Pipat: Thailand ready to vie for Chinese and other tourists as country reopens

webfact

4 hours ago, toolpush said:

I don't think most people have quite figured out the overall picture yet. The virus was released in China. Now China is for all practical purposes again a completely closed country (just like prior to 1989). China has been hemorrhaging foreign currency the last few years and is in big financial trouble (Evergrande). The last thing the Chinese Government wants is their citizens leaving and spending hard earned foreign currency and transferring such currency out to buy condos, houses and such. Also being exposed to such foreign attributes like freedom of speech, the press and so on. Isn't the virus and fear of it a handy excuse to keep the Chinese locked in?

spot on there mate ..keep the yen in China government ain't stupid 

• Like 2

Opening up to foreign tourists who are fully vaccinated, will not cause a spike in cases. 
Opening up (no restrictions) the country may or most likely will cause a spike. 
Everyone keeps bringing up the % of fully vaccinated people here being low, let’s not forget that all who have been infected and recovered, have an even stronger immunity then those vaccinated. 
I truly believe a huge % of the Thai population has had it with mild symptoms, without knowing it. Remember which country reported the first case, outside of China lol

Edited by Rudey
Grammar mistakes
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously delusional. Three weeks quarantine back in China not included the quarantine in Thailand. These idiots are either very misinformed or just like to spread hype, in the belief someone might actually believe it.

Don't you think they know about China's travel restrictions?? 

I am sure there are back channel communications and negotiations with China.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

There was a news report on the BBC about Thailand re-opening to ten "safe" countries on November 1st.  They included Britain and the USA which raised an eyebrow or two!  Clearly the Thai authorities are desperate for tourist dollars at any cost.

The USA is doing just fine going to  football games by the millions no ????  every weekend shoulder to shoulder you see we got this thing kicked in the ass

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

It’s crazy that only 46 million of the UK is fully vaccinated. Maybe the other 20 million adults are anti vax as there is plenty of places to just walk in and get vaccinated. Even today I walked past a large chemist who were giving the Pfizer vaccine . You just have to walk in with ID and get jabbed but there is no one there.  I know Thailand is far from that level of available vaccinations. 

...and they [Thais] are much less political regarding vaccines. Might be to their advantage in the long run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

The USA is doing just fine going to  football games by the millions no ????  every weekend shoulder to shoulder you see we got this thing kicked in the ass

Sure ya have. 

44.6 million documented infections and 720 thousand deaths. 

• Like 1

Phuket example.  Make all these rules about number of weekly infections in the sandbox before shutting it down then exceed that by 3-4-5 times and no shutdown.   Small fish stating that the sandbox didn't help their financial situation.    So this is really driven by the big boys.  

Currently Thailand isn't open normally for regular local tourists.  No alcohol or nightlife. Parties getting busted every night.  Can people travel freely to phuket? How is that big market outbreak going in CM? These are the things I read about. 

Seems like the first step should be to open up everything, bars, massage, restaurants with alcohol to locals. Then see how 2 months of that goes. Then decide on opening to foreign tourists from all countries.  If tested before and at arrival why does country matter?  Problem is they are between rock and high season( Rip off season).  Greed beckons. 

What is the false positive rate of the tests being used?  What happens if one member of party tests positive?   I like to gamble but I'm not insane. 

Also isn't the new 500baht entry just example of how Thai people think.  If business is slow charge more. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rocking Robert said:

50,000 at last night's Giants/Dodgers game.

You had to show proof of vaccination.

Giants lost.

• Haha 1

I suspect that tourism is going to rise very slowly from present levels.

But OPPORTUNITIES (not certainties) for gathering foreign exchange from farang - in the mid-term, when hopefully exiting the forthcoming depression - might be found by policies that intelligently encourage:

- retiree settlement.  Even those of modest means likely spend far more in a year than the average holiday tourist.

- young independent nomad entrepreneurs.

- tourists from the middle classes of India and China, especially once these countries are linked to Thailand by rail.

There is one big black cloud on the horizon : the possible re-introduction of the foreign exchange controls that existed in my younger years (You could only take 50 GBP out of the Sterling Area)

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Rudey said:

Opening up to foreign tourists who are fully vaccinated, will not cause a spike in cases. 
Opening up (no restrictions) the country may or most likely will cause a spike. 
Everyone keeps bringing up the % of fully vaccinated people here being low, let’s not forget that all who have been infected and recovered, have an even stronger immunity then those vaccinated. 
I truly believe a huge % of the Thai population has had it with mild symptoms, without knowing it. Remember which country reported the first case, outside of China lol

Actually recovering from Covid doesn't mean you have better protection. I had two friends that had covid and they both ended up getting covid a second time. 

It is recommended that you still get a covid vaccine even if you had covid 19 as the natural immunity appears not to be strong enough, however as with any medical situation it's not the same for everyone.

I'm not sure what lays ahead for Thailand but I know it wont be pretty. 

14 hours ago, Mark17AA said:

He didn't mention how much we are all going to spend... suspicious me thinks. 

Think of number double it and divide by the last number oh can't be bothered.

The 500 baht entry fee he announced recently will meet all costs.

I don’t think !!

As cynical as it sounds I'm beginning to think that the real idea here is to produce plans so as to appear busy and relevant. To see you, staff and budget are not cut. As thick and uneducated as many are surely they must see what we do. That's why we have another day, another plan. Sorry, activity does not equal productivity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

What's the covid situation REALLY like? Is the CCP worried Chinese will just be known to spread more covid? Trying to keep money at home??

You are correct. With the winter olympics coming nothing is going to spoil that, so nobody is going out until way after that. Plus as you said the money is wanted to stay at home.

Regarding cases who knows but i wouldn't believe the narrative that is pushed out by the CCP.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see you provided a politicians answer. Again China will not be opening their borders, so the statement is hype, false and disingenuous.

I will state China will not open their borders before the summer of 2022. I am here in China and I will be surprised if they open at all in 2022.

How do you know that the Thais are not negotiating travel bubbles with the Chinese and others even as we speak? IMO it would be criminals irresponsible if they were not. 

Now it is possible that nothing will come of these negotiations, but the first opening gambit would be to do just what Thailand proposes to do with China, It could not hurt and has the potential to help. And any time you can do something that can't hurt but has the potential to help, it would be beyond irresponsible not to so it. 

It is conflict resolution 101   

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see you provided a politicians answer. Again China will not be opening their borders, so the statement is hype, false and disingenuous.

I will state China will not open their borders before the summer of 2022. I am here in China and I will be surprised if they open at all in 2022.

Sorry, what do you care if China is on their list? ok we know Chinese won't be travelling for a while, at least not the typical tourists. Of course Thai authorities know this as well as anybody else. They wanted to signal once more how much they like China, fine. They could include Pitcairn Island for all I care.

I think that being able to make statements which are "hype, false and disingenuous" is the minimum requirement for politicians in any country.