Before And Now.

NoshowJones

Those of you who have lived here 15 years or more, how do you compare it then and now? We now have an unelected PM, educated at a Military Academy, no experience at all in politics, but manages to stay in power for the last 7 years.

Will there ever be a democratically elected government in Thailand in the near future? How many expats came to live in Thailand in the 7 years leading up to the 2014 coup compared with the 7 years since?

How many expats have left Thailand for good since the coup compared to the 7 years before? Your thoughts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I have been here through all of that. I know a lot more that left than have stayed though mainly because it was a lot easier to get good well paid work back then. Saying that, did more leave before this current schema or after I don't know as COVID has had quite an impact. I find, in Bangkok, that theres a core who have been here a long time, many more transients (not looking for full time long term employment) than before.

In regards the politics, its a lot more in your face now I find, but is that just the change in media and media accessibility? I dont know but I find in my own circle theres a lot who have had enough and are planning to venture to new fields (1st world mainly). I think development and prices have more affect on that than politics though. One thing I do notice with myself, I always had "hope" for Thailand changing in certain ways, no that "hope" is gone I feel, and that loss of hope is because of the politics and corruption.

I do know that in the 2 or 3 years leading up to the pandemic that if you walked up or down Sukhumvit Road between Soi 3 and Asoke, you would see very few Westerners, day or night, which would tell you that government issues as well as it being harder to find well paid work have prevented many longstay tourists and expats coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

I have been here through all of that. I know a lot more that left than have stayed though mainly because it was a lot easier to get good well paid work back then.

Could you tell me how you know this MRToMRT ?... Because I can only access the Thailand Migration Report 2019--- with figures that are the very opposite to your statement. Or do you mean to quote that--  in your personal circle of friends more left then stayed. ?

Published on a regular basis since 2005, the Thailand Migration Report 2019

is the latest in a series produced by the UN Thailand Working Group on Migration,

which is chaired by IOM and brings together 16 UN agencies

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

Could you tell me how you know this MRToMRT ?... Because I can only access the Thailand Migration Report 2019--- with figures that are the very opposite to your statement. Or do you mean to quote that--  in your personal circle of friends more left then stayed. ?

Yes, its  "I" know a lot more that have ...... not a statistical thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I do know that in the 2 or 3 years leading up to the pandemic that if you walked up or down Sukhumvit Road between Soi 3 and Asoke, you would see very few Westerners, day or night, which would tell you that government issues as well as it being harder to find well paid work have prevented many longstay tourists and expats coming to Thailand.

Really?

I live in that area. Before Covid we had (it seems) thousands of restaurants, bars, hotels, massage places, and and and in that area. Not all full but most of them full enough to make money. With Covid many of those places have closed. Even the McDonald corner Soi 5 is closed and Foodland Soi 5 has very few visitors.

Maybe the numbers were a little down pre Covid like from 100% to maybe 90%. But with Covid it's more like <10% of what it was. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I live in that area. Before Covid we had (it seems) thousands of restaurants, bars, hotels, massage places, and and and in that area. Not all full but most of them full enough to make money. With Covid many of those places have closed. Even the McDonald corner Soi 5 is closed and Foodland Soi 5 has very few visitors.

Maybe the numbers were a little down pre Covid like from 100% to maybe 90%. But with Covid it's more like <10% of what it was. 

Being a regular visitor to Bangkok and in that area, I have definitely noticed a lot less of white westerners there even before the pandemic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Being a regular visitor to Bangkok and in that area, I have definitely noticed a lot less of white westerners there even before the pandemic.

I live in lower Sukhumvit and have done for years and am seeing quite the opposite - seems many who could not qualify for LT visa are making the most of covid extensions. Also something I have not seen since 2005 - men in their 50's+ with women in their 20's in tow.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

I live in lower Sukhumvit and have done for years and am seeing quite the opposite - seems many who could not qualify for LT visa are making the most of covid extensions. Also something I have not seen since 2005 - men in their 50's+ with women in their 20's in tow.

I was referring to the years leading up to the pandemic, I have not been in Bangkok since then.

9 hours ago, mokwit said:

Much less change than the before and after of Thaksin. Before Thaksin a free and easy place, once the 'Khong Raan Chin' came to power thinking he owned the country like he had acquired a company in a business takeover, things changed

Spot on. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, mokwit said:

That would be old farts in their 70’s with women in their teens....????????????????

• Haha 1

Been here since the unelected Prem was in power. Since then I've seen a number of elected governments and a number of coups. The main changes to normal Thai life over that period have been the same ones that most countries have gone through - technological, particularly in mobile connectivity and personal transport.

The two biggest things that personally affected many expat and tourist Westerners (positively and negatively) were:

The elected dinosaur government of Chavalit's aiding of the 1997 financial crisis, and the huge depreciation of the Baht that went with it.

The first Thaksin government's enforcing the 90 day report law (it was always on the books, but never seriously enforced up to then), its introduction of midnight closing for "entertainment venues", and its cracking down on visa runs and frequent tourist visitors.

In short, it's not for me to say how Thailand should be run, it's for the Thai people. However, they seem to becoming increasingly wary of protesting to remove unelected or undemocratic (which isn't always the same as unelected) regimes, as in the end they are the ones who are killed or "disappeared" while the same fat cats they were protesting about pop up again and again at the trough.

• Like 1