Foreigner Bank Account Requirements

Chosenfew

I think the official line from some front desk staff and managers might be that you need a WP, but as others have said, its not strictly true. Although I opened my first bank accounts when I did have a WP, I have found it difficult opening subsequent accounts, but managed it in the end - perseverance is the key, I have always used Kasikorn. I think they offer a pretty decent online service.

If you know someone who can refer you, or knows the manager, then that's never a bad thing.

Its a strange situation, by now banks must know that in order to get a long term visa we have to have funds in the bank, seasoned for 2-3 months, yet they throw whatever in the way to prevent you from opening an account. I found English speaking helpline staff more understanding and knowledgeable with regard to foreigners, yet approaching managers was generally fruitless.

Bangkok bank have a webpage specially for foreigners, but with a quick glance, I couldn't see mention of their requirements - of course, these can be waived on the day by any manager, but Bangkok bank officially say you need some kind of document from your embassy or from your home bank. If you want the official line from them, call the helpline.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

From your link:

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank just over a year ago, to facilitate Transferwise deposits, I needed no more than a passport.

Thanks. I was working at the time, I knew that BBK always had a webpage and didn't have time to check. I was trying to provide some factual reference.

Opening bank questions are always a little subjective, some people have no issues at all, some people have major difficulties. I had a kasikorn account for over 10 years, and despite having millions of baht in my only account local and other managers refused to open subsequent accounts as. I no longer had a WP, finally one of the call center supervisors saw sense, made a phone call to the new manager and the magical doors opened. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

Advice about what banks require to open up a savings account with ATM services.

Can this be done on a tourist visa?

Passport and Certificate of Residence from Jomtien(300 baht) is all you need. Take it along to the Bangkok Bank branch on Second Road opposite Soi 6 or North Pattaya Road or possibly Walking Street. Expect to be 'gouged' for 700 baht or so for some hidden product. I fail to understand why their ATM card costs so much more than anyone else's.

Other than that you should walk out with what you want.

Soi 6 branch might be the first to try.

• Thanks 1

My experience is that what they actually wanted is proof of some address other than a hotel or guest house. I live in a condo that is in my wife's name. So we drew up a rental contract stating that I rent space there for unlimited time. And that provided for the tick in the box. Apart from that the visa needs to be OK, I don't know if a tourist visa will do, since I have a retirement visa. But some proof of address may help.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Z said:

My experience is that what they actually wanted is proof of some address other than a hotel or guest house. I live in a condo that is in my wife's name. So we drew up a rental contract stating that I rent space there for unlimited time. And that provided for the tick in the box. Apart from that the visa needs to be OK, I don't know if a tourist visa will do, since I have a retirement visa. But some proof of address may help.

That is why the Residence Certificate.  300 baht at Jomtien.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Officially you need a Work Permit or a Yellow Tabien Baan (yellow house book) to open a Thai Bank account at any bank. 

Realistically - IF you are on a tourist visa just keep trying banks until you get one with whom you can open an account. 

Some people suggest Kasikorn (green) are more favourable for foreigners while others suggest Bangkok Bank (dark blue) are more favourable for foreigners, whereas other Banks such as Siam Commercial Bank (Purple) are less favourable. 

The common theme on this forum is just keep trying until you find a bank works for you. 

So you're saying that people who arrive on retirement visas are actually not permitted to open bank accounts? Try again. 

• Like 2

Just now, Speedhump said:

So you're saying that people who arrive on retirement visas are actually not permitted to open bank accounts? Try again. 

Yes, that would make things difficult for those after retirement extensions...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Z said:

But I'm not sure if a tourist on a tourist visa can get a residence certificate. I got mine only after the personal 90-days reporting.

You can. 

I know people just on COVID-19 extensions who did it that way.

• Like 2

Siam Legal provide this service for 4500 THB. I'm in the process of doing the same thing - arriving on a TR & converting to a Retirement. Got an email from them this morning to arrange a meeting to sort when I arrive in Chiang Mai.

The other ways (covered in the other replies) were too hit and miss (& time consuming) for me. I need the account open quickly so will throw some money at it and remove the hassle.

You may book for our service for opening a bank account through this
page:
https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-thailand.php

• Thanks 1

Once some people get wound up they really go for it don't they & some porkies here as well

Like , every KTB savings account attracts interest, sure small at present but credited twice a year.

Banks discourage opening accounts on a tourist visa (not sure what the law says) & having been in

the industry I do not blame them as all these guys gung ho about their future here, most fall by the wayside & leave tiddly amounts in an account which when you have thousands of them ( & that is what would happen) they are a pain in the proverbial for the bank.

A bona fide person with the right reasons for opening ( A promises of sending 100,000 transfers every month is not a reason, as they have heard it all before) & a pleasant disposition will never have a problem opening an account

I have never had a WP and have opened 4 bank accounts, The Bank of Ayudhya aka; yellow bank was the friendliest and easiest, not sure if they still do but used to have 'A tourist' account.  Bangkok bank was the worst even with a retirement visa, insisting on a WP but it does depend on whether the staff can be bovered. As already suggested Tourist areas will be more accommodating. Don't forget there are a lot of things you can't do over the counter unless it is the branch where you open the account. Good luck but I would try the Bank Of Ayudhya first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1