Anutin confirms reopening plan: Tourists must stay one night in place "where they can be contacted"

webfact

10 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You mean like Polio?

no polio is a very different disease. corona acts more like a flu virus that mutates so it is very difficult to vaccinate against. the current vaccine for example is not doing so well at combatting the latest variant as it didnt exist when our current vaccines were being developed. there is no on solution to covid like there was to polio. eventually we will go to a system of annual shots for those at risk but over time viruses tend to get less dangerous so vaccines may not even be required.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, PuaSai said:

Is this actually possible if you have a home to go to?  Or speculation?

I asked the question based upon the way the OP was worded.  I do have a home to go to and as I said am available to be contacted easily with my Thai number or my Condo's juristic office.  I know that many others that would be regular travelers and visitor would only have a hotel they booked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Your still going to need to be vaccinated and be tested before you fly to enter those countries.

I'd take Thailand over Spain or Portugal.

That said there fine countries. Definitely have better steaks!

If you want travel to Spain and you are fully vaccinated, you do not need a test before fly. 

This is the rule for most EU countries. There are also exceptions for certain countries with new virus mutations.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I asked the question based upon the way the OP was worded.  I do have a home to go to and as I said am available to be contacted easily with my Thai number or my Condo's juristic office.  I know that many others that would be regular travelers and visitor would only have a hotel they booked.

I thought it might be information you had learned about.  I'm planning on a December return after 20 months away, so I am chomping on the bit to get there.

9 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Why the PCRs if double vaxxed....?

Even he does not believe the vaccines are worth a $h1+.

In the long of it, you surely must know that they would figure out a manner in which to extract more unnecessary expense on the unsuspecting entering traveler. It's all about managing twisted and underhanded profit for the usual groups. 

We really didn't expect this revamped opening to be without it's illogical hitches and profiteering motive, did we? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just as I predicted last week and my subject was locked. Covid insurance will become mandatory for Retirement O-A visas I believe as of September 2022. Don,t believe me ? Go check yourself.

Insurance is already mandatory for O-A Visas (Retirement) as well as the extension of stays based upon that O-A visa for retirement that folks entered on like I did a few years back.  Most of the insurance policies cover Covid already like my PCH policy does.  So it's not really a change now is it.

• Like 1

My parents will arrive in Thailand early December from France. Due to the lack of clarity in the guidelines regarding quarantine itself and the uncertainty of which countries will be deemed "quarantine free" by then (surprisingly, France is not in the 5 countries listed at the the moment, for November 1st....), they had no choice but to book a quarantine hotel for a minimum of 7 days and 7 nights (those are the minimum requirements for such countries not on the list). They still don't know if they will have to quarantine in France on their way back or not , but they've been told that they would still need to show a PCR test taken in bangkok in the last 48 hours(covid free) before landing back in France . Even though getting a PCR test here is not as easy as in Europe and needs to be booked really in advance. So many hurdles. It is costly and time consuming. It is a drag. But we haven't seen each other for more than 2 years now so. Gotta do what you gotta do....

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

As well as I am chomping at the bit to get back to the US and see my kids I have not seen in two years as well as settling a family trust and estate that has been sitting uncompleted for 10 months.  Sure I could have flown back at anytime and returned but at the time a 10 day isolation on the arriving end and then a 2 week quarantine on the back end when returning here was just a tad overkill for a 4 week trip back to the US.  Leaving the family here for a few months or more like many folks did, some for almost 2 years as well was not something I wanted to do.  All my properties in the US are rentals and there is no way I would impose on my kids for an extended period of time. 

I wish I could have stayed, but I am still working.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I was able to get a fit to fly certificate last year for $40 ( online “ doctor” by appoint) and a second one for free from the same clinic were I got my PCR test done. I did see some rip off places that offered them for $150. But with a little homework you can do much better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

PCR tests and 1 day quarantine is necessary to ensure tourists do not have covid.  The vaccine does not nullify being able to receive/ spread covid. 

I agree entirely, but yet again Anutin has created more confusion than clarity with his statement.  Where are the tests to be conducted?  Airport, ASQ, or accommodation that has been booked by the Tourist? 

I appreciate that trying to manage this pandemic and the vaccine protocols is a bit of a challenge, but this Gentleman consistantly fails to communicate a clear and unambiguous message to the public.  Rather than announce a confusing statement, he would be better off putting the issue to Cabinet, to be discuss by all relevant Departments so that a clear and precise message of how travellers need to proceed. 

We have just had another two cancellations because I suspect the Visitors are unclear how to proceed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gary G said:

I was able to get a fit to fly certificate last year for $40 ( online “ doctor” by appoint) and a second one for free from the same clinic were I got my PCR test done. I did see some rip off places that offered them for $150. But with a little homework you can do much better. 

And let there be no question as to why Thailand is always viewed with a wary eye, particularly when you read these stories like this.  Indeed, it's not a story but reality.  It is a corrupt place with little in the way of checks and it's easy to get things done underground in the third world, not so much in the second or first world.  

Just in case you are wondering why you need to be taking extra days coming out of Thailand for quarantine, double COVID tests (checking upon arrival), etc.  And that's why Thailand does it too.  The entire country is corrupt.  

It's nothing new though is it?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

So it should be ok to go to the house that you own then? Yes? I'd still be contactable! 

Nah. Can't do that. Not profitable for the system. You're required [forced] to wait at the appropriate/official place of accommodation - out of your pocket expense, of course - 24hrs? 36hrs? And keep in mind, that they're surely not gonna be that organised when it comes to acting upon testing/conclusive results/contacting the individual for hundreds, if not thousands of people a day. I can just envision the calamity that might incur. 

It hasn't been touched upon or discussed enough regarding the possibilities of securing/using rapid test kits - which only take five minutes for results, which could ease backup and BS that are assured to come about. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's deputy prime minister and health mninister Anutin Charnvirakul confirmed that tourists arriving in Thailand will have to stay one night in a place where they can be contacted.

They can be contacted at the address every arrival gives on their TM6.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

There are enough, just have to do your due diligence before signing up to a policy. You can even get a "free" policy by flying Emirates: https://www.emirates.com/au/english/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance/

As to testing positive in Thailand, from their FAQ:

28. Am I covered for the costs of quarantine?

Subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, you are covered if you are unexpectedly placed into an individual mandatory quarantine outside your country of residence by an order of a governmental body for one of the following two reasons:

1. you test positive for a communicable disease the outbreak of which is declared an epidemic or pandemic; or
  2. such governmental body identifies you or any travelling companion, specifically, as having been exposed to a communicable disease the outbreak of which is declared an epidemic or pandemic

Good to know. There's another scenario which has happened on Phuket....you don't test positive, but someone sitting near you on the plane does. Then you are put into quarantine. Wonder if it would pay for that?

23 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

I agree entirely, but yet again Anutin has created more confusion than clarity with his statement.  Where are the tests to be conducted?  Airport, ASQ, or accommodation that has been booked by the Tourist? 

I appreciate that trying to manage this pandemic and the vaccine protocols is a bit of a challenge, but this Gentleman consistantly fails to communicate a clear and unambiguous message to the public.  Rather than announce a confusing statement, he would be better off putting the issue to Cabinet, to be discuss by all relevant Departments so that a clear and precise message of how travellers need to proceed. 

We have just had another two cancellations because I suspect the Visitors are unclear how to proceed.

He was pretty certain when he stated "Dirty Farangs"

• Like 2