The new, lower, COVID-19 insurance requirement

AJR3RD

Hello, everyone. I'm an American who's been having a wonderful time traveling throughout Mexico for the past few months, thinking about all of you, wishing you could join me. However, I do have home and family back in Thailand, and now that I am officially, fully vaccinated, I plan to spend a few weeks back in the States, then try to return to Thailand, where I have lived for more than a DECADE, but was unable to get a vaccine that ACTUALLY WORKS.

About the only thing giving me (and I suspect others) pause is what I consider to be the usurious, unscrupulous, and...well, let's just say it...unconscionable requirement to buy health INSURANCE that I do not want, do not need, and do not trust. Here's my question:

Have I been sipping a bit too heavy on the fine tequila here, or is there available an insurance company that will provide me with a policy at the lowest possible price to cover what (and...here's the really important part) ONLY WHAT is required by the government to get into the country now. That is to say, $50,000 coverage for COVID. Not for kidney stones. Not for motorcycle accidents. Not for STDs. Not for heart transplants. C.O.V.I.D. Period. Full stop. ONLY. Nothing else. 

OK, OK...I can hear the laughter from here. Just give me your best shot, right? I don't want phone calls. I don't want lifetime spam. Just a piece of F***ing paper that will get me back to my GF for the lowest possible price.

Am I dreaming? OK. I get it. Mexico's nice in winter.

THANKS!

D8C52023-8D44-4AF0-A26F-41CEAB280087_1_201_a.jpeg

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, AJR3RD said:

then try to return to Thailand, where I have lived for more than a DECADE, but was unable to get a vaccine that ACTUALLY WORKS.

Why not ? In Thailand, many of us have gotten ASTRA Zeneca or Pfizer fairly easily. In the USA just walk into any CVS or Walgreens pharmacy and get your free shot there too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

still premiums quoted are for $100k, should be adjusted shortly and possibly be halved.

Why would the premiums be halved? Hardly anybody costs the insurance companies over 50k. The premiums will probably stay the same, maybe reduced by a few percent.

Edited by jackdd

14 hours ago, tonray said:

Why not ? In Thailand, many of us have gotten ASTRA Zeneca or Pfizer fairly easily. In the USA just walk into any CVS or Walgreens pharmacy and get your free shot there too.

I waited for 6 months to be able to get a vaccine in Thailand, without success. Finally, I left to become fully vaccinated in the U.S. Uh...isn't that about what I said? 

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why would the premiums be halved?

Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised to seem the increase. (You need that vital baggage loss protection, don't you). Anyway - as you can see from the responses here so far, nobody has much of a clue. At least, not enough of one to offer like, oh...I dunno...A NAME OF AN INSURANCE COMPANY THAT SELLS 50K WORTH????????

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why would the premiums be halved? Hardly anybody costs the insurance companies over 50k. The premiums will probably stay the same, maybe reduced by a few percent.

that's why I have written "possibly". I don't know if, when and how much premiums would be lowered.

If premiums in thailand will be lower than those offered by travel insurance in the other countries, tourists will opt for the thai one. That way they will have a large market share, become leaders and with potential of many million policies per year.

The purpose of only covid insurance (as oppose to travel or health insurance) is it's low price and option to get it for short periods

• Like 1

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

The purpose of only covid insurance (as oppose to travel or health insurance)

If you know of a company that offers such insurance, by all means, let me and everyone else know the name. I've never found one, despite many hours of searching.

• Like 1

If the premiums are not reduced than the insurance is indeed a scam. I'm not saying they need to drop by 50% exactly but any insurance company that lasts has many algorithms and mortality tables that calculate how much they are liable and how likely they are to pay. These factors equate your premium. So if they are less liable then the premium SHOULD go down. I am well aware that This is Thailand but I'm just saying in the world of actuaries they should go down.

• Like 2

Here is some information https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance (updated October 24th 2021), you can fill in your age and period of stay and see prices from various insurers (it states at the top that insurance must cover 'travel and COVID-19' whatever that means). Note that this is only a limited selection, you could probably find others. If you are 65 and are looking for a 180 day period (just an an example) it appears that AXA and Tune are cheapest and furthermore also cover asymptotic covid cases. However, Tune actually covers one year, but it appears that the price (15,000 Baht) is similar to the previous policy that covered 100,000 USD and indeed when clicking the link you are directed to the 'old' page. Not sure whether these policies will be priced cheaper in the future due to the 50K requirement for the Thai Pass.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

personally I have opted for cancellation of my basic and cheap health policy and getting a new one, which covers also covid. And possibly long covid.

Just adjust it down with 300k deductible, but add accident 1mln for 1k baht 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but the reason the Thai govt is imposing a $50,000 requirement is that it will be guaranteed that the insurance company will pay for covid expenses. If you're getting a 300,000 baht deductible that is  partially missing the point.

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, wasabi said:

If the premiums are not reduced than the insurance is indeed a scam.

Of COURSE it's a scam. What I have found, so far, is that they are keeping their rates the same, but claiming that the $100k minimum is required by the countries from which one departs, e.g. the USA. No kidding - not making this up. They offer ONLY packages of things you don't need and don't want. Absolute minimum price I found for a person on O-A visa (1-year policy) is $US 2,300. Let me share a bit of advice with y'all. Vietnam isn't open yet - but it's a mega-deal compared to Thailand. GEORGIA allows Americans, Thais, and many other nationalities entry with ZERO hassle, 1-year, no restrictions. I've been there, explored it extensively, written about it - it's an AMAZING country. GORGEOUS. I've been to more than 70 countries, lived in 12. Thailand still has a place in my heart - but it's BROKEN. Not the same any more. Disney Siam World. Corruption rivaling Russia. It's very sad, but everything changed on October 13, 2016. A nation died on that day.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, internationalism said:

I don't think you know what you want. That's from you earlier posts:

"try to return to Thailand, where I have lived for more than a DECADE ... I do have home and family back in Thailand. ... Just a piece of F***ing paper that will get me back to my GF for the lowest possible price. Am I dreaming? OK. I get it. Mexico's nice in winter."

Are you married in thailand or you have gf? Or do you have wife and girlfriend, but coming back to see gf?

If married, why don't you get non O? You can enter thailand on visa exempt with 1 month insurance for 1500b and do extension based on marriage for a year.

You don't need to fork out for 1 year health insurance for O-A if you think you don't need it.

Instead of travelling through mexico you had chance to easily enter thailand by phuket sandbox from July. You could even invite wife, girlfriend to stay with you there.

"Vietnam isn't open yet"

Thailand is already opened. 

Possibly you can troll vietnam sub-forum, it's there, below thailand.

So for those of us like yourself that live here, need to get back to our home country and then return to continue living here in Thailand....what's the bottom line cost wise.?

I don't need a fancy or long term policy,  I self insure as I have too many pre existing  conditions to get cover.

Like you I have a few cheap policies that cover covid,  but not enough coverage to satisfy the Thai requirements.

Your response  and a recommendation  of a company would be very welcome.

Just a policy that will get me through the door is all I require

Many thanks

covid cover for just one month (that is the shortest offered, so far). From 1500 to 2500b (depending which country coming back from).

here is a tool to chose age, country, length https://asq.in.th/thailand-entry-requirements

Insurance suppose to cover to the end of extension but it's possible to get a throw away ticket (or rent ticket for $10/week) to any neighbouring country within a month and pretend you are only visiting thailand for short time.

That is good enough to fool CEO.

People are coming on emirates insurance included in their fare. But it's somehow difficult to do so if departing from thailand. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Sad 1

I like many I guess live in Thailand and I have yet to see any words on how people like me on a Retirement Visa are being treated. The priority seems to be tourists who will need to get one of these TGIA insurance schemes to gain entry, these schemes are not available to people who live in Thailand so what am I to do? I Have looked on 3 Thai insurance sites and although I can get insurance non mention covid-19, will the re entry permit be fit for purpose?

On 10/27/2021 at 1:24 AM, internationalism said:

Insurance suppose to cover to the end of extension but it's possible to get a throw away ticket (or rent ticket for $10/week) to any neighbouring country within a month and pretend you are only visiting thailand for short time.

That is good enough to fool CEO.

So - you're saying come in on a regular tourist visa - and the CEO won't NULLIFY your existing O-A? Man - that's a pretty big risk.

17 hours ago, nong38 said:

I like many I guess live in Thailand and I have yet to see any words on how people like me on a Retirement Visa are being treated. The priority seems to be tourists who will need to get one of these TGIA insurance schemes to gain entry, these schemes are not available to people who live in Thailand so what am I to do? I Have looked on 3 Thai insurance sites and although I can get insurance non mention covid-19, will the re entry permit be fit for purpose?

It doesn't matter which kind of visa you use (despite the required length of insurance), if you don't have any other insurance that would be applicable you can get one here: https://covid19.tgia.org/

9 hours ago, AJR3RD said:

So - you're saying come in on a regular tourist visa - and the CEO won't NULLIFY your existing O-A? Man - that's a pretty big risk.

No....read it again.

Return on your reentry permit with insurance for 30 days. Have available a hotel booking.com confirmation for Siem Reap for 30 days time and say you are visiting Cambodia. 

Personally, I think that the IOs will rely on Thailand Pass and will not scrutinise the insurance of every visitor.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

It doesn't matter which kind of visa you use (despite the required length of insurance), if you don't have any other insurance that would be applicable you can get one here: https://covid19.tgia.org/

According to their page that appears as the site appears there is  a warning and point 3 says that this insurance is not available to Thais or people who live in Thailand. Which to my understanding is that anyone wo does live here say on a marriage or retirement visa cannot got the insurance on offer at this site.

9 minutes ago, nong38 said:

According to their page that appears as the site appears there is  a warning and point 3 says that this insurance is not available to Thais or people who live in Thailand. Which to my understanding is that anyone wo does live here say on a marriage or retirement visa cannot got the insurance on offer at this site.

With a marriage or retirement visa you aren't "living" here according to Thai law, you are a "temporary visitor".

But that's not even relevant here.

What the popup obviously means is that this insurance is only people coming into Thailand from abroad.

If you are now in Thailand, purchase the insurance and catch covid in Thailand, without having travelled abroad, they would not pay.

You are supposed to purchase this insurance when abroad.

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

With a marriage or retirement visa you aren't "living" here according to Thai law, you are a "temporary visitor".

But that's not even relevant here.

What the popup obviously means is that this insurance is only people coming into Thailand from abroad.

If you are now in Thailand, purchase the insurance and catch covid in Thailand, without having travelled abroad, they would not pay.

You are supposed to purchase this insurance when abroad.

I suspect that if the insurance company had a claim against them they would clam that I was living in Thailand. I should buy travel insurance before the journey not during it to fulfill a requirement to re enter the country where I now live. As is often the case here the authorities keep changing the goal posts, Thai Pass coming soon and address most of the terms and conditions to the "millions" of tourists expected to arrive ( tea totalers in November ) and foget that there are other groups who need clarification.

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No....read it again.

Return on your reentry permit with insurance for 30 days. Have available a hotel booking.com confirmation for Siem Reap for 30 days time and say you are visiting Cambodia. 

Personally, I think that the IOs will rely on Thailand Pass and will not scrutinise the insurance of every visitor.

That won't work.