Thai tourism in a "coma" - confidence at its worst level since records began, says academic

webfact

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Look at Mexico

Definitely not a "go too" country on my list.

Filthy place with more corruption than here. 

Nice if you like double wide women with stained teeth.

Edited by MrJ2U

Article says 280,447 foreign tourist brought in 16.8 billion baht.  If there was 100,000 middle class retired foreigners spending an average of 45,000 baht a month that would be 54 billion baht each year.

Thai government always talks about getting the ultra weathy retirement people.

But I think government would do well to encourage us middle class income retirees to come and stay.  The Philippines, Mexico and many other places know our value to their economy. Why not Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

And even with the current and modified "reopening" policies in place, they're still not getting it. 

Tourists aren't coming if they still find they have to proceed with these continuing schemes. 

I'm sure Thai officialdom is expecting the hordes to eagerly break down the gates. That's not gonna happen. 

I can't imagine what October through January is gonna look like when they tally the results. 

But, they've seemingly lost all touch with reality. Just yesterday in the publication which can't be linked here, the TAT were quoted as predicting that there will be 1 million tourists coming to Phuket in the next 6 months!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by JCP108
  • Haha 1

Opening with no immigration hassles to tourists and retiree visas is one aspect.

But will people want to come in the first place if half the venues are either shut or only operating partially due to restrictions or plainly due to shortage of supplies ?

• Like 1

Just now, Raybo said:

Maybe with tourism in a coma, it would be a good time to make double pricing illegal.

Yes. And, a few other ideas to help the tourism industry (in addition to reducing all the crazy barriers to entry):

1) Move the money in the submarine category of the budget to cleaning up the tourist areas and making them look more like tourists might want them to look (fix the broken sidewalks, clean the beaches, and add one or two public bathrooms).

2) Address the problem with road accidents, injuries, and deaths. Thailand is #2 in the world for worst traffic safety.

3) Enforce the rule of law so tourists are scammed less often.

4) Keep working on the plastic bag problem so the whole country isn't littered with them.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, George masaoka said:

Article says 280,447 foreign tourist brought in 16.8 billion baht.  If there was 100,000 middle class retired foreigners spending an average of 45,000 baht a month that would be 54 billion baht each year.

Thai government always talks about getting the ultra weathy retirement people.

But I think government would do well to encourage us middle class income retirees to come and stay.  The Philippines, Mexico and many other places know our value to their economy. Why not Thailand?

I thought the retirement visa was 65,000 baht a month but I guess some people use an agent

16 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

......great military men?!? 

Well they must have done well in their  millinery?

But politics is a whole different game. 

look at all military coups , in every country that they have happen. Can you think of one that was ended up being good for the country?

That's because these people are arrogant  from having their egos stroked  all their adult lives  by their underlings. and they see the difficulties their country is facing and think they can do better. 

But they don't know, what they don't know, And even though they might have the best intensions, they always mess things up. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Assuming Thailand reopens countrywide and gets some sort of high season, come February the case load will rise to 50,000 per day imo, and deaths will be 200 plus even with 80% vaccination. UK might wear that but not Thailand. And what sort of normality will it be anyway?

By February most if not all Thais will have been vaccinated. Love how you throw numbers out there.  Work for the TAT?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkktodd said:

Si. The COE has got to go.  Expensive nonsense.  I think the future Thailand is show Vax card, pcr test result,  passport. Enough with the rest of the bs

Expensive and made up bureaucratic nonsense. Any visa can act as a COE. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Si. The COE has got to go.  Expensive nonsense.  I think the future Thailand is show Vax card, pcr test result,  passport. Enough with the rest of the bs

I have not paid anything for the COE, but the COVID Insurance.... that's another matter!

I truly do hope I am wrong. But I don't think Thailand (or the world at large) will be the "normal" that was pre-covid in the future, as many posting here are hoping for.  The new normal is likely to be based upon the Great Reset as envisioned by Klaus Schwab and his World Economic Forum. If you don't know about all this, Google great reset, Klaus Schwab and decide for yourself.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

By February most if not all Thais will have been vaccinated. Love how you throw numbers out there.  Work for the TAT?

Yeah. I believe that might be pushing it to suggest that we might attain an 80 percentile vaccinate rate by February.

And I'm in the circle of optimist and positive do-gooders who would like to see a high percentage in a short time. 

Is it becoming better over the last month - increased significantly to the present 26%. Increasing every week.

Hope springs eternal.