Where are older single farang women retiring in Asia?

14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I was looking to buy a George Foreman grill...I forgot how we connected, but a lady had one she was selling....

In checking it out and chatting I asked why she was selling it.....

She was selling everything & going back to the US....It was her experience that Thailand was too lonely a place for older farang women....She indicated that no men were even interested in friendship, "they all want Thai women".....She also said that there was no groups, or structure of support for retired farang women....They were basically forgotten and invisible....Kind of just a hole in society....

I believe she said that she knew others that had found it the same and had moved away over time....

I didn't try to suggest anything as she was packed and moving on....Not knowing her all I could do was wish her well....

I'm sure there's some niche groups, networks,  or "clubs" out there - probably not very many.....

I remember upon leaving there that I felt very badly for her....Still do....

your right though,not sure about Bali but Thailand particularly Pattaya  is or was man centric and caters mostly to western males with Clubs ,social clubs etc ,not a womans only clubs in pattaya ?

There used to be a few western women onThai visa forum  years ago although i dont see them write on here anymore as i think many went back to their home countries

I guess Pattaya or Phuket would be a good choice for retiring women in Thailand whilst Bali in indonesia would be a first choice for many.

Edited by georgegeorgia

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My first thought was Bali, because of the Julia Roberts movie. No doubt in my mind that every western woman on the planet watched that and planned to go there in search of Mr Perfection. :heart_001::wub::giggle:

Have enjoyed the movie numerous times. Wish all the happiness I have found in retirement in Thailand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bali did surprise me when i went for the first time and seeing the farang women with Bali boys. Kenya and Caribbean seems popular with women too

I never like Bali but a lot of Aussie's do. It's a great place if you like multi-pricing. They even post it on the wall, a certain country pays so much for the same thing. I did visit the jail in Bali as a lot of Aussies where in there on drug charges. So I took a few buckets of KFC and it went down well.

59 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I never like Bali but a lot of Aussie's do. It's a great place if you like multi-pricing. They even post it on the wall, a certain country pays so much for the same thing. I did visit the jail in Bali as a lot of Aussies where in there on drug charges. So I took a few buckets of KFC and it went down well.

Aussies mostly stick to Kuta and south, go elsewhere and you can escape the surfer dudes, i never noticed multi pricing the times i went, maybe a relatively new thing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Aussies mostly stick to Kuta and south, go elsewhere and you can escape the surfer dudes, i never noticed multi pricing the times i went, maybe a relatively new thing

It was over 20years ago for me and I still can remember the signs. Japan paid the most than Americans than Canadians than Aussies. Forget the money what  I really didn't like was the hawkers that never let up.

I have never been to Bali, So I can't comment, but yeah, Indo, Sumatra - I was confused when I took the ferry from Penang to Medan, all these muscular young local guys hanging out in the Sputnik guesthouse, calling themselves guides. Then I would see them guiding elderly ladies along the tourist routes, Bukit Luang and Danu Toba. 

13 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I have never been to Bali, So I can't comment, but yeah, Indo, Sumatra - I was confused when I took the ferry from Penang to Medan, all these muscular young local guys hanging out in the Sputnik guesthouse, calling themselves guides. Then I would see them guiding elderly ladies along the tourist routes, Bukit Luang and Danu Toba. 

Spiritually I was more of a Pardede man myself although I never stayed there. Always at Hotel Danau Toba. Entertainment at Casablanca. 

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How dare you, 99% of the men on aseannow.com just come for the temples and sand ????

It is a differnce of shaving your face hair off and cutting your head off ???? I know everyone I know back home believe so, but is it true? If you come here as a single man, you are a sex tourist or expat!

I have met some farang women, and they do have their interests and social life that keeps them here, but same as among many men, they feel lonely here in Thailand and do not find the happiness they are looking for. I think the problem is more about them than Thailand itself. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It is a differnce of shaving your face hair off and cutting your head off ???? I know everyone I know back home believe so, but is it true? If you come here as a single man, you are a sex tourist or expat!

I have met some farang women, and they do have their interests and social life that keeps them here, but same as among many men, they feel lonely here in Thailand and do not find the happiness they are looking for. I think the problem is more about them than Thailand itself. 

I've never heard of men feeling lonely here in Thailand. But western women, used to being the centre of attention, protected and put on a pedestal definitely feel ignored here. However, gay women love it here.