, don't you want to at least test drive it?  No, I don't need to and they don't want us to.

In reality, I don't think they were too happy about us even SITTING in the car.  The sales girl seemed to wince when we touched the door handles, opened the doors, and got in.  You would think it was her personal car.  And, no, I don't think we were allowed to turn anything on, either.   Partner didn't seem to mind as much as I did; we wanted the CR-V and that's what we got.  Been very satisfied with the car and it perfectly fits our needs but the sales experience could use some work. Had the CX-8 been available when we bought we might have considered that, too.  We wanted the third row of seats and the CX-5 didn't have them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newnative said:

We have the current CR-V AWD model and have not had to change the tires every year.  We just changed the tires this week for the first time after having the car for 3 years. 

The standard tires on the current crv awd last form 60-80K kms. Mne are at 35K (3yrs old) and I can see 60K is being quite doable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Had to chuckle a bit at your post.  I'm an American and whenever I bought a new car in the US the sales guy would usually just make a copy of my drivers license and then throw me the keys to take my own test drive, alone.   "Give it a spin and take your time".  

Fast forward to Thailand and our Honda CR-V sales experience was much like yours.  I was shocked that we could not even take a test drive.  I told my Thai partner, hey we are spending more for a new car than we have ever spent in our lives, don't you want to at least test drive it?  No, I don't need to and they don't want us to.

In reality, I don't think they were too happy about us even SITTING in the car.  The sales girl seemed to wince when we touched the door handles, opened the doors, and got in.  You would think it was her personal car.  And, no, I don't think we were allowed to turn anything on, either.   Partner didn't seem to mind as much as I did; we wanted the CR-V and that's what we got.  Been very satisfied with the car and it perfectly fits our needs but the sales experience could use some work. Had the CX-8 been available when we bought we might have considered that, too.  We wanted the third row of seats and the CX-5 didn't have them.

We had no problem getting a test drive with the crv (they didn't have a petrol version, but you liked to have tested that also). But it was a set route for the test drive, which is a bit of a shame as I would have liked to taken it on a variety of road surfaces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

whenever I bought a new car in the US the sales guy would usually just make a copy of my drivers license and then throw me the keys to take my own test drive, alone. 

We used to buy late model used... and we had the best salesman - he made no selling sounds. He would come with us wherever we wanted on a test drive and was pretty quiet. He did even offer to let us keep the car for a weekend... but after a test drive I usually knew. But, I would tell him I was uncomfortable abt making an offer - - and didn't know how much to offer... and he would say, oh, let me take care of that for you and he would come back with a price that I thought was way reasonable... and we would buy it... 

I was out in the heartland for a while and went into a dealership to look at new cars... I had a Subaru and this young kid, the owners son, went on a big rant abt patriotism and buy America etc etc... when he finished, I asked him where his sneakers were made... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

We used to buy late model used... and we had the best salesman - he made no selling sounds. He would come with us wherever we wanted on a test drive and was pretty quiet. He did even offer to let us keep the car for a weekend... but after a test drive I usually knew. But, I would tell him I was uncomfortable abt making an offer - - and didn't know how much to offer... and he would say, oh, let me take care of that for you and he would come back with a price that I thought was way reasonable... and we would buy it... 

I was out in the heartland for a while and went into a dealership to look at new cars... I had a Subaru and this young kid, the owners son, went on a big rant abt patriotism and buy America etc etc... when he finished, I asked him where his sneakers were made... 

I thought Subaru was built in Indiana...

• Like 1

My recent experience with dealers in Phuket has been better although Mazda seem to have slackened off a bit. Still not easy to get a test drive though.

Looking at the MG HS at the moment, anyone purchased one recently, specifically the PHEV version. I took one for a test drive and was impressed, but it was all shiny and new. They even let my 18 year old have a stint at the wheel!! The worst I have heard on the review sites is it's handling, soft suspension and the noisy alarms. Felt ok when I drove it but that was only for 10 minutes.

If you are considering CRV, you might look at these below.

Mazda CX-8: nicer to drive, more spacious (for 3rd row) and high quality interior. Avoid CX5 as I find the rear seats a bit small for the class.

Haval H6: Great features and specs for 1.2 mil. Not sure about realibility and resale value for now. I rather get this over MG HS for the same money.

Avoid PPVs (Fortuner, Everest etc) if ride comfort is a priority. Basically they are truck with car body and 7 seats. 

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

If you are considering CRV, you might look at these below.

Mazda CX-8: nicer to drive, more spacious (for 3rd row) and high quality interior. Avoid CX5 as I find the rear seats a bit small for the class.

Haval H6: Great features and specs for 1.2 mil. Not sure about realibility and resale value for now. I rather get this over MG HS for the same money.

Avoid PPVs (Fortuner, Everest etc) if ride comfort is a priority. Basically they are truck with car body and 7 seats. 

But those two do have coil springs all round and are built to do a particular rugged job...

1 hour ago, transam said:

But those two do have coil springs all round and are built to do a particular rugged job...

Better these guys stick with something they can handle and a little more floaty so they don't have to constantly be worrying about where the next bathroom is....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 7:13 AM, newnative said:

We have the current CR-V AWD model and have not had to change the tires every year.  We just changed the tires this week for the first time after having the car for 3 years. 

Good to hear they improved. Have to admit I have no personal experience of the current model, but my friend who is a mechanic have one.

• Like 1