Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

this charge will be included in the ticket price paid (if the government has any sense), so will basically be invisible. many countries have arrival/departure/airport (whatever you want to call it) tax. will 500 baht stop anyone visiting thailand? nope.

do i care about 500 baht - the cost of a couple of coffees? nope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheapcanuck said:

Another nail in Thailand's coffin. 

If they really need money to improve tourist facilities may I suggest there is no need for a Sports and Tourism body, the TAT and the Tourist Police. One body could do it all.

• Like 1

This what I paid for my ticket:

Airfare:

1150.00 USD

U.S. Transportation Tax:

38.20 USD

International Surcharge:

98.00 USD

September 11th Security Fee:

11.20 USD

Japan Passenger Security Service Charge:

9.80 USD

Japan Passenger Service Facilities Charge:

19.40 USD

Thailand Processing User Charge:

2.20 USD

Thailand International Departure Fee:

1.00 USD

U.S. APHIS User Fee:

3.96 USD

U.S. Customs User Fee:

5.99 USD

U.S. Immigration User Fee:

7.00 USD

Thailand Passenger Service Charge:

22.50 USD

U.S. Passenger Facility Charge:

13.50 USD

Total Per Passenger:

1382.75 USD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

work out the detail later lol? wonder if thats going to exclude thai citizens if it does then the expats living here should be excluded too lol. then they wont be getting much cheddar so probably they wont exclude no one, remember they said tourists likes see how they interpret it. jezz some of us are on multi reenrty that may cost us $5,000 - $10,000 baht  there should be a maximum set.

1 hour ago, mjakob007 said:

Front page news in May 2022:

Every man, woman and child who enters Thailand from January 1st will have to pay 50,000 baht for the privilege...

Earlier estimated one million tourists couldn't make it. but to meet our greed of 500mill, each of the 10,000 tourists arriving during the year would pay 50,000 a piece.

NB: each tourist would receive a complementary herbal sunscreen (upon payment of 8000 baht). 

herbal sunscreen? thats coconut milk with what some chemicals?

10 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

No --most have had it in place for some years ...Vietnam $25---Laos--$52--- Cambodia fee is all wrapped up in the Covid Fee Of $3,000--Philippines--around $37

Indonesia $35

Thailand already has this fee, this is an additional fee they want to add. I think early 2000's they stopped collection of cash upon exit and had it included into the ticket. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

this charge will be included in the ticket price paid (if the government has any sense), so will basically be invisible. many countries have arrival/departure/airport (whatever you want to call it) tax. will 500 baht stop anyone visiting thailand? nope.

do i care about 500 baht - the cost of a couple of coffees? nope.

Wow....where to start 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Thailand already has this fee, this is an additional fee they want to add. I think early 2000's they stopped collection of cash upon exit and had it included into the ticket. 

The above for those countries is an entry fee --all those countries I listed ericthai, also have an exit fee like Thailand added to the ticket---exception being Indonesia (Bali-still collecting it in cash as you leave and causing chaos )

No one charges an exit fee unless you use their Airport.

• Like 1

I love how all these officials fully explore all the possibilities of their proposals before they announce them. A 500 baht entrance fee (as opposed to the old 500 baht departure fee that is now included in ticket prices) is to help fund all the defunct businesses after the pandemic.

Well, hasn't he considered it might just put off some holidaymakers and others considering a stop over from visiting Thailand, thus making prospects worse for the remaining businesses.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo
  • Like 1

OK call me stupid... Thanks.... But ten years ago we used to have to pay 750bt airport tax to leave Thailand, little machines at the airport. Then they decided to add it to the booking, called Airport Tax. Now they want to introduce another tax called the tourism tax.. What's the betting this will eventually be added to the ticket and another tax be brought in. Do they think we would just forget we all already pay a tax?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Boarn said:

In Thailand it seems this new fee is for foreigners only, in other places they are for everyone. 

and of course they will collect it efficiently from all of the thousands of land border crossings by foreigners every day??  or is it just another Airport Tax?