Anutin confirms reopening plan: Tourists must stay one night in place "where they can be contacted"

webfact

5 hours ago, gt162 said:

Eliminate the 1 night quarantine at ASQ hotel and replace it with rapid PCR test at the airport. If done right this can be done in 15-30 minutes.

This is doable and acceptable for both Thai government and foreigners/travelers/tourists. It should help with tourism.

But you also have to deal with the possibility of infection prior to and in transit.

When I came though Dubai 10 days ago 3 x 380s landed at the same time disgorging their self loading cargo into about a 3 metre passageway.

I must have been quite lucky that none surrounding me in the crush were infected. A PCR 72 hours before departure is bordering on useless, I would agree that tests should be done at the airport, both at check in and arrival.

When my friend returned to HK last year he was tested at the airport on arrival and couldn't leave the airport until he had the results, think he said about 8 hours. When I say leave the airport, that was either into quarantine for 2 weeks or a hospital.

Before the experts on Dubai airport chime in, there was a construction barrier that everyone had to squeeze past, one leg of the queue just couldn't move and stretched back as far as the eye could see.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's deputy prime minister and health mninister Anutin Charnvirakul confirmed that tourists arriving in Thailand will have to stay one night in a place where they can be contacted.

He did not refer to this as quarantine by name.

Or if it is within the hotel you booked for your holiday... still very grey areas considering everything was supposed to be crystal clear.

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

This is why you get Covid insurance that covers this sort of thing. Quite a racket!

Most travel insurance will say 'requiring emergency medical treatment' and frequently 'excludes quarantine requirements of the country' and being asymptomatic /not unwell and in hospital would be classified as quarantine. Believe me I’ve researched this!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Another day, another dictum.

Tourists who visit Thailand seem to risk several changes of policy during their stay and then have to confront their own country's policies on return.

The UK is beginning to show upturns in cases, hospital admissions and deaths.

Dear knows what the wh#re houses of Pattaya will lead to.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Depite his promise of better communication the minister didn't elaborate on what kind of hotel the tourists would have to stay in, just that they needed to be contactable

Sums him up in a nutshell...

Just now, nchuckle said:

Most travel insurance will say 'requiring emergency medical treatment' and frequently 'excludes quarantine requirements of the country' and being asymptomatic /not unwell and in hospital would be classified as quarantine. Believe me I’ve researched this!

Thanks for this.

Are there no policies that cover asymptomatic quarantine?

58 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Where in Thailand is there a place that you cannot be contacted? Mobile coverage is pretty universal and most people have a mobile phone.

I assumed 'contacted' in this case means a secure hotel (prison) that you are not allowed to leave where security personnel dressed in hazmat suits can come and collect and take you away should you get a positive test, or if someone sat near you on the plane happens to test positive.   I don't think 'where you can be contacted' means 'contactable' in the normal sense of the word here, it has a far more sinister meaning.   

6 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

"No alcohol!"

"Must pay for Thai quarantine hotel!"

"Must pay for Thai PCR test!"

"Must pay for Thai insurance!"

"Must fill in Thai paperwork!"

"What you mean, you not come?! Thailand special!!!"

hit the nail on the head mate Same old Same old. apart from foreigners coming back to family who would be stupid enough to want to come here Apocalypse Thailand ..all closed 

6 minutes ago, johnnyloda said:

In Europe no medical institution has the faintest idea what a fit-to-fly certificate is ... 

Not so they have been used for decades. Any Physician should be familiar for patients with medical issues who need authorization to travel by air. 

Alitalia MEDIF.pdf Lufhansa MEDIF.pdf Air France-MEDIF_EN.pdf

9 minutes ago, johnnyloda said:

In Europe no medical institution has the faintest idea what a fit-to-fly certificate is ... 

And doctors will be very hesitant to give you one (might even be against the law). But there might be ways to get one, even without a physical check, as long as you pay for it. It my country it was 60 euro to get one for my wife. Totally useless requirement by the Thai government.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Well done.

Unfortunately, this forum has a number of posters who have a very fleeting relationship with the scientific truth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

It must be true if its come from the UK Government. Dear oh dear. I suppose you take what the BBC tells you as gospel as well. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Not so they have been used for decades. Any Physician should be familiar for patients with medical issues who need authorization to travel by air. 

Alitalia MEDIF.pdf 835.77 kB · 1 download Lufhansa MEDIF.pdf 170.67 kB · 0 downloads Air France-MEDIF_EN.pdf 217.77 kB · 0 downloads

At least in The Netherlands (and I suppose many other countries) general practitioners are not allowed to give out a Fit to Fly document. You would need to go to a specialized clinic (and pay a steep price for the useless form....)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike KIWI said:

I just moved back over. Wanted to get out of NZ before vax become compulsory.

Well sorry  IMHO (apologies if you dont agree)

If you are NOT vaccinated you are one of the people who SHOULD NOT be flying or entering the country!

Edited by poohy
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Thanks for this.

Are there no policies that cover asymptomatic quarantine?

While I cannot definitively say none exist,it would be very unlikely. Thailand is one of the few (only?) countries that stipulate quarantine on being subsequently diagnosed after the event when not I’ll . The job of travel insurers is to sell a policy but for the actual underwriters who are the ones dealing with a claim to find reasons to exclude. Even if the policy wording is vague they would simply say there was no medical necessity and quarantine cost isn’t covered. At best you would be on the hook for considerable quarantine costs ,a risk not acceptable for the normal tourist. There may be a separate stand alone Thai policy,but the tourist only wants to be concerned with his normal travel insurance.