Covid Insurance- Scam????

john thom

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of any special insurance being required by any other country upon entry-. It seems to me that if your fully vaccinated, and follow masking when in crowded areas rules that would be ok.  Am I correct to think that Thai government just wants to collect little  extra cash?   Ohhh shudder the thought-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

you can get travel insurance bought on the net, from any country, not just thailand, so thai government doesn't see a baht from it.

But travel insurance might have many limitations. For example you have to come back to country it was issued at and you departed from every 3-6 months.  

Thai issued covid insurance can be solution, if you live in thailand. It does cover your international entry, but also protect you for the rest of year.

But yes, requirement $100k is far over what is needed in real life, probably $10k would be good enough, with premiums 10x lower.

Cambodia has requirement $50k. That was set yet before thailand introduced it's own.

But the real problem is, that thai insurer might not honour your policy. They can claim, that you intentionally infected yourself. That is the case with one of thai company, but name was not given to public. Many their clients filed complain with national insurance authorities, it will end up at courts

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

still unknown if they will continue with insurance after 1st november.

I think they will. Probably they will even offer at the airport, at premium.

Possibly they will lower cover to a reasonable figure.

The thing is - the next waves will be coming and fully vaccinated will also be hospitalised and needing home medical care. Also they can be positive and put into forced isolation when entering country. The government will argue that they are afraid of new strains

• Like 2

Thailand isn't alone requiring insurance before entering their country, so no scam and as mentioned by @internationalism you can purchase covid insurance from any country, although buying from inside Thailand will surely help the paperwork move along faster if someone catches covid here.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, bbko said:

Thailand isn't alone requiring insurance before entering their country, so no scam and as mentioned by @internationalism you can purchase covid insurance from any country, although buying from inside Thailand will surely help the paperwork move along faster if someone catches covid here.

I dont know of any other countries requiring it. but that not to say there aren't. 

The fact that other countries might require it, does not make it any less of a scam. 

I read yesterday's covid results, and out of 10,000 plus cases of covid for the day in Thailand 14 were from other countries, and I am sure some of those 14 were from people who arrived here unvaccinated, maybe from neighboring countries. 

I would love to see data an how much these covid insurance companies have received in premiums, and how much they have paid out.

The Thai government might not get any of that, but you can bet that many of the principles involved in this scheme have at the very least ties to the government.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I dont know of any other countries requiring it. but that not to say there aren't. 

The fact that other countries might require it, does not make it any less of a scam. 

I read yesterday's covid results, and out of 10,000 plus cases of covid for the day in Thailand 14 were from other countries, and I am sure some of those 14 were from people who arrived here unvaccinated, maybe from neighboring countries. 

I would love to see data an how much these covid insurance companies have received in premiums, and how much they have paid out.

The Thai government might not get any of that, but you can bet that many of the principles involved in this scheme have at the very least ties to the government.   

Not terribly difficult to check.

Appears that a majority of countries require some sort of COVID medical coverage before entry. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+medical+insurance+for+entry&oq=covid+medical+insurance+for+entry&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30l5.14023j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

.....and I'm sure they're all involved in the same kinda scam. ????

Edited by zzaa09

19 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Not terribly difficult to check.

Appears that a majority of countries require some sort of COVID medical coverage before entry. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+medical+insurance+for+entry&oq=covid+medical+insurance+for+entry&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30l5.14023j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

.....and I'm sure they're all involved in the same kinda scam. ????

I looked at that link.

Thank you very informative.From that link  It seems like the list of countries requiring covid insurance to enter are, Thailand, Thailand and Thailand. and with some modifications Thailand. ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, internationalism said:

still unknown if they will continue with insurance after 1st november.

I think they will. Probably they will even offer at the airport, at premium.

Possibly they will lower cover to a reasonable figure.

The thing is - the next waves will be coming and fully vaccinated will also be hospitalised and needing home medical care. Also they can be positive and put into forced isolation when entering country. The government will argue that they are afraid of new strains

On the Thailand Pass process schematic that's appeared on several sites, the first item on the left side says:

- Passport

-Vaccination Certificate

- Covid 19 Health Insurance

- Hotel booking 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

in the link posted on friday, some 30 countries need insurance, including italy, israel, emirates, turkey, russia.

There are also other touristy countries, which also need one.

I would think poor tourist countries will also be going in that direction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I looked at that link.

Thank you very informative.From that link  It seems like the list of countries requiring covid insurance to enter are, Thailand, Thailand and Thailand. and with some modifications Thailand. ???? 

Are you sure you looked at the right place. Might be some errors with your location settings on your computer/phone?

Which Countries Now Require Health Insurance For Entry | William Russell (william-russell.com)

Foreign travel insurance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

And thatwas just two. I really think you need to read better. ???? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

On the Thailand Pass process schematic that's appeared on several sites, the first item on the left side says:

- Passport

-Vaccination Certificate

- Covid 19 Health Insurance

- Hotel booking 

yes, that was well expected.

Yearly insurance for $100k is only 15k, but only up to 75 yo and without any underlying. Would cover unlimited international travel to thailand, rather than taking short policies each time, which would work out more expensive.

Would also cover long covid symptoms. One of them sometimes mentioned is impotence and infertility (in male and female)

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Are you sure you looked at the right place. Might be some errors with your location settings on your computer/phone?

Which Countries Now Require Health Insurance For Entry | William Russell (william-russell.com)

Foreign travel insurance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

And thatwas just two. I really think you need to read better. ???? 

I read better. perhaps I need to read beterer .

My life was happier before I saw your link . Don't go raining on my parade Grrr. 

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Seems like there is a trend in your life to exclude or miss a vital part of the information.

You seem to know a lot about my life. If you don't stop peeking through my window, I will call the cops on you.

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You seem to know a lot about my life. If you don't stop peeking through my window, I will call the cops on you.

No, I do not. I based my post on that you excluded "Except for the times when I don't tell the truth", in your post presented as "I never lie" and referred to the same signature. I also based my post on that you seem to not react on facts that are presented to you. I can not for my life see that will be something for the "cops" to have anything to say about. My post was based on your comments here, and not on your life. Why would I be interested in that? It´s not relevant to this forum, but what you post is.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, I do not. I based my post on that you excluded "Except for the times when I don't tell the truth", in your post presented as "I never lie" and referred to the same signature. I also based my post on that you seem to not react on facts that are presented to you. I can not for my life see that will be something for the "cops" to have anything to say about. My post was based on your comments here, and not on your life. Why would I be interested in that? It´s not relevant to this forum, but what you post is.

Relax!! I am not calling the cops on you.

Yet. 

57 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Yearly insurance for $100k is only 15k, but only up to 75 yo and without any underlying. Would cover unlimited international travel to thailand, rather than taking short policies each time, which would work out more expensive.

Would also cover long covid symptoms. One of them sometimes mentioned is impotence and infertility (in male and female)

what is the name of the company that offers that. Have health ins from my retirement in the U.S. , but have to pay here, then get reimbursed. If its only 15k for a year , it might be worth a look

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Relax!! I am not calling the cops on you.

Yet. 

Get back on topic, instead. You have been presented with hard facts that many countries demand Covid-19 insurance, but still oppose that, laugh at people that post links to the information and say you can only read that Thailand demands the insurance. There can only be three things:

• You do not understand what you read.
  • You just don´t care what you could read to get the facts.
  • You can not read.

As for what it is, I can not care less about. However, it would be nice if you presented some facts that informs us about that all the links you have been given is incorrect, as well as some statement about that Thailand is the only one that demand such insurance.

If you are unable to do that, then a suggestion would be that you actually try to read the links given to you and understand the information in those.

Thank you for your consideration, and have a nice day.

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

Re Covid 19 health Insurance.

I already took a policy which has the coverage needed for the previous COE.  

• - Loss of life by Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.
  • - Medical expenses (inpatient and outpatient) from Covid 19 equivalent to US$100,000-.

Because I have PR I must have the above but coverage just for a couple of months (not for the whole time in Thailand).

Premium was 2,880Baht.

This policy is available for folks up to 99 years old.

The policy came by e.mail with 3 documents:

• 1. Typical policy full of insurance jargon
  • 2. Easy to read summary with all the details the embassy wanted to see for COE, and several signatures.
  • 3. Receipt for payment.

I'm assuming (hoping / keeping my fingers crossed this policy will also suffice for the Thailand Pass.

Any comments as to my small paragraph immediately above welcome.