Pattaya Sandbox?

I might be making a November 2021 trip to Thailand.  I recall something about an additional five cities opening up in a sandbox fashion on October 1st, including Pattaya.  Did that happen?  Is there currently the ability to travel from overseas to Pattaya without quarantine, as long as I stay in the city a designated period of time (7 days)?  If so, do I need to stay in an approved hotel, or can I go directly to my own Jomtien condo?

I've been skimming topics on entry requirements as they pop up on the daily newsletter summary, but with so many changes – some literally day to day – I don't know what is current.  Because I had vague plans to return to Thailand "sometime" I wasn't watching details or keeping up.

Also, is the 30-day visa-waiver exemption still possible for a US citizen, or is some sort of visa required?  If the visa-waiver option is available, what other entry requirements are there besides (a) a CoE, (b) proof of Covid insurance coverage, and (c) proof of vaccination?

Edited by wpcoe

October 1st had quarantine reduced to 7 days for vaccinated and 10 days for non-vaccinated visitors.  Sandbox start on the published timeline is November 1st, but this relies on other factors and is not set in stone.

Yes, a 30 day visa exemption is available for US visitors.  As well as your list it also needs hotel booking, an app that sounds like it might never be checked, and a T8 form according to the rules I've read.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

October 1st had quarantine reduced to 7 days for vaccinated and 10 days for non-vaccinated visitors.  Sandbox start on the published timeline is November 1st, but this relies on other factors and is not set in stone.

Thanks.  Those kinds of changes (delay from Oct 1 to Nov 1) are little details that can really much up one's plans.  Do you recall how far in advance they changed it from Oct 1 to Nov 1?

(Here is a Sept 16 article still quoting the Oct 1 start for Pattaya:  https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/09/16/these-five-places-in-thailand-will-soon-be-quarantine-free-for-vaccinated-travellers )

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Yes, a 30 day visa exemption is available for US visitors.  As well as your list it also needs hotel booking, an app that sounds like it might never be checked, and a T8 form according to the rules I've read.

Now, that's good news.  I assume the hotel booking is for the 7-day quarantine pre-Nov?  If there is no quarantine, is a specially-designated hotel still needed?

I understand your frustration, OP, about the permanent changes to everything Thailand and Covid. The same is true for us "locals", be this for sale of alcohol (from shops or in restaurants), opening hours and curfews, cinemas, waterparks, not to speak about vaccination opportunities for Thais and foreigners alike.

That said... I understand the "Sandbox" concept for an island, where there are limited ingress and egress points that can be controlled. I have yet to understand, how they want to do such a thing for Pattaya with literally thousands of roads in and out? Do they want to imprison Pattaya center and Jomtien as they did before with (limited) success? But then what to do with locals travelling in and out for work, shopping etc? But then I think, nobody in the whole government did think about this also. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You probably will be able too during the day.  Just need to be tucked in by the hotel manager at night.

That's another confusing puzzle piece.  If there is a quarantine, then you can't leave the hotel, right?  But if there is no quarantine (just a "sandbox") and they still insist on a hotel, then I could walk out of the hotel after checking in and stay in my own condo until hotel check-out day, when I would return to check out.  The hotel shouldn't mind:  I wouldn't be using any of their resources.

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

But if there is no quarantine (just a "sandbox") and they still insist on a hotel, then I could walk out of the hotel after checking in and stay in my own condo until hotel check-out day, when I would return to check out. 

If you do not return to the hotel to stay the night they report that to the authorities.

There was news articles about couple of people that go chased down by the authorities after not checking in at the hotel for the night at the Phuket sandbox.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you do not return to the hotel to stay the night they report that to the authorities.

There was news articles about couple of people that go chased down by the authorities after not checking in at the hotel for the night at the Phuket sandbox.

Sounds very similar to an Open Prison here in the UK.

Got a feeling could be another Christmas in the cold the way this Govt is handling things????

at the original phuket sandbox project there was possibility of staying at your own place, but with booking sha+ hotel for COE.

In practise it was changed to signing at reception before curfew, as at that time the 4th wave took the full swing.

Still, some guests would sign in and walk out to their homes. Rule was not strictly enforced, no locked doors.

It's not in an interest of hotel to keep guests under control and crowding their place.

I would think rules in the other sandboxes would be relaxed.

By november there might not be curfew, so guests can walk out at will.

Maybe they will put emphasis on downloaded tracing application.

Rules would be changing and dependent on local situation, governor of province will make rules - same, as to what is now in phuket

Edited by internationalism

The last I read was 7 days at the SHA or SHA+ resort with a sealed route. Which means stuck on the resort for 7 days, 2 PCR tests and you will be able to sign up for the daily tours to certain venues. That was for Oct 1 opening. We should know by next Wed. I did the Phuket sandbox at the end of Aug and to me that was the best and still the best option. I roamed the whole island for 2 weeks. Nothing was strictly enforced

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Spoilsport! ????

What is the rationale for requiring someone to sleep in a specific bed at night, while they are able to roam willy nilly throughout the city during daylight?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

What is the rationale for requiring someone to sleep in a specific bed at night, while they are able to roam willy nilly throughout the city during daylight?

It is so they can always find you and you need to have your temperature checked to be sure you do not have covid.

Having to spend the night in a specific hotel is better than being locked down for the entire quarantine period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is so they can always find you and you need to have your temperature checked to be sure you do not have covid..

That logic is fine as long as the authorities appreciate that someone with a temperature of 37.5 has probably been infectious and spreading Covid for two days before the fever is recognised. Apart from that, there have been Covid superspreaders who never had a high fever. Having to check in once a day at an agreed testing centre for lateral flow tests (should cost less than $10 each) would catch infections sooner, and obviate the need to mandate which bed you occupy at night.

I realize they have to use *some* yardstick to alert to a possible infection, but with me a temperature check may not work.  My resting body temperature is a full degree (C) lower that what they expect for a "normal" person.  So I could easily be running a slight fever and they'd never realize it.  I pity the folks who have a higher-than-normal resting body temperature, they must be setting off alarms everywhere.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:31 AM, wpcoe said:

That's another confusing puzzle piece.  If there is a quarantine, then you can't leave the hotel, right?  But if there is no quarantine (just a "sandbox") and they still insist on a hotel, then I could walk out of the hotel after checking in and stay in my own condo until hotel check-out day, when I would return to check out.  The hotel shouldn't mind:  I wouldn't be using any of their resources.

There is nightly checks ( I would assume). And why somebody wants to spend for one week hotel just to enter Thailand. It smells like a scam to me.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

There is nightly checks ( I would assume). And why somebody wants to spend for one week hotel just to enter Thailand. It smells like a scam to me.

Did 7 days in Phuket sandbox and 7 days on Samui. 

Nobody checked in Phuket, on Samui my presence was reported every night. 

• Like 1

Final details still TBD.  My summation as best I can tell as of today.

If fully vaccinated, then after November 1:

1:  Still need COE?  I can believe that as it may be a way to verify in advance one is vaccinated or not.  Still some uncertainty on what proof they will accept. The typical USA CDC white vaccination card i just got is so easily faked.  Has no control numbers, no stamps, etc. USA basically has no centralized database.  Some states have some online things, but many don't.

2:  Will airlines or arriving in BKK airport still require 72 prior negative PCR test? Can be a bit awkward when traveling around the USA and going coast to coast prior to departing from LAX. 

3:  Still need to prepay and show proof of 7 days in a SHA hotel?  Hate that as lessons learned over the years in Thailand it is risky to pay in advance.  I hear Agoda bookings are more reliable and cancelation or changes are possible or easier, but I have never booked in advance on all my 15 trips so I can't testify to changes.

4:  PCR tests at hotel?  How many?  I heard 2.  If so, who pays and when?  COE site suggest up to $100 USD per test!  Jesus!  I would have thought the mandatory COVID insurance policy would cover that/ Anybody tried that?

5: Still need COVID insurance?

6:  Still have limited airline choices.  Taiwan is  not allowing transit or connecting flights through Taiwan until January. 

To me the real danger or risk is if you test positive, falsely or otherwise.  You get dragged off to a 14 day hospital quarantine.  not comfortable, not a ASQ hotel level type of placet.  And you have to pay Your insurance doesn't pay for it, as you were not treated for anything.  That lady on Phuket had a story about it.  If that is still true and could happen, yech.  Curiously I have not heard of any more stories from foroeign travelers over in Thailand that tested positive and what they then went through

Edited by gk10012001

17 hours ago, kelboy said:

We had someone not coming back at night and police and immigration were on the scene straight away. 

Good god a nightly bed check!  Haven't had that since I was at US Air Force Officer Training School back in 1982!  We had lights out too.  I do recall a few times having a flashlight on under the covers while doing some late night studying for the test in the morning!  And they would now and then walk the drug sniffing dogs through the corridors.  And amazingly enough, a handful of candidates got caught with pot in their rooms, despite all the advance warnings about what not to bring or do. Not to mention of course you are on an Air Force Base!

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is so they can always find you and you need to have your temperature checked to be sure you do not have covid.

Having to spend the night in a specific hotel is better than being locked down for the entire quarantine period.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If I can stay at my condo for 18 hours of the day, checking into a hotel for 6 hours is not the best way to find you in a hurry. Besides, I thought that's what the tracking app was for.

Forcing people to book a restricted list of hotels is clearly a money grab, just like the ridiculous 3.2 million baht covid insurance when fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:21 AM, wpcoe said:

Spoilsport! ????

It keeps most folks from immediately travelling to other cities.   Sure, you can still day trip, but it should put a limit on how far you can go and still make it back to check in.  

11 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Did 7 days in Phuket sandbox and 7 days on Samui. 

Nobody checked in Phuket, on Samui my presence was reported every night. 

What kind of door lock was used on your hotel room in Phuket? In many cases, the hotel can tell when you enter and leave your room without ever actually seeing you.

• 4 weeks later...

So, at this point (7 days into the Nov. 1st loosening of entry requirements) that there is *NOT* a Pattaya Sandbox?

If there is, where is the official list of (SHA+ ?) hotels for Pattaya?

17 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

So, at this point (7 days into the Nov. 1st loosening of entry requirements) that there is *NOT* a Pattaya Sandbox?

If there is, where is the official list of (SHA+ ?) hotels for Pattaya?

A Pattaya sandbox does not exist. The only 2 are Phuket and Samui.

It is not required to go into one if your are fully vaccinated and traveling from a listed country. You spend one night in a AQ or SHA+ hotel and after getting a negative corvid 19 test you can travel anywhere in Thailand.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A Pattaya sandbox does not exist. The only 2 are Phuket and Samui.

It is not required to go into one if your are fully vaccinated and traveling from a listed country. You spend one night in a AQ or SHA+ hotel and after getting a negative corvid 19 test you can travel anywhere in Thailand.

Pattaya (Chon Buri) sandbox does exist from 1 Nov (there are now 17 sandboxes)

This is from the Thailand Pass application when you select sandbox option 

Screenshot_20211107-170015_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1