Anyone notice grocery prices going up here lately?

Kenny202

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Delivery charge is per order.

Spend 690bht and claim 7% discount.

Yes, but 225 g bottles of HP sauce were 120 Baht from Supermarkets a few months ago and now they are 160 Baht from Supermarkets and similarly priced when ordered from Lazada , which shows prices have gone up recently by a large percentage , which is what this thread is about . 

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but 225 g bottles of HP sauce were 120 Baht from Supermarkets a few months ago and now they are 160 Baht from Supermarkets and similarly priced when ordered from Lazada , which shows prices have gone up recently by a large percentage , which is what this thread is about . 

Some shoppers are just too lazy to find the best prices.

I'm retired, I have all the time in the world to fill.

Apart from cooking oil, none of my food prices have risen recently.

In fact it's cheaper for me shopping in Thailand today than it was in 2009 when I first arrived.

And that's taking into account the exchange rate changing from 50bht/GBP to 45bht/GBP.

I'm spending less percentage of my income now than at any previous time in my life.

Even the mortgage repayments have dropped from 11kbht/month to 9kbht/month.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Some shoppers are just too lazy to find the best prices.

I'm retired, I have all the time in the world to fill.

Apart from cooking oil, none of my food prices have risen recently.

In fact it's cheaper for me shopping in Thailand today than it was in 2009 when I first arrived.

And that's taking into account the exchange rate changing from 50bht/GBP to 45bht/GBP.

OK, so where can I get a bottle of 225 g HP sauce for 120 Baht , like I could a few months ago ?

It just isn't possible for you to be paying less for the same things you were buying 12 years ago , everyone in Thailand is paying more then they were 12 years ago due to inflation  . 

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It just isn't possible for you to be paying less for the same things you were buying 12 years ago , everyone in Thailand is paying more then they were 12 years ago due to inflation  . 

Yes, inflation has been with us for ever, and over my lifetime, I have learned to live with it, even in Thailand, where I do see price disparity from time to time, but that's life.

I never baulk at the price of anything, because if I want it, I buy it, for me it's that simple, however I'm sure that people living on a budget would think otherwise, and on that point I have seen some great "promotions" on the price of goods, and if one cares to look, one can still find well priced goods/food.

Not only that, one thing that rests nicely in the back of my mind is that if ever I should hit a financial catastrophe, there are plenty of low-priced foods here, which I can buy and live on – – in that regard I think we've got the best of both worlds here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I never baulk at the price of anything, because if I want it, I buy it, for me it's that simple, however I'm sure that people living on a budget would think otherwise, and on that point I have seen some great "promotions" on the price of goods, and if one cares to look, one can still find well priced goods/food.

Not me, I insist on value for money on everything ......... even though I'm unlikely to ever run out of money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry to disagree with you but,

HP Sauce, Typhoo Tea, Robertson's Mincemeat, and other imported foods have never been cheaper in Thailand. Pepsi is down from 40bht to 32bht for a 2 litre bottle in BigC.

About the only item I'm finding more expensive recently is cooking oil.

I think rising food prices in Thailand is more to do with CP taking over all the supermarkets.

If you don't shop at supermarkets, you won't see many price changes.

I wouldn't disagree with you. If you're actually shopping an open markets then prices very well might be more stable.

I avoid CP stores like the plague. Big C has decent produce and a large variety of products. I've always liked it far better than Tesco and it's much closer for me. I also have foodland nearby.

But I'm just simply not going to bother shopping in an open market for the amount of food that we cook. Ever the more so with covid and the open market nearest US was a covid flashpoint. Both my wife and myself work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adexgh said:

The ponzi fiat based system is coming to ad end. Before that central bankers will print endless amount of currency will devalue it until 0 to make sure you stay poor and dependent to them all your life.

Hey but don't worry..buy Bitcoin and get out from this ponzi.

preach! BTC FTW ????

On 10/27/2021 at 5:06 AM, cmarshall said:

What I do notice is that I was able to extend my rental lease this month without the landlord's even asking for any increase.  In fact, we pay a lower rent now for a bigger apartment than we did ten years ago for a smaller unit in the same building.

So, groceries are chickenfeed, relatively speaking.

Have to agree with you there. I have had the same rent for 5 years and it was cheap when I first got it. Rent here is way under parity with land values / repayments. Back home rent would be aprox equal to what bank loan repayments would be or up to 20% more. Probably one of the cheapest costs of living here. And it is still cheap to live here, but prices are going up and wages are not. That's never a good scenario for a country, particularly one needing to compete in the export / manufacturing sector. Probably will be good for expats though however things never usually pan out logically here....TIT

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is about that, but really I was talking about local, basic staples. Could be a whole bunch of factors affecting imported goods one of them being the apparent huge hike in shipping costs and shortage of shipping space / containers 

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It is about that, but really I was talking about local, basic staples. Could be a whole bunch of factors affecting imported goods one of them being the apparent huge hike in shipping costs and shortage of shipping space / containers 

Would point out local basic staples aren't transported in shipping containers.

Would also point out HP Sauce is a basic staple for all Brits.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nothing wrong with pork (chops), I have more pork chops than I do red meat.

I can prefer pork roast to beef. PORK is actually better thrn beef.  There was one famous football coach that made his players only eat pork and not beefPork is actually richer in thiamine, a B vitamin required for a range of bodily functions, than other red meats like beef and lamb

• Thanks 1

Grocery costs are the least of worries here, I don’t even notice. Enough ways to save on it too if necessary.

Bulk shopping + partly online is the magic here too. I save up to 50% on baby milk, diapers, soap, toiletries, cleaning stuff, toilet paper etc etc.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, BritManToo said:

15Kg gas has reduced from 400bht to 365bht this month.

I've not really noticed anything going up in price.

75" LG TV is down from 40kbht to 35kbht.

Not noticed anything going up in price?? I take it you are not a car owner, fuel prices have almost doubled in last 15 months, so as every commodity in Thailand is transported by road all prices will rise, basic economics. ????????

1 hour ago, mickyr55 said:

Not noticed anything going up in price?? I take it you are not a car owner, fuel prices have almost doubled in last 15 months, so as every commodity in Thailand is transported by road all prices will rise, basic economics. ????????

When I came here in 2009 petrol was 33bht/liter. Haven't filled up this month, but last month it was still less than that.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, arick said:

I can prefer pork roast to beef. PORK is actually better thrn beef.  There was one famous football coach that made his players only eat pork and not beefPork is actually richer in thiamine, a B vitamin required for a range of bodily functions, than other red meats like beef and lamb

Pork chops, Ozzie beef for pasta's and burgers, as for lamb, that is a delicacy for me, ah the good old days, lamb on the spit with a big crowd of friends, two or three of us standing there by the spit while the lamb was going around and when it was ready we would peel off some of that crispy hot skin with beer in hand, no comparison to anything else that I know, except for when the land was served by the girls with a Greek salad soaked in Greek olive oil.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Pork chops, Ozzie beef for pasta's and burgers, as for lamb, that is a delicacy for me, ah the good old days, lamb on the spit with a big crowd of friends, two or three of us standing there by the spit while the lamb was going around and when it was ready we would peel off some of that crispy hot skin with beer in hand, no comparison to anything else that I know, except for when the land was served by the girls with a Greek salad soaked in Greek olive oil.  

Ask Sam Kecovitch.. U know it makes sense! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everything is normal, expect prices to rise even further. It's the goal of central bankers printing unlimited amount of those useless currencies you have in your pocket. People without assets will become a slave peasant, sad to say but it is.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, arick said:

Pork is actually classified as a red meat as you stated.

Not good in excess.

Edited by alphonse